Old 11-11-2021, 09:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Opinions on Reproduction Brake Booster

I'm thinking about getting a reproduction brake booster ... any comments on their quality etc? Talking about the ones with the proper plating, Delco stamp etc.

Figure a rebuild kit is $129, I can get one of these new boosters for about $160 .. seems like a good deal compared to learning the rebuild process and doing all the cleanup of the original.

Although I am willing to rebuild the original if you guys advise that rather than a reproduction. Absolutely correctness is not an issue really.

Old 11-11-2021, 09:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Booster Dewey in PDX, if still in business. He is the guy to ask.

The Following User Says Thank You to Scarebird For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2021, 11:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've used a few, they seem to work well and the braking feel seems the same as a factory booster. I have one that has an annoying whistle (I can't really hear it myself anymore at 57 but my wife can!).

Main issue for someone keen on authenticity is that chromate coloration is not really right looking, too dark and without that "spangle" pattern of the original.

1969 LeMans Safari 2 seat Wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 Hardtops & Judge Hardtop)
1969 Catalina (3 Cvt’s & a 2dr hardtop)
1969 Ventura 2 Seat Wagon
1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
1969 Bonnie 3 Seat Wagon (2 of them)
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr Hardtop & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix SJ (2 of them)
1969 2+2 2dr Hardtop (Canadian model)
The Following User Says Thank You to north For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2021, 08:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've got two of these boosters on my GTO and Chevelle and have installed them on a lot of other cars. In my experience they have been great...
look nice and they work great for years and years and the plating really holds up.
On the ones I have bought, I have had to shim the master cylinder with a washer
on each of the master cylinder studs or the brakes won't release all the way.......no big deal if you know that you need to do it........I routinely do this on every one I
install. One standard flat washer on each stud is enough to do the trick.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gtohurstjudge For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2021, 10:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mine is going on 15 years old and no issues whatsoever. Looks great still and plating has held up very well. Like North said the plating shade is a little off, almost washed out somewhat compared to the original but that never was an issue when it was judged in concurs class at the POCI and GTOAA conventions. The Delco Moraine stampings are very crisp and show well.

I will admit I wish I had the original on my car still for purist reasons and I still have my original in a box but, it was pitted and re-plating it would have done nothing to correct the pitting. The new one made the most sense.

67 Bonneville 428 convertible one of one Verdoro green w/parchment, documented GM brass hat parade car with every option for 67, non running MAJOR future project.

Last edited by Mark Simiele; 11-11-2021 at 10:45 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark Simiele For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2021, 10:52 PM

The Delco stamp, mine is original on a '69 and doesn't have it. Anyone know what is correct? I recall reading the Delco stamp was usually found on GM replacements.

Old 11-12-2021, 06:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Two 70, I have my original booster and it has no stamp. I'll probably hold on to it and maybe have it done up in the future, surface is in nice shape.

GTO Hurst ... interesting ... is there a gasket between the booster and the MC?

Old 11-12-2021, 10:42 AM

I bought and had installed a reproduction power booster unit from Ames (with Delco stamp) and my brakes (pedal) operate less easily than with the old booster unit I had in the car . I have been told since I have a cam in the car (.475 lift and maybe 1.6 rockers) I'm only pulling 12" of vacuum and the booster units are designed for 14" + vacuum but the old unit operated easier than my new one.

The Following User Says Thank You to Carousel72TRed For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2021, 12:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I not sure the criteria but some of the reproductions require using the second hole in the brake pedal link ... which would change the leverage you feel at your foot. I'm not sure which hole they mean by "second" ... but if moved to the upper hole it should require less pedal pressure with shorter stroke, lower hole more pedal pressure with longer stroke.

Old 01-03-2022, 08:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Got my reproduction brake booster ... seems like a nice piece. Replaced the check valve with a NOS Delco piece the proper color. Tested it with a vacuum pump and it works.

GtoHurstJudge .. I kept in mind your tip about the spacing. I noticed the reproduction has a seal in the MC side that differs from the OEM design .. it fits into the cavity on the booster like a rubber washer, the OEM piece is a rubber "cup" with a flange that get's trapped between the rear of the MC and the front of the booster .. this flange is about the thickness of two washers, I assume it compresses some when the MC is tightened to the booster. I'm wondering if this is where the missing length comes from ... I installed the new booster using the OEM piece from my original booster ... won't know if it works untill everything is buttoned up ... but easy enough to change out and add the washers if I need to.

Old 01-11-2022, 06:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Got my reproduction brake booster ... seems like a nice piece. Replaced the check valve with a NOS Delco piece the proper color. Tested it with a vacuum pump and it works.

GtoHurstJudge .. I kept in mind your tip about the spacing. I noticed the reproduction has a seal in the MC side that differs from the OEM design .. it fits into the cavity on the booster like a rubber washer, the OEM piece is a rubber "cup" with a flange that get's trapped between the rear of the MC and the front of the booster .. this flange is about the thickness of two washers, I assume it compresses some when the MC is tightened to the booster. I'm wondering if this is where the missing length comes from ... I installed the new booster using the OEM piece from my original booster ... won't know if it works untill everything is buttoned up ... but easy enough to change out and add the washers if I need to.
Your signature: At least you are not a sesquipedalianist!

Land of Lakes Muscle Car Classic
Facebook Event
Facebook Wall (Kurt Smith,Minneapolis)
The Following User Says Thank You to 68gtoMN For This Useful Post: