Old 11-17-2021, 10:13 AM
Senior Chief

Default Where to purchase a Tremec TKX kit

Several vendors sell complete install application specific kits, any preference on who to use?

Looking to change my 68 firebird from auto to manual, want a kit that includes all items necessary.

Old 11-17-2021, 10:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought from American Powertrain. I got everything I needed.

Old 11-17-2021, 11:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought Silver Sport . very happy, very complete kit

The Following User Says Thank You to dld For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2021, 12:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I ordered a tkx kit 6 weeks ago from American Powertrain.

Old 11-17-2021, 12:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If you have a factory console and the shifter is offset, ask about shift tower placement and any cutting

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Old 11-17-2021, 12:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

https://shiftsst.com/blog/post/1970-...-Firebird.html

watch video

Old 11-17-2021, 01:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

I have talked with both american powertrain and silver sport. I got better service from silver sport. when the time comes I'll be going with them.

Old 11-17-2021, 01:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

pic of my 70 t/A . note the shifter location
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1826.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	578005  

The Following User Says Thank You to dld For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2021, 01:49 PM

Mine is coming from American Powertrain
Ross has been great has made changes as i have add things to my order along the way there kit has everything not so with other vendors they just have tons of add ons which make them quite expensive.

Old 11-17-2021, 01:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've dealt with both American Powertrain and Silversport. I tend to go back more often than not to American Powertrain. I really like their White Lightening shifter better as it is more versatile and has more positions for finite adjustment to fit exactly where you want it in a console application. I also like the American Powertrain cross members better. Much more adjustment there too.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
The Following User Says Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2021, 01:51 PM
Senior Chief

I filled out the information for both SST and American Power Train for the quick quote. I did SST last week and got no reply, sent them another request today.
I take initial interaction with companies very highly, if they don't reply when they are trying to get your money, then likely it only gets worse once they got your money.

Old 11-17-2021, 02:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bought my TKO600 from Silver Sport December 5th, 2019 and completely satisfied. In previous years they ran a sale at the end of the year. Don't know if they will follow suite the year. They called it the SST Best Sale of the Year and offered 10% off and free shipping. Ordered my Dana 60 at the same time from Strange and they offered about the same deal. Silver Sport was super quick and didn't charge my card until they shipped. Strange was slow and charged my card on day of order, but other than that they came through also.

I emailed a question to a Silver Sport sales rep pretty late at night from California. His response was 2:15 AM his time. Still don't know if he had notifications on all night or just happened to be up for some reason. We were doing the install Saturday afternoon and called the Silver Sport tech line figuring we'd be leaving a message. Guy answered while he was at his son's game and got us back working. Things can change in two years, but they sure impressed me back then.

Last edited by lust4speed; 11-17-2021 at 02:07 PM.
Old 11-17-2021, 02:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Because I have used factory linkage and such I have never bought a "kit"Just bought the trans,Xmember and had the drive shaft shortened local.Factory bell,bought the flywheel and clutch separate.Did 3 setups that way.Tom

Old 11-17-2021, 03:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I thought them not sending the drive shaft until I sent measurements to S.S. was strange . But the sales guy said we keep the drive shaft until you need it .

That's when we start your warranty. he followed with we know you guys can take awhile building you car .

Old 11-17-2021, 03:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dld View Post
I thought them not sending the drive shaft until I sent measurements to S.S. was strange . But the sales guy said we keep the drive shaft until you need it .

That's when we start your warranty. he followed with we know you guys can take awhile building you car .
Yeah that's starting to become more common. They used to just send the driveshaft with the kits as they pretty much had measurements figured out for different applications. But as they got more and more comebacks with shafts too long or too short they started waiting until the install was complete and a measurement was taken.

Seems as these cars get older and more people are changing things like rearend housings and who knows what else, they can't base there measurements on what it should be theoretically anymore.

I generally don't buy the driveshafts from them anyway. I have them made locally.

Old 11-17-2021, 04:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have dealt with Silver Sport and had really good service from them. I actually bought a Kiesler SS700 from Keisler and now it has failed. In the past I have had shifter problems which I able to resolve on my own and had shifter rattles even though I had replaced their again, proprietary parts. Silver Sport has been able to get me proprietary parts for the Keisler and I can't emphasize enough that service from Silver Sport has been stellar, but I hear Silver has sold the company or is about to.

Silver Sport uses basically the same propriety shifter that the Kiesler used that requires machining of the tail housing and producing these proprietary shifter parts. For that reason alone I have decided to buy my new trans from American Powertrain. I want to be able to install my new transmission in another car if I choose and with White Lightening I can do that or if the shifter fails I can buy another brand. I too bought the White Lightening shifter which gives a myriad of shifter locations without altering the the trans itself.

I ordered it about a month ago, 12 week lead time.

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 11-17-2021, 04:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
Yeah that's starting to become more common. They used to just send the driveshaft with the kits as they pretty much had measurements figured out for different applications. But as they got more and more comebacks with shafts too long or too short they started waiting until the install was complete and a measurement was taken.

Seems as these cars get older and more people are changing things like rearend housings and who knows what else, they can't base there measurements on what it should be theoretically anymore.

I generally don't buy the driveshafts from them anyway. I have them made locally.
It was in the package deal. I was converting the car from a auto.
trans
bell
hydronic clutch linkage and bearing / cylinder
pedals and pads
shifter handle plus ball like o.e.
shifter boot
speedo cable and gear
cross member
nuts, bolts, lube
shaft

the instructions were off the chart . very, very illustrated
and I felt good price $5200.00

Old 11-17-2021, 04:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dld View Post
It was in the package deal. I was converting the car from a auto.
trans
bell
hydronic clutch linkage and bearing / cylinder
pedals and pads
shifter handle plus ball like o.e.
shifter boot
speedo cable and gear
cross member
nuts, bolts, lube
shaft

the instructions were off the chart . very, very illustrated
and I felt good price $5200.00
Understandable, there is something to be said for one stop shopping and the kits are pretty nice. Price isn't bad either

Old 11-17-2021, 04:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieT/A View Post
I have dealt with Silver Sport and had really good service from them. I actually bought a Kiesler SS700 from Keisler and now it has failed. In the past I have had shifter problems which I able to resolve on my own and had shifter rattles even though I had replaced their again, proprietary parts. Silver Sport has been able to get me proprietary parts for the Keisler and I can't emphasize enough that service from Silver Sport has been stellar, but I hear Silver has sold the company or is about to.

Silver Sport uses basically the same propriety shifter that the Kiesler used that requires machining of the tail housing and producing these proprietary shifter parts. For that reason alone I have decided to buy my new trans from American Powertrain. I want to be able to install my new transmission in another car if I choose and with White Lightening I can do that or if the shifter fails I can buy another brand. I too bought the White Lightening shifter which gives a myriad of shifter locations without altering the the trans itself.

I ordered it about a month ago, 12 week lead time.
And that's really the part that bothers me and why I don't deal with Silver Sport. As you already know, I was stuck in the middle of that bankruptcy deal with Keisler years ago, and Silver Sport took that over, with many of the same people still working there. I had a long discussion with the owner about those SS700 transmissions back then and there was a long drawn out dispute with blueprints and the rights to this or that and a lot of money owed, leases not being paid etc..... You were probably lucky to get the proprietary parts for the shifter.

It all left a bad taste in my mouth. Now with rumors they may sell I just avoid them all together.

Old 11-17-2021, 04:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

According to my salesman Matthew at American Powertrain they have sold over 1500 trans of the model trans I ordered(1 of 4 models) as of the time of my ordering. We should all be in the aftermarket tranny business.

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars