Old 12-19-2021, 11:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry, I meant to say the one on the trop of the firewall near the jacket

1969 LeMans Safari 2 seat Wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 Hardtops & Judge Hardtop)
1969 Catalina (3 Cvt’s & a 2dr hardtop)
1969 Ventura 2 Seat Wagon
1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
1969 Bonnie 3 Seat Wagon (2 of them)
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr Hardtop & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix SJ (2 of them)
1969 2+2 2dr Hardtop (Canadian model)
Old 12-20-2021, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by north View Post
Sorry, I meant to say the one on the trop of the firewall near the jacket
Ok , feel better now, it's not to easy to find tks

Old 12-20-2021, 03:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtohurstjudge View Post
I concur.......the stock A/C on my 69 has been freezing me out of the car for 50 years
Yeah your both right. Forget my original post. The ac is the best thing I ever added to my 71. To the op. Go for it. Spend 3000 bucks converting to old technology. Thanks for correcting my opinion.

236 244@ .050 108 LSA .511 lift, duration 289,297 @.oo6
Edelbrock Aluminum 87cc round port heads Larger valves ,ported polished and cut
Powerjection3,T2 manifold, Try-y’s
Flowcooler water pump.
71 formula with TKO600,hydraulic clutch 3.42 posi and 26 inch tire.
17x9 YO Honeycombs with Nitto 555's
Old 12-20-2021, 04:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

AC still worked fine on my 68 GTO when I bought it in 1976 with 90k miles on it. Plan on refreshing the OEM system, will use R12 if I can, new blower motor, rebuilt compressor. Evaporator looks almost new, will have the condenser tested, vacuum tested all the diaphragms, cleaned all the switches ... so far so good.

My only complaint about the OEM system is the compressor ... seems a bit much, I'll look into something newer if there is anything compatible with the old system.

Old 12-20-2021, 05:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I would agree with your post.
For the record, it wasn’t directed at you I must have “quoted” the wrong guy. Kudos to all the guys with a car that came with factory ac and it’s so cold there are penguins in the globe box. Go you!!!! Yours didn’t come with ac and mine isn’t where I wanted it to be given the investment.
That said it was a dickish response nevertheless so just ignore it.

236 244@ .050 108 LSA .511 lift, duration 289,297 @.oo6
Edelbrock Aluminum 87cc round port heads Larger valves ,ported polished and cut
Powerjection3,T2 manifold, Try-y’s
Flowcooler water pump.
71 formula with TKO600,hydraulic clutch 3.42 posi and 26 inch tire.
17x9 YO Honeycombs with Nitto 555's

Last edited by lfdsteve; 12-20-2021 at 05:25 PM.
Old 02-06-2022, 03:11 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiacman63383 View Post
So ive got a 69 lemans that was a non-ac car that im installing the factory ac system in and have a few questions. Ive got a few templates for cutting the firewall but still have a few questions. On the underdash box, there two holes and the top and bottom that have holes but no bolts. From the looks of it these holes would be inside of the firewall case so i cant imagine there should be bolts there. Maybe some kind of alignment pins? Anyone know what the holes are for? ( see the attached pic. Holes are circled.) Second question is can someone take a measurement before the top of the firewall box and the lip of the cowl so i know if my marks put the box in the right place (see the other attached pic of when i need the measurement. ) thanks for your help guys!
I added a complete factory A/C system to my '68 GTO nearly 30 years ago. I was able to use the firewall from the donor car. I cut out the necessary area and then welded it into my car after removing the non-A/C firewall piece.

With regards to the interior A/C box, the holes are for alignment pins. That box attaches under the dash and mates up with the heater-A/C box that houses the blend doors. There is a square gasket that is sandwiched between the box attached to the interior firewall and the color matched box that directs air to the A/C vents in the dash pad.

It is a very formidable job that will require making cuts in the metal part of the dash at the far ends of the dash on each side.

Not an easy job, but it can be done. Remember, R-12 is not available in the USA, but can be imported from our good friends in China at a very high cost. You may want to look into finding a compressor that works with R132a. It will not look original, but are you interested in what it looks like, or being cold in the summer?
Be prepared to see a drop in MPG, but going form 15 MPG to 12 or 10 is probably not that big of a deal. Good LucK!

Old 02-06-2022, 03:15 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennhill View Post
Tks I've been collecting parts for several years but ambient sensor on rad. ? I know about firewall one. I'll have to look at my reference books again. Um not going 100% stock but want the look (new rad, sniper fuel ,compressor ,its father & son project..tks so much
Ambient sensor is supposed to go on the passenger side above the firewall. Never heard of it going near the radiator.

Old 02-06-2022, 04:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Box Rebel View Post
..............Remember, R-12 is not available in the USA.......
You apparently haven't looked very hard for R-12 lately. It's fairly readily available with all the cans that were hoarded back in the 90's and before. Check out ebay. I found lots of original cans there. Just make sure you don't buy "R12 replacement" or R12a or some other nonsense like that. Make sure it's genuine R12.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/125125587683
https://www.ebay.com/itm/325032281325

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Box Rebel View Post
.............. You may want to look into finding a compressor that works with R134a. ........
The original A6 will work fine for R-134a. You just have to drain out the mineral oil and replace with PAG150 or whatever the correct viscosity of PAG is for this compressor.

Old 02-07-2022, 01:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

hgerhardt .... if a person buys a new A6 will it come with PAG type oil? I see them being sold brand new these days. Also rebuilt.

How critical is it to clean out every last drop of mineral oil from the various other components? I mean is like a teaspoon of mineral oil total going to cause harm?

Old 02-07-2022, 02:34 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
hgerhardt .... if a person buys a new A6 will it come with PAG type oil? I see them being sold brand new these days. Also rebuilt.

How critical is it to clean out every last drop of mineral oil from the various other components? I mean is like a teaspoon of mineral oil total going to cause harm?
While I've never actually done this mod (my '66 GTO is still R-12), I've read that a bit of residual mineral oil is no problem as it settles out in the lowest point and stays there. Mineral oil won't mix with R-134a.

And as for a new/rebuilt A6, I'm not sure what oil it comes with, so better to ask the manufacturer, but probably nowadays it would be PAG... which means if you are going to use a new/rebuilt A6 in an R-12 system, better drain it and replace with mineral oil.

The Following User Says Thank You to hgerhardt For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2022, 04:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hoping to use R12, I know a guy with a horde But just wanted to know what the options are. Up in the air whether or not to try using the original A6 I have from a 56K mile car. Seems to be in pretty good shape, and not sure if I want to learn how to rebuild an AC compressor.