Old 12-14-2021, 02:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Pink Mist 68 Bird 400 Convertible

Think this is the only 68 Bird in Pink Mist that is now known to the public ?
The only other Bird I can recall is a 67 326 car, that might be a different shade of Pink.
Seems like no other 68 Birds could be found/shown in past thread(s) about this color.

I'm on a tablet device while my laptop is sick, and can't link to the car with this tablet.
If someone else could do a link, that would be appreciated.

It is on the Mecum Auction site, slated for Kissimmee in January.

The PHS Invoice would be something to see if it can ever be captured.
Possibly a PMD car .... Loaded
and says it has the Bird Logo Door Glasses too !

On the other side of the coin, seems there is only one 68 LeMans and one 68 GTO openly known in PinkMist.
Not to say these 3 cars were the only ones made, just the only ones known. iirc

Old 12-14-2021, 03:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have heard of and seen other pink mist 68 birds but never a 400 car, much less a 400 convertible.

Old 12-14-2021, 03:15 PM

Here’s the car: https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0122-48...d-convertible/

Old 12-14-2021, 03:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinindian68 View Post
Here’s the car:
Thanks Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Zeppelin View Post
.... The PHS Invoice would be something to see if it can ever be captured.
Possibly a PMD car .... Loaded
oops , no PHS Invoices on 68's - meant to say the Billing History Card.

Old 12-14-2021, 05:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Very interesting, but I couldn't do it.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 12-14-2021, 07:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Rare and cool, but ugly IMO. Looks like it sold at Mecum in 2019. Here's an article I found about the color from Hemmings.

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/200...s-up-with-that
Quote:
On pink cars, the trend with pink cars probably started before Mary Kay, as Playboy called their color 'Playmate Pink' on the Playmate of the Year car given away in 1964. There is a file on my site with photos of Angela Dorian aka Victoria Vetri who was the Playboy Playmate of the Year in 1968 and got a brand new....pink AMX. Unfortunately she hated the color and it would end up being brown, grey then black as time went on, but she still owns it.
The AMX is ugly too.

Old 12-14-2021, 08:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a couple of photos I took at POCI Greensboro 1985, there was a Pink Mist 68 Firebird convertible there with white top and IIRCC maybe a Parchment interior. I don't think it was a 400 car, though (won't know unless I unearth the photos, and I'm not at home). Neither were we so tuned in back then as to take pictures of the placard with owner's info.

Side note that could derail this thread, there was a 400 car there with pot metal RAM AIR badges on the hood next to the 400 badges. It may have been a convertible in a non-stock dark red metallic.

On the off chance I get time to look for my old pictures when I get home, I'll try to get them posted here.

Old 12-14-2021, 08:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey einstein, I remember that car too. Think it was a Playmate of the Year car & that they painted a good number that color? Wish I could remember the paint code.
Man, that show was HOT! Well over 100 degrees and on asphalt!

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
Old 12-14-2021, 09:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just a short derail maybe, it was = Come to the Sticks in 86 = Greensboro NC POCI Convention slogan.
my hometown

The 68 with chrome RamAir hood emblems was a Ram1 4spd Convertible
Autumn Bronze, std White interior, afraid to say whether top was black or white.
Real nice car and belonged to a friend of mine.
He bought it in that condition and the emblems were already on it.
Maybe original to the car , can't say.
Those emblems used the same peg holes as any regular CID call-out emblem.
It just had RamAir on the Hood , no 400 call outs on the hood.
It was also For Sale at that time, either 8500 or 10,500

He also had a Triple Turquoise 400 Automatic Convertible there too.
Original paint survivor with lower mileage.
It had virtually every option except wood wheel.
Cruise, etc etc etc etc etc, BirdGlass
Hard loaded like a freight train.
I think it was Keith K who had pics from 86 of that Turq car.
It was also For Sale
I wanted it BAD , but he wanted more for it than the Bronze Ram1 4spd car.
Me no had them kind of coins

Will be super super cool if you find your old pics later.
I do not remember the Pink 68 , but back then I would have thought it was a goofy color change and paid it little or no attention at all.

The 69 Ram5 Judge (with factory exhaust manifolds and shift light hood tach) that Purely PMD built in Albuquerque NM was unveiled there .

The Damn Good old days

Old 12-14-2021, 10:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by thews View Post
Rare and cool, but ugly IMO. Looks like it sold at Mecum in 2019. Here's an article I found about the color from Hemmings.

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/200...s-up-with-that

The AMX is ugly too.
The guy that wrote that article is wrong. Mary Kay Ash ordered her first pink Cadillac from a Texas Cadillac dealership in 1967. In 1968 they started their program with GM for corporate cars that were leased from GM.

Little known fact is, MK doesn't own the cars, they lease them for the promotion of their top sales people. MK pays the monthly lease payment as long as your sales figures exceed their quota, if you fall short, the payment is all yours.....

My daily driver is a MK car. It's a 1999 SE Grand Prix. My parents purchased it in 2000 when it was turned back off of lease. Both my parents have passed, my dad in 2007 and my mother in 2020. I inherited their car, and driving it makes me feel closer to both of them.

The pink on that car is really light pink, depending on the light it's often mistaken for white.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 12-14-2021, 10:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There's a 400 HO convertible out there that's been on eBay a few times, and is claimed to have left the factory as Pink Mist. It was red the first time it sold, and blue the second time... but is claimed to have the Special Paint code on its PHS docs, and originally pink.

I once bought a carburetor for a '67 400 Bird I had at the time from a farmer in rural SW Virginia. When I drove out to pick it up, he showed me a pink '68 convertible he had in his barn that was in pretty good shape and original. That was in the mid-'80s, and I don't recall if it was a 400 car or not (I'm thinking no).

Quote:

He also had a Triple Turquoise 400 Automatic Convertible there too.
Original paint survivor with lower mileage.
It had virtually every option except wood wheel.
Cruise, etc etc etc etc etc, BirdGlass
Hard loaded like a freight train.
I think it was Keith K who had pics from 86 of that Turq car.
Yep... still remember that car - it was gorgeous. First POCI / big Pontiac show I'd ever been to as well -- I was pretty wide eyed!

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
Old 12-15-2021, 02:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

there were several pink 68 pontiacs of all models sold here in tulsa. there are still a few of them around.

Old 12-15-2021, 10:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
The guy that wrote that article is wrong. Mary Kay Ash ordered her first pink Cadillac from a Texas Cadillac dealership in 1967. In 1968 they started their program with GM for corporate cars that were leased from GM.
From the Mary Kay Company archives, her first pink car was indeed a '67 Cadillac model but the first "program cars" were 5 1970 Cadiacs awarded to top sellers late in 1969.

https://newsroom.marykay.com/media/t...pink-cadillac/
I found the same story directly from the Mary Kay website when this topic came up on the First Gen Firebirds majordomo mailing list over 20 years ago. Geoff Martin placed many of those discussions on the later web page.

The info you posted came up at the top of a Google search, probably from a Wiki page, which should always be viewed as potentially unreliable.

Maybe this topic would get broader viewing in the Lobby, as it wasn't just Firebirds. Surely somebody from Pontiac in those days might know why Pontiac offered the Pink Mist in their 1968 Spring Special colors, others being Carnival Red, Marigold Yellow and Windward Blue, which carried over to 1969. I found that brochure, posted below. Autumn Bronze was also a 68 Spring Special color but only for Corvette, Camaro and Firebird.

http://phscollectorcarworld.blogspot...codes.html?m=1
Didn't a Catalina show up in Pink Mist in the last few years?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211215_093253.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	579675  

Last edited by einstein; 12-15-2021 at 10:40 AM.
Old 12-15-2021, 11:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by einstein View Post
From the Mary Kay Company archives, her first pink car was indeed a '67 Cadillac model but the first "program cars" were 5 1970 Cadiacs awarded to top sellers late in 1969.

https://newsroom.marykay.com/media/t...pink-cadillac/
I found the same story directly from the Mary Kay website when this topic came up on the First Gen Firebirds majordomo mailing list over 20 years ago. Geoff Martin placed many of those discussions on the later web page.

The info you posted came up at the top of a Google search, probably from a Wiki page, which should always be viewed as potentially unreliable.

Maybe this topic would get broader viewing in the Lobby, as it wasn't just Firebirds. Surely somebody from Pontiac in those days might know why Pontiac offered the Pink Mist in their 1968 Spring Special colors, others being Carnival Red, Marigold Yellow and Windward Blue, which carried over to 1969. I found that brochure, posted below. Autumn Bronze was also a 68 Spring Special color but only for Corvette, Camaro and Firebird.

http://phscollectorcarworld.blogspot...codes.html?m=1
Didn't a Catalina show up in Pink Mist in the last few years?
Uh NO, it came from Automotive Fleet periodical..............

I never quote anything from wiki, because it's wrong 50% of the time.

My info came from GM celebrated 50 years of that program, that in 2019 in January, they celebrated 50 years of a program with MK in 2019, in a April 1st 2019 article.

https://www.automotive-fleet.com/328...hies-on-wheels

Quote:
Last January, Mary Kay held its annual Mary Kay Leadership Conference in San Diego, Calif., attracting more than 6,000 Mary Kay independent sales directors from around the U.S. and Canada. What made this year’s conference special is it also commemorated the 50th anniversary of the creation of the company’s Career Car Program and the birth of the Mary Kay pink Cadillac.

"We’re excited," said Allyson Sellers, vice president of sales force and marketing support for Mary Kay. "This is the 50th year of the Career Car Program. We were one of the first companies to offer this and we are very proud that it has been a strong program ever since." Sellers has worked for Mary Kay for the past 26 years.
Who's correct?

If the 50th celebration was in January 2019, and the article was written 4 months later, (April1 st 2019) difficult to be hard to be 1970 was the start date.

Mathematics says January 1969, so my 1968, is also incorrect, I'll man up and admit I was wrong, I misread the article, will anyone else?

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 12-15-2021, 12:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They definitely must have been aiming at the female market share with PinkMist.
DeLorean's wife was responsible for Verdoro/VooDoo Green in 67
She might have had a hand in the Pink idea.

Many autumn bronze birds known
Know of 1 windward blue bird (Ram 2)
One or two S.O. Black Birds
At least 1 Carnival Bird
No word on anything Marigold Yellow , yet

Last edited by Baron Von Zeppelin; 12-15-2021 at 12:40 PM.
Old 12-15-2021, 12:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

From the article you posted:
Quote:
In 1969, she rewarded the top five independent sales force members with the use of their own pink 1970 Cadillac Coupe DeVille and in turn, launched the Mary Kay Career Car Program.
So at this point it seems to be semantics, the year 2019 marked the 50th year, but not necessarily 50 years to the day or month since the launch of the program. The tell is that the first cars awarded were 1970 model year, which puts the start of the program between September and December 1969.

Side note, the GM guy seems to have specifically failed to mention Pontiac at all, even though there were MK Grand Ams and GPs in the 90s.

And none of this has anything to do with who here on this forum is right or wrong, as we're reading history (on the 'net, no less!) that probably has some apocryphal stories added in since the origins, like her attempting buy a Lincoln at first, but being told by a salesman to "come back with your husband and we'll get you in that car, little lady", vs the story that MK was nicknamed "Caddy" at some time in her younger life in the article you posted up.

Our main point to all this is that a 1968 Pontiac color offering is unrelated to Mary Kay.

Old 12-15-2021, 12:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Mathematics
Started in later 69 , with a new 70 model car.
2019 , some celebrations start a little ahead of the actual defacto day .
Some entities begin their milestone marker campaigns Jan 1 and run the whole year with it.
Not a problem.

Old 12-15-2021, 01:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One more blurb on those 2 Bird Verts from 1986 POCI
Bronze RamAirOne was pristine , needed nothing (nice recent repaint and fully detailed throughout)
Price $10,500

TripleTurq OptionQueen was basically untouched everywhere , except for recent timing chain replacement. Car had been sitting in an attached 2 car garage for years - due to not running.
John bought car for $500 (five hundred) - no idea from where or whom.
Replaced timing chain gear set. Ran like new again !
60'ish K miles..
I had $5500 and thought that would buy that car for sure.
It would have fluffed up magnificently.
Price $12,500 --- Surprise !!!

Didn't take him long to sell both cars.

Old 12-15-2021, 11:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
One more blurb on those 2 Bird Verts from 1986 POCI
Bronze RamAirOne was pristine , needed nothing (nice recent repaint and fully detailed throughout)
Price $10,500

TripleTurq OptionQueen was basically untouched everywhere , except for recent timing chain replacement. Car had been sitting in an attached 2 car garage for years - due to not running.
John bought car for $500 (five hundred) - no idea from where or whom.
Replaced timing chain gear set. Ran like new again !
60'ish K miles..
I had $5500 and thought that would buy that car for sure.
It would have fluffed up magnificently.
Price $12,500 --- Surprise !!!

Didn't take him long to sell both cars.
I dug up the pic of it for you again
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Turquoise 68 400 Convert 1.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	579700  

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
Old 12-16-2021, 01:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Keith
Had forgotten, he replaced the dead hood tach with an NOS one.
Was thinking it had pwr antenna but not sure if that one is manual or electric by the picture.
Frt. Discs, AC, Tilt, Cruise, Gauges, AmFm, Pwr Seat, Pwr Windows, Pwr Top, Deluxe Int & Belts, Fold Down, un-cracked WingsDown steering wheel, SoftRay BirdGlass ... yada yada