Old 12-30-2021, 01:59 AM
Senior Chief

Default Stiffening a 557 Block

I'm planning to build up my 1977's W72 400 for some extra power, without going to any extremes. The 557 block used in that year has a lot of missing material from the casting, but this is an original matching numbers block and I really want to retain it. My power goals are around the 400hp mark without any stroking, which seems to be near the upper limit of what these blocks can handle reliably for years and years. So keeping this in mind, I was wondering if it's possible to stiffen up the webbing a bit to reduce the chances of cracking.

Would 4 bolt mains help to stiffen up that area? Are the bosses present in the casting to accommodate 4 bolt mains without removing too much material?

What about short-filling the block, is that something that might help?

Are there any main girdles available for this application? Would that help to stiffen up the bottom end?

Old 12-30-2021, 08:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you're going with the stock 3.750 stroke crank you won't have any issues at 400 hp. I've built several engines at that level with the 557 block and haven't had any issues at all. One, we actually used KRE D port heads on and a fairly healthy cam. No issues years later in the customers car. Nothing was done special in the main cap area. Stock bolts and caps. I would, however, be hesitant to use a stroker crank in one due to additional side loading of the block.

62' Lemans, Nostalgia Super Stock, 541 CI, IA2 block, billet 4.5" crank, Ross, Wide port Edelbrocks, Gustram intake, 2 4150 style BLP carbs, 2.10 Turbo 400, 9" w/4:30 gears, 8.76 @153, 3100lbs
The Following User Says Thank You to Gary H For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2021, 09:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I am not a mechanic and all of the aforementioned lingo may as well be chinese. But I have a 557 block in my 77 T/A. The builder warmed it over slightly with a bit of a cam (whatever that means). He had no hesitation doing what he did. Car runs great! Never dyno'd but he estimated close to 400 hp with his knowledge of building motors and past experience. As far as I know he did nothing extra special as far as strengthening the block. I dont run it hard, never raced it and probably never will. Heck, I barely hit 60 going down the road. I do drive like an old man But the car will get out of its way when it wants to.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TAKerry For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2021, 10:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm on the opposite side of the fence.

Have pics of several 557 blocks with chunks missing out of main webs.

I'd do as many here have suggested in the past. Store your numbers matching engine, & save it for future sale with car.

Build what you want, using a stronger block. That way you want have to be worried whether it's gonna hold up or break.

Opinions differ.

I've read where some brag about how much power they made with a racing 557 block. That's fine IF you wanna take a chance. How lucky are you ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 - Broke .jpg
Views:	263
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	580918   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 - Broke .jpg
Views:	254
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	580919   Click image for larger version

Name:	3 - 2 Broke .jpg
Views:	273
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	580920   Click image for larger version

Name:	4 - Cracked .jpg
Views:	219
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	580921  

Last edited by ponyakr; 12-30-2021 at 11:15 AM.
Old 12-30-2021, 11:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I built one not knowing anything about the bottom end of those blocks.The build was on this site.Got real lucky.4.21 stroke 3in main crank,everything inside was high quality and light weight.The engine made just under 600 HP,is in a 70 GTO running fine now for many years.Others have not been so lucky.Tom

The Following User Says Thank You to tom s For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2021, 12:54 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyakr View Post
I'm on the opposite side of the fence.

Have pics of several 557 blocks with chunks missing out of main webs.
That's really interesting and I very much appreciate the photos, I've been wanting more details about these failures for years now.

Looking at the photos, it seems all the failures you've come across were at the dowel pin. And in one of the photos, I see a solid dowel pin instead of a rolled one. My understanding is that Pontiac went with rolled pins on '77+ W72 engines specifically because there was a higher chance of cracking there when high-revving with solid pins. The rolled pin allows the cap to walk slightly rather than overstress the block.

Also, it seems to me like a splayed 4-bolt main cap would really help to secure that webbing and spread the stress into the area between the cylinders, perhaps as much as 50/50 between the two bolts. The splayed bolt ends up beyond the dowel pin, and wouldn't be drilled solely into the thin part of the webbing. Unless I'm seeing the photos wrong.

Old 12-30-2021, 01:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's telling when Pontiac had to switch back to the XX481988 cast blocks in 1978 W72's due to warranty claims. Even the relatively stock sub 300 HP was too much for some of them. Another issue was quality control. The rod/piston assembly weights differed greatly in some of these. If the rotating assembly is quality and balanced, 400 HP would be my limit.

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 12-30-2021, 01:12 PM
Senior Chief

I was planning on a replacement internally balanced rotating assembly with at least forged rods and pistons, and possibly a forged crank.

Old 12-30-2021, 01:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just me,I would not want to put anymore holes in the web.Tom

Old 12-30-2021, 01:55 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
Just me,I would not want to put anymore holes in the web.Tom
Yeah, I'm pretty hesitant about that too. The holes to accommodate bolts would be much larger than the dowel pin holes.

How come no main girdles exist for this? Seems like that would be a no-brainer solution, and there's stud girdles for every other engine block ever made...

Old 12-30-2021, 01:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A girdle won't help this. The webbing under the mains is very thin.
If you are investing in forged internals, I'd spring for an earlier block and save that one.

66 GTO 389 3x2, 4 speed, 4.33 gear, Montero Red 33K original Miles
67 GTO 2dr Post, 428, Tri Power, 3.55 Gears
80 Trans Am Black SE Y84 W72 WS6
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Davis For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2021, 03:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoreMaker View Post
Y

How come no main girdles exist for this? Seems like that would be a no-brainer solution, and there's stud girdles for every other engine block ever made...
One main reason: There are TONS of great pre 1975 400's out there still. There are not too many 1975-78 Trans Am owners with the 557 blocks that want to push the limits of their design.

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 12-30-2021, 03:25 PM

FWIW.....I purchased a Butler built 461 530 HP stroker off of facebook market place around 4 years ago. Had there E-heads with the street port job and port matched RPM intake. All parts had the job number stamped on them, including the 557 block. I just could not believe that Butler would have used that block! I even got a stack of paperwork with it to prove it was built by Butler. I have also seen another Butler built motor based on a 557 block as well.

Old 12-30-2021, 03:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey now! We do not need this sort of irresponsible talk around here!

) I don't run it hard, never raced it and probably never will. Heck, I barely hit 60 going down the road. I do drive like an old man )

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
Old 12-30-2021, 03:41 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSuchma View Post
FWIW.....I purchased a Butler built 461 530 HP stroker off of facebook market place around 4 years ago. Had there E-heads with the street port job and port matched RPM intake. All parts had the job number stamped on them, including the 557 block. I just could not believe that Butler would have used that block! I even got a stack of paperwork with it to prove it was built by Butler. I have also seen another Butler built motor based on a 557 block as well.
Ultimately, they'll build whatever the customer asks them to, even if it seems unreasonable. They'll just make sure you know what is and isn't covered if you choose to use a questionable component.

So far, I'm still leaning towards using my numbers matching 557 block for this build.

The Following User Says Thank You to GoreMaker For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2021, 04:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Posts # 7, 11, and 12, pretty much sums up the risk of using the 557 blocks.

Now I'll add two my own experiences, both with a 557 block in 77 T/As.

One was a warmed over street engine, headers, true dual exhaust, 068 camshaft, re jetted Quadrajet, Holley Street dominator intake. At under 40,000 miles there was a catastrophic engine failure, that destroyed the block internally.

Another block failure in another 77 T/A was a defect in the cast iron. The block developed a crack that ran parallel to the bell housing surface roughly 2 inches long into the coolant jacket, just above the oil filter elbow. This area isn't even stressed, by engine operation. It was just a factory defect due to poor factory QC.

GM cut the amount of nickel (and some other alloys) used in the cast iron to save money in the 76-77 time frame. Nickel makes the cast iron more ductile, and less brittle. It also makes it wear better in areas such as cylinder walls. In my own experience the 301 and 400 engines, as well as the Iron Duke 151, 4 cylinders wore the cylinder walls out at 60,000 miles due to the iron not being as resistant to wear as the older, higher nickel blocks. The pre 75 blocks were just getting broken in at 60,000 miles. I've taken engines apart that at 60,000 miles that had such a bad cylinder ridge at the top of the cylinder, you had to use a ridge reamer just to get the piston out of the bore.....

One other thing Pontiac did in those 557 engines is use an inferior harmonic balancer. Engine harmonics can take a toll on crankshafts , as well as the main web area of the blocks. Since these engine had a insufficient balancer, the block and cranks have already had forces that tend to fatigue cast iron rapidly. Case in point, the 6.5 diesel engines also had poor quality balancer used in them. If they slip the balancer ring, (a common problem), the cast crank will fail in a very, very, short time thereafter. The 6.5 diesel engines were also victim of GM cost cutting that had weak blocks that failed very similarly to the 557 blocks, a section breaks out of the main webs. Those blocks are notorious for breaking, and are avoided by the 6.5 community for the same reasons as the 557 blocks.

My own opinion by direct experience, not hearsay, I would not consider those blocks for any performance usage. The quality control was either non existent, or very poor.

The alloy package was modified to suit the bottom line of GM, not make a durable piece of cast iron like the older blocks were. Given the poor quality control of the foundry, and the machining operations you're rolling the dice on whether the block is defective. Even if not defective, they are hard and brittle, subject to cracking in areas not necessarily in the main web area, even under daily driver usage.

A Dirty Harry quote comes to mind,

"Do you feel lucky punk, well do ya?????"

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Last edited by Sirrotica; 12-30-2021 at 04:34 PM.
Old 12-30-2021, 04:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Like Tom we built my 400 short block for my RAIV motor I raced in NMCA with a 577 block not knowing the difference. Crower billet rods TRWs balanced. Dynoed 384 with the first milder Ultradyne cam with the bigger solid I tried it reved to 7000. Hammered on it hard for 10 years and it is still together!

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 12-30-2021, 04:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's obvious that it's the luck of the draw. Obviously they all weren't defective, but the alloy can't be changed after the block is cast.

1984 Grand Prix

Old 12-30-2021, 04:45 PM
Senior Chief

It sounds to me like the consensus is "it might work out fine, but it might not, and if it doesn't, then the original block was defective anyways".

Seems to me like if the block is defective anyways, "saving" it is worthless because I'm basically attempting to "save" garbage for the sake of originality. Whereas if it's not crap, "saving" it is a waste because I've got a perfectly usable block that ends up just sitting there, not being used.

Would a thorough sonic and liquid magnaflux inspection provide any insight before making a decision? This all-original engine has just under 78k trouble-free miles on it, and I did a fair bit of beating on it over the last 1k miles.

Old 12-30-2021, 05:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoreMaker View Post
It sounds to me like the consensus is "it might work out fine, but it might not, and if it doesn't, then the original block was defective anyways".

Seems to me like if the block is defective anyways, "saving" it is worthless because I'm basically attempting to "save" garbage for the sake of originality. Whereas if it's not crap, "saving" it is a waste because I've got a perfectly usable block that ends up just sitting there, not being used.

Would a thorough sonic and liquid magnaflux inspection provide any insight before making a decision? This all-original engine has just under 78k trouble-free miles on it, and I did a fair bit of beating on it over the last 1k miles.
An old time dirt track racer once told me that, if he ran used connecting rods that were taken from another race engine, he knew they were good because they had already taken abuse from the former build. He termed them as "PROVEN" parts. Unfortunately metal fatigue doesn't work that way, the more cycles of abuse they are subject to, the weaker they become.

You can't change the makeup of the iron no matter what you do after the fact. It's a risk to reward calculation, only the owner can make that decision.

To me starting with a better basic foundation is not cost prohibitive, compared to starring at a failed mangled bunch of parts, been there, done that. The expensive lessons, are the best learning experiences.

The only advantage to saving the original engine is resale value to the next owner if the car is resold. A classic car is worth much more with the born with parts, plan accordingly.

1984 Grand Prix