Old 01-09-2022, 11:05 PM
Suspended

Default "Keep your GM" sticker 77-78

A fairly trivial detail question but thought might be able to narrow the field slightly.

Anyone here with an original/unrestored aircleaner that still has the white transfer on the side with part number and date?

Sometime around 77-78 they changed the wording from "Keep your GM car all GM" to "Keep your GM Vehicle all GM". Of course, this may not have been a terribly conscious change but then included trucks and RV's and still used until previous transfers ran out and new box opened.

Most reproductions are inaccurate, even if only in their application. Every second one listed is the wrong model, part number, even filter used.

Old 01-10-2022, 06:51 PM

Default The Correct Decal

The word change to the vehicle occurred in 1978. The change was due to court room legalese. The upper red number on the left reflects the air filter for the specific engine. The lower number reflects the 2 or 4 barrel carburetor. I discovered that the dimensions of the decal varied depending on the vendor. Fortunately, I still had the origional sticker. Firebird Central sells the correct decal. Trust me, I did a months worth of periodic investigation before my purchase.

Old 01-10-2022, 08:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The one for 1978 is produced from my original.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 01-10-2022, 08:49 PM
Suspended

Thanks. By saying 1978, do you mean the start of the model or the year? FC certainly don't have mine, no one makes it! That's why I was confirming the wording as getting a few done.
The lower number is the air filter combination and element part number.

Last edited by Aus78Formula; 01-10-2022 at 09:13 PM.
Old 01-11-2022, 12:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

None were repo’d when I sent mine to Osborne back in the late 80’s. I’m not sure what’s done now. At the time, he also wanted a 350 and a 403 one to do for 78. I found a sky bird with its orig falling off, the owner wouldn’t give it up.
Like the TC emissions decal, no one does them, I’m having a guy make one. You may need to do that.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱

Last edited by burd; 01-11-2022 at 12:26 AM.
Old 01-11-2022, 04:02 AM
Suspended

Ya, many are happy just to have a transfer that looks original, not be aware, or care, of the actual details on it if they suit. That's fine, I like them to be correct if possible. Many of the sellers, and buyers, aren't aware of what they have listed in being accurate either, just copied off previous supplier or ad, and all use stock photos.

They do a 403 for 1978 but it's the TA version, along the Olds in a Buick, different part numbers, codes, elements. It was hard enough finding a photo of a non-TA 403 sticker to confirm a few details. More trivial info is that the non-TA element used was the A212CW, yet in '77 was still labelled as the A212C, changing in '78, on the sticker anyway.

Luckily, the emissions decal for mine is done, even though it's not even a high production version for Californian 403 and HY code for '78. Smog and all, which no longer matches in many areas, and half are blanked-off dummy lines.

Old 01-11-2022, 11:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The emission label is called out on the build sheet, that’s why I want the TC.
If you have a correct factory decal, send it to Osborne, that’s what I did. I still have my orig sticker.
The trunk decal that’s avail is for a 79. I have a bud who makes them. Maybe now they do one. And he doesn’t do them on paper with wrinkles up in time.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱