Old 01-15-2022, 07:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Curious your thoughts on combustion burn pattern

300 miles on new build. Two cylinders (4,6) down on power from the get go. Bad rings. This I know. What surprised me was how much different the cylinders look from each other insofar as the combustion pattern on them. Take a look.

I understand in a N/A application, the end cylinders tend to take on less fuel than ones closer to the carb, but I'm seeing a good difference between the end cylinders..and I'm not sure its due to a lack of fuel. Further investigation is needed of course, but wanted to post in parallel. Some things to know.

- I did lean the engine out 2nd pass down the track (to the point where it was breaking up), but only at higher RPM and I rectified that with jets right after. 10 passes at the track, and the rest is street driving.

- Number 8 ignition lead was loose when I got home from the track...probably like that for the last two passes, and then the 5 or so minutes to load and unload the trailer. That was the last time this ran.

Passenger head - You can see the end chamber (8) looks a lot darker than, the number 4 chamber. To me, 4 looks ideal. 8 doesn't even look like a fuel distribution problem, its looks more like a burn problem, so probably a result of the loose lead/lack of ignition, yeah?

Here is a close up of cylinder 8.

Chamber 8 closeup

Chamber 4, close up

Move over the other side of the engine, and cylinder 7 here, looks like its doing half the work! Normal to be this light in color? There is very little carbon buildup as you can see.

All pistons were polished to a mirror like finish prior to assembly.

I'm sure more mileage would tend to average out how these cylinders look and there probably isn't anything to worry about, but thought Id run it by and see if I'm overlooking anything.

Thoughts?

Who needs nice and pretty, when you can have mean and nasty?
KRE Aluminum headed 463CID 73 LeMans. Used to run 10.6x @ 124.55. 3700lbs
So much for 2020...shootin for 9s in 2021...and in 2022 apparently.....looks like 2023 as well.
>>My 73 Build thread
Old 01-15-2022, 08:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

All the chambers except #8 look good to me. # 6 is a little dark. Piston tops look normal too except #8 looks like it was washed down with unburnt fuel.

62' Lemans, Nostalgia Super Stock, 541 CI, IA2 block, billet 4.5" crank, Ross, Wide port Edelbrocks, Gustram intake, 2 4150 style BLP carbs, 2.10 Turbo 400, 9" w/4:30 gears, 8.76 @153, 3100lbs
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gary H For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2022, 07:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Swirl patterns are different between left and right hand ports in a paired intake port wedged chambered Head.
combine that with heads that might have a tad too much port area for the motors cid and rpm range and these clockwise and counter clockwise swirl patterns effect the burn rate and of course the timing advance needed per left and right hand ports.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 01-17-2022, 04:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Sounds good Gents. Thank you. Not much I can do except run it out, so back together it goes, and see how it does.

So much for 2020...shootin for 9s in 2021...and in 2022 apparently.....looks like 2023 as well.
>>My 73 Build thread
Old 01-17-2022, 08:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Almost looks like that #8 piston is "kissing" the combustion chamber. Also what is that mark on the piston top at about the 2:30 position?

The Following User Says Thank You to 74SDformula For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2022, 03:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74SDformula View Post
Almost looks like that #8 piston is "kissing" the combustion chamber. Also what is that mark on the piston top at about the 2:30 position?
Its a close squish, but there is no contact. Everything turns and feels very smooth.

I believe what you're seeing at 2:30 is a piece of carbon. Went to look on block thinking 'how could I miss that?' and its gone from that spot. There are some other pieces floating around. I'll clean them all up when the rods come out.

>>My 73 Build thread