Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 01-21-2022, 09:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The little skid steers do run out of power quickly to run axilary hydraulics. Personally I would get a older mid size 60 to 70ish Hp wheeled skid steer. Probably 15-25000 for a 320D or next size smaller deere or a S 200 or 185 series Bobcat. 60 to 70 hp with wheels around 7500 lbs. Shopping around you can find them for 15 to 20K. Wouldn’t bother me to run something a little older even, not reason to go much older though they don’t get much cheaper. S200 Bobcat or a 320 D Deere would be mid 20s for a cab and a/c. No reason to get track IMHO. We run tracked loaders, and have a smaller wheeled one also. We had a tracked Bobcat T300,81 Hp, 10000 lbs with cab a/c. Now have a 329 deere track loader, 87 hp We paid $17k for the T300 when it was 5 years old. About 27k for the deere 5 years old. New it is close to 70k for something similar now though. They are much tougher than compact tractors, more industrial minded.

But, as far as compact tractors, with a belly mower on a compact tractor I would want a Deere 2 series with the Auto connect mower. Most the stuff on the tractors themselves are fairly close. We have ran some Kioti’s, they are nice little tractors. Rather have a Kubota though, I love Kubota’s engines, they have my favorite compact engine. But the belly mower kind stinks on ALL of them compared to the Deere. The quick connect mower JD has is leaps and bounds over anything anyone else has. Plus the loader can stay on if needed. FWIW

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mBn1wXY-dUw

Last edited by Jay S; 01-21-2022 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01-21-2022, 09:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Branson 2515H

Here's another to add to the mix.

Just saw that a Branson dealer is 10 miles from me. I knew he sold & worked on logging equipment. I was in the National Guard with him. Didn't know he sold small tractors. Don't know if he could order one & get it any time soon or not. But, if someone has a big Branson dealer in their area, it might be worth checkin out. 2200lb lift capacity.

https://www.davestractor.com/wp/port...ctory-pricing/

https://bransontractors.com/product/2515h/

https://www.kenotractors.com/product...or-and-loader/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ5R3u0uvBA

Lift test video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi0z5wOMARc

Hey, don't cut the tree. Just pick it up out of the ground, roots & all !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QvuTcSAJwg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZQwhKXQQEA

Last edited by ponyakr; 01-21-2022 at 10:36 AM.
Old 01-21-2022, 03:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm relatively new to "country life". We moved to 8 acres in lower Alabama 6 years ago, and I never had or used a tractor until I needed to do a little land sculpting. Rented a Kubota 525 for a weekend after buying 20 yards of dirt.

My general impression was it was too small and the hydro system seemed particularly weak. It barely had the power to load the bucket for every scoop I moved. It also seemed somewhat unstable, but maybe that's just my total inexperience with tractors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchmitz View Post
I live on three acres. My lot is pretty rough. I bought a 60" Badboy zero turn. Nice mower. Upgraded to a Kawasaki engine. Even with a suspension seat, It beats me up pretty much. Won't buy another without true suspension.
Amen on Bad Boy and having a 60" cut on the ~5 acres of "wiregrass" we cut. We made sure to buy the Kawasaki powered Maverick with suspension, rubber biscuits which remind me of the "Isolastic" on a 75 Norton motorcycle I once owned. First mower was a 42" X-Mark which would have been okay for a half acre, but torture on 5.

Old 01-21-2022, 03:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Kubota Bash !

we were in Ruston today, near the Kubota tractor dealer.

So, I dropped in to check out the L2501.

They had a stick trans model. The shifter is in the center. Can't live with it there. That's why I would not consider a cheap JD, back in '09.

They did not have a hydro trans model. Said they had 25 tractors on order. Didn't know when they'd ever get any of 'em in.

But, I asked him about the hydro controls. He said they definitely had the heel operated reverse. Well, that totally rules out a Kubota, for me.

Since I've read that good used tractors are selling for almost as much as new ones, I asked the salesman an aprox value for my Kioti. He said aprox $10k, or slightly less, trade-in value.

So, to me, that means that the retail price should be above $12k. If we can get close to $15k, we'll probably sell & buy new. So, I'm gonna advertise it & see what it will bring.

That means that I'm gonna start seriously lookin for our next tractor. That means that I'm real interested in this thread, especially what Cliff chooses, as well as feedback from guys who have a model I'm considering.

Thanks Cliff, for starting this thread ! It may help some of us make the right tractor selection.

Old 01-21-2022, 03:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is the tractor you need.

https://youtu.be/LEDhFp1SyEw

Old 01-21-2022, 04:40 PM
Senior Chief

I see Bad Boy is in the tractor business now. They look good, don't know if they have any dealers out there yet.

Ponyakr mentioned the stick shift in the middle. Some hydro's and some front bucket controls
are in the middle but off to one side. Keep in mind, these things roll over very easy and the good tractors keep the jumping off lane open on both sides for safety.

Anyone thinking Kubota should look at Kioti if they are in your area. They built their tractors to compete directly with Kubota.
Right down to the orange paint. Kioti engines operate attachments at a lower RPM.

Old 01-21-2022, 04:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Wow !

I just called my local Branson dealer. They have had 5 tractors on order since August. Don't know when or if they will ever come in, or what the price will be.

I'm curious now to know how far I'd have to travel to actually find a tractor I'd buy.

I see quite a few online. But they're mostly all up North, a LONG way from where I live. Don't ever remember another time in my life when there were not plenty of small farm tractors to buy, in my area. That covid bug has really messed thing up.

After discussing tractors with TJ, she admitted that she would feel much better about operating it, if it had a hydro trans. So, although I prefer the clutch type, our next tractor will have 2-pedal hydro, just like our JD lawn tractor.

Last edited by ponyakr; 01-21-2022 at 05:03 PM.
Old 01-21-2022, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack P. View Post
I see Bad Boy is in the tractor business now. They look good, don't know if they have any dealers out there yet.

Ponyakr mentioned the stick shift in the middle. Some hydro's and some front bucket controls
are in the middle but off to one side. Keep in mind, these things roll over very easy and the good tractors keep the jumping off lane open on both sides for safety.

Anyone thinking Kubota should look at Kioti if they are in your area. They built their tractors to compete directly with Kubota.
Right down to the orange paint. Kioti engines operate attachments at a lower RPM.
just to add,

Bad Boy tractors are made by Branson / Kukje
Bobcat is again selling rebadged Kioti's after a several year hiatus

67 White/Gold GTO 4 speed sold, 1968 GTO 4 speed sold, 1969 GTO auto sold, 68 Firebird 400 4 speed (455) sold, 65 GTO Night Watch Blue 4 speed sold, 64 GTO Nocturne Blue 4 speed sold, 71 GTO Gold auto sold. 1975 Formula 400 auto sold.
Hopefully to be restored, H-"O" Racing 73 Trans Am SD 4 speed,
Sons 70 Formula 400 auto, and wife's 1974 AMX 360 auto, 1975 Jeep Honcho 4x4, 1965 Buick Special post
Old 01-21-2022, 06:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack P. View Post

Beg to differ!!!!!
Roll one over, u ain’t got time to jump!!
That’s why they have roll bars and seat belts. Use em every time, you usually don’t get a second chance on a tractor

The Following User Says Thank You to jww For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2022, 06:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Had a friend a mile from me killed from a rollover just last year. Raking a pond dike, I use the seatbelt with the rollover bar up every time now.

http://www.byjanmarie.com/firebird/69.html
69 Camaro 327 4sp. 4.10
http://www.byjanmarie.com/camaro/69camaro.html ( SOLD)
2002 Camaro LE/SLP-(sold)
1967 Nova SS-- 327, M20, 3.73, FRT Disc
Old 01-21-2022, 06:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I guess a roll-bar would be an attraction; but I have been operating tractors for 70 years, and never been close to rolling one.

Did have one once with an umbrella. Much easier on the sun burns.

Jon

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 01-21-2022, 06:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I hear ya. Had an uncle killed on an older Massey long before seat belts/ rollbars. He slid sideways down a snow covered bank. Rolled over with him under it.

My son bush hogging a creek bank and did not know the bank was undercut. Laid his 50 horse Kubota down about 6 ft on its side in the dry creek. Threw him clear and thankfully nothing hurt but his manly pride! Roll bar folded down and of course too manly to need a seatbelt! Boy did I give him hell, and still I get to remind him now and again about how lucky he was ….LOL!!!
Made a believer outta him though,for sure! I sleep a little better now too…..!

Old 01-21-2022, 06:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbking View Post
I guess a roll-bar would be an attraction; but I have been operating tractors for 70 years, and never been close to rolling one.

Did have one once with an umbrella. Much easier on the sun burns.

Jon
I sincerely hope you never do!!!!! We need you with us carbking
Jerry

Old 01-21-2022, 07:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jerry - thank you!

I don't do as much with the tractors as I used to do.

The only way someone my age can get on a John Deere M is from a helicopter!!!!!!!

I still do very well with the 950, and of course the L & G.

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 01-21-2022, 08:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Workmaster 25

Well, I just made several calls. No dealers in my area have any brand of tractor in stock that I'd consider.

But, a New Holland dealer about 60 miles away claim they have some Workmaster 25 hydro models that are suppose to "hit the ground any day now".

We'll see. He looked over his orders & said they have more than 20 WM 25's ordered. They have 3 dealer locations, headquartered in Arkansas.

I've gone back & took another look at LOTS of tractor videos. Right now, my pick is the WM 25 hydro.

This particular video tells most of the reasons this tractor is my current pick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk94-GD_wGk&t=8s

Who knows, when I actually see & drive one, there could be something about it that would change my mind.

NOTE: I no longer feel comfortable posting on Cliff's thread. Feel sorta like a hi-jacker. So, I'll keep up with this thread, but will start my own, about my POSSIBLE tractor sell & buy story. Good luck to Cliff & anybody else who plans to buy !

Old 01-21-2022, 08:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jww View Post
Beg to differ!!!!!
Roll one over, u ain’t got time to jump!!
That’s why they have roll bars and seat belts. Use em every time, you usually don’t get a second chance on a tractor
Roll bar & seat belt absolutely lost a friend right up the road from me , flipped a ford 8N over. Sad

Old 01-22-2022, 08:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I did this about four years ago. I was replacing the stone in my dry well, very sandy ground ... too close to the edge of the pit and the ground gave way under the left front wheel. I've got a ROPS, which saved the tractor from rolling over completely into the pit ... I kind of stepped out as it rolled (no seat belt) and onto the top of the dry well, very nearly stumbling into the septic juices

Can't say whether a seat belt would have made things better or worse in this situation. Seat belt can be scary working around water. They can save your life in a downhill rollover WITH a ROPS ... without a ROPS a seatbelt is worse as it will carry you with the rollover all the way down the hill.

Anyway ... my other tractor didn't have the traction to roll it back over ... had to call a wrecker to drag it a couple of feet and winch it back upright.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tractor-Flip-2018.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	188.4 KB
ID:	582390  

Old 01-22-2022, 09:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Lucky on that one 🇺🇸👍

Old 01-23-2022, 06:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

1520 Takes on another 8 inches of snow from last night
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AD3CCB78-DB08-48CD-BCD6-27B3278E74F8.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	582552   Click image for larger version

Name:	EC112AC5-AC6F-4AA1-B774-907BAB28BE1F.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	582553  

The Following User Says Thank You to Tellyshavilli For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2022, 06:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Talked to the Ford dealer this week about a front mount snow blower $8000+ !

I’ll stick with the box scraper