Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 01-17-2022, 04:49 PM
Senior Chief

Default Leaf Spring Isolation Pads

Hello all,

Trying to make a little progress on the 68 firebird rear end replacement. I have the front and real leaf spring pockets and shackles mounted and the rear housing is sitting on top of the leaf springs.

I purchased some polyurethane leaf spring isolation pads but I'm really struggling with getting the locating pins to get seated. The pads fit well into the housing mount OR onto the leaf spring but when I put it all together I'm not getting them to lock into place when I put it all together. When I drop the rear down onto the pad and spring the housing moves forward/back on the spring quite easily but doesn't seem lock into place.

Is there a trick to this? The pads come with a metal bushing and it does fit down onto the nubby bit on the spring and does stay put but the housing slips forward/back. Suggestions?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Northwind with XFlow TBI
4L80E
3.50:1 Rear
Old 01-17-2022, 06:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

On my installation, I seated the isolation pad's peg into the lower shock mounting plate which was a fairly snug fit. Then I ran it across the spring perch until I felt the leaf spring's peg seat into the isolation pad's pocket. I used liberal amounts of white lithium grease on the leaf spring peg to aid that.

Old 01-17-2022, 07:48 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks Jason, that did the trick! I didn't have white lithium but I used a little wheel bearing grease, this did let them slip more easily into the little pockets.

Thanks!

Northwind with XFlow TBI
4L80E
3.50:1 Rear