Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 01-21-2022, 12:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default TRC Racing engine run stand?

Anyone on this site bought/own or used one of these engine run stands by the above noted manufacturer? TRC is located in Vancouver.
His stands are mostly all aluminum and come in 3 versions from basic model ( needing parts to finish) to ready to run. He used to sell on eBay but no more.
He tells me the lead time for one of these is 2/3 wks.
Sure like to have a run stand and I pretty interested in this model. Whadda ya think?
Jerry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8D3F9E92-11A2-42CD-8283-B809D5FF4692.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	582345  

Old 01-21-2022, 12:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Having used a friends run stand the issue I see it is made to mount a transmission on the engine.The ones I have used just mounts a bellhousing to the back of the stand.I think if someone had the skills they go make a rear adjustable mount to just use a bellhousing.Tom

Old 01-21-2022, 03:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I agree, would be pretty simple to make something to bolt a bellhousing to or 4 adjustable brackets like those on an engine stand and bolt directly to the back of a block

Old 01-21-2022, 05:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i made one. no where near as nice as that, but there are lots of plans and pics of others in the race section i believe. they are nice tools, mine uses an old engine stand mount to hold any motor and then has adjustable pedestals for motor mounts. so far it has only had a few pontiacs on it, but i will be putting a 351 on it soon. i wanted it to be adjustable. its great when its being used but iit takes up a ton of space when its not. mine is not as nice as the one you are looking at, when its time, i will pull the radiator and msd electronics off it and put it outside under a tarp until i need it next.

1972 Maverick under slow construction
Old 01-21-2022, 06:41 PM
Senior Chief

I, too, built my own because I had access to some free steel tubing, but in my searching for ideas I really liked the one produced by this company:
https://easy-run.com/.
I ended up buying just the throttle control assy for mine from them, first rate experience.

I like the one in your original post as well, especially the aluminum construction as mine is very heavy.
Good Luck.

Muncie 4 speed (orginally an automatic car)
Old 01-21-2022, 07:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thumbs up

Yeah, I seriously thought about making one but with the price of steel, my time and all the ancillary parts and pieces I figgered it might pay to pony up and have it done with!
Good luck to you

Old 01-21-2022, 08:31 PM
Boost Engineer

Easy Run is a very nice stand.

I plan on building one like the plans for this stand at some point.

http://www.engine_stand.russgreen.net/index.html

Stores really nicely when not used.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 01-21-2022, 09:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I like the one with the plans you posted. Looks like the hardest part would be just the cutting of the steel. Welding would be pretty easy and quick. Also like how it folds up for storage!!👌👍

Old 01-22-2022, 01:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The link to buy the plans does not work.

Old 01-22-2022, 08:42 AM
Senior Chief

IF i were doing serious work....like more than 1 engine in 10 yrs...lol I might would consider something like that. My run stand is made from scrap wood and a couple of screws on a $10 pallet.

Old 01-22-2022, 12:10 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
The link to buy the plans does not work.
Blame it on EBAY. The link is several years old.

I made a copy of the pictures in the website that were there at that time.
I just needed the basic images. Which I stored in an excel file.

Then I adjusted the dimensions for my specific needs.

The plans were offered for at least 10 years. Many on EBAY have passed
now compared to the old posts.

Tom V.

I also posted pictures some years ago of a design that some pontiac guys came up with.
They should be on the PY website someplace.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 01-22-2022, 01:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was thinking of buying/building one. But the cost is huge. What's to keep me from using an engine stand or cradle, a rad, some guages and an ignition switch. I'd use a gas can for the fuel.

Old 01-23-2022, 01:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66sprint6 View Post
I was thinking of buying/building one. But the cost is huge. What's to keep me from using an engine stand or cradle, a rad, some guages and an ignition switch. I'd use a gas can for the fuel.
Only seeing your expensive engine on its side flopping around like a fish out of water.

Have seen quite a few get away with it but most only fire the engine up for a few seconds. The longer run times for break-in makes the tossed together idea less appealing.

You are basically correct in your list, but just need something stable and strong enough to not come apart. Most cradles have a small footprint and the flexplate/flywheel is at the back and fully exposed which isn't much different than firing up your rotary mower on its side. Maybe the cradle could be used as the initial platform bolted to a larger base with appropriate shrouding.

Old 01-23-2022, 07:23 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Lots of guys make them out of a couple engine stands…….. connecting them face to face and build from there. Still have to buy steel and do some fab work to make it all work, but it’s been done many times.
Pics when yur done would be great!!!

Old 01-23-2022, 01:57 PM
Boost Engineer

I build my own stuff because I want to be safe.
We had a flywheel issue on the Holley Engineering High Speed Engine Dyno and everytime I entered that cell I saw the mark on the walls and ceiling where the flywheel traveled around the room. Posted on this many times.

I use a older Lakewood Bellhousing to keep the parts inside the bellhousing.
A Engine stand with the the steel arms might keep the flywheel inside the bellhousing bolt pattern area.

Tom V.

I have only seen a couple of engines on their side on the floor, lol. Not my stuff.

Old 01-25-2022, 11:27 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by jww View Post
I like the one with the plans you posted. Looks like the hardest part would be just the cutting of the steel. Welding would be pretty easy and quick. Also like how it folds up for storage!!👌👍
I purchased a PDF of these plans in 2013, finally found it on my computer. If you PM me an email address I will gladly share it via return email.

Mike Pearson

Muncie 4 speed (orginally an automatic car)