Old 01-23-2022, 11:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Way back 50 years ago The Air Force Reg for us weapons troops was to get it calibrated every month or if we dropped it. In Thailand we we loading 1000 500 pound bombs a month plus a myriad of other munitions. Each of bomb rack's 2 sway braces had to be torqued to 100 inch pounds.

041 cam with Rhoads lifters 1.65 rockers
RPM rods
800 Cliffs Q Jet on Holley Street Dominator
ST-10 4 speed (3.42 first)
w 2.73 rear gear

__________________________________________________ _______________________________

469th TFS Korat Thailand 1968-69 F-4E Muzzle 2
Old 01-23-2022, 07:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDYA View Post
I have a Craftsman click type torque wrench that is 25+ years old that I have kept in perfect condition (never abused). I have never had it calibrated but I only use it for suspension work like ball joints, tie rods and control arm bolts. For engine assembly I have 2 Warren and Brown deflecting beam torque wrenches, one 3/8 and the other 1/2 drive. They are made in Australia and due to their unique design are considered to be the most accurate torque wrenches. According to the manufacturer they never need to be calibrated as long as they are treated properly. I have assembled several engines with these wrenches and have never had a problem
I wasn’t familiar with Warren & Brown torque wrenches, so I looked them up online. Interesting system; reminds me of the Snap-On torque meters I used years ago( and have recently re-acquired). Just may have to purchase one.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 01-23-2022, 08:10 PM
Senior Chief

I occasionlly take two of mine, put on in a vice, and use a deep socket to link together. If both are close it is good. If not I pull out a third.

Old 01-24-2022, 02:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
I wasn’t familiar with Warren & Brown torque wrenches, so I looked them up online. Interesting system; reminds me of the Snap-On torque meters I used years ago( and have recently re-acquired). Just may have to purchase one.
I looked them up also, not being familiar. Look very nice indeed. Some similarity to the TQ series Snap-on as well. Commonly called the split beam.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2022, 04:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I remember reading an article once that claimed a deflecting beam wrench was "technically" the most accurate but depended much on operator skill. And that they kept their accuracy far longer because there was no mechanism to "tire out", very little change based on normal temps, no springs etc. That good "beam" metal would basically maintain it's physical properties indefinitely unless stressed beyond it's design parameters. There is basically nothing to get out of calibration.

Old 01-24-2022, 05:13 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
I remember reading an article once that claimed a deflecting beam wrench was "technically" the most accurate but depended much on operator skill. And that they kept their accuracy far longer because there was no mechanism to "tire out", very little change based on normal temps, no springs etc. That good "beam" metal would basically maintain it's physical properties indefinitely unless stressed beyond it's design parameters. There is basically nothing to get out of calibration.
Agree, My ME Instructors in college, Richard Hathaway, (among others) said that there was more "error" in the human using the thing vs the torque wrench if it was properly made and used correctly.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2022, 02:11 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

A standard deflecting beam torque wrench requires the user to look directly down on the scale to read it properly. That’s where the user error comes in. If you look at the scale from an angle you won’t be able to read it correctly. A Warren & Brown has a pin that you push in to set the torque wrench before you use it. When the correct torque is reached the pin will “pop”. The “pop” is both visible and audible. I other words the wrench alerts you when the torque is reached.

The Following User Says Thank You to ANDYA For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2022, 02:24 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by i82much View Post
i don’t worry, i’m the charlie daniels of the torque wrench!
That made me giggle and snort...

The Following User Says Thank You to Scott Roberts For This Useful Post: