Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 12-08-2010, 11:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 389 Piston/Head Combos

Helping a friend rebuild his '66 389 that's going into his '65 GTO. Car is a 3.23 geared, 4 speed, street driven car. He wants performance that's about the same as a stock '65 GTO or a little better, and he wants to do it on 91 octane pump gas. He's in the process of ordering dished pistons for it, and has already had his 092 heads done....but here's the question: why not run later model, better flowing heads? I know about the valve angle problem, but what if he ran pistons that were built to accomodate the '67 up valve angles? What if a dished piston from CP or Ross would clear a late model valvetrain? Has anybody run late model heads on a 389, and what pistons did you use to do it? This is a .030 overbore, and he doesn't want to go '060 for the 400 slugs. Any suggestions??? Open to cam suggestions, too. Thanks.......BTW, I'm running the stock "77" heads on my '65 and have to run a race gas mix on the street....$$$$$$!! There has to be a better way.....
Jeff

Old 12-09-2010, 09:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

http://store02.prostores.com/servlet...ons/Categories