Interior TECH Upholstery, Carpet, Dash, Headliner...

Old 06-24-2023, 11:20 AM

Default Convertible top frame restoration

I am in the middle of a pro-touring restoration of my 68 Firebird Convertible. I want to refurb the convertible top frame/mechanism (disassemble, blast, powder coat, new bushings, …). It operated fine before removing from the car but looks its 50+ years of age.

I have called quite a few shops and no one, so far, is interested. Can anyone point me in the direction of someone which might be able to do this?

I’m located in Delaware and willing to transport the top mechanism 4-5 hours.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	conv top frame.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	614797   Click image for larger version

Name:	body meeting frame.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	614798  

Old 06-26-2023, 04:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's the only part of my 72 Lemans I haven't restored during my frame off. I plan to tackle that this fall. Since it looks like you have skills, I suggest you do that job yourself. It can't be as hard as putting the new top on.

Old 06-28-2023, 05:51 PM

I decided to not do my top myself this time around, and am having it done at Auto Mat Co in Hicksville, New York (that's on Long Island). Part of the job they do is to refinish the frame. I've had very good results with them in the past, but this will be the first time for a complete top job with the frame refinishing. You could always contact them for more info: https://www.autointeriors.biz/About_...t_AutoMat.html

HTH

'63 Bonneville Convertible
'56 Safari
'82 Firebird SE
Old 07-01-2023, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachelsdad View Post
Auto Mat Co in Hicksville, New York
Thanks, I'll give them a call!

Old 11-23-2023, 12:32 AM

Just got my '63 back from Auto Mat this past Saturday. Here are a few pics of the top (sorry, no full ones outdoors yet; coming soon).

While refinishing the top frame, Tim advised (and showed me a pic) that my rear bow was severely bent (who knew?). They straightened the bow, and you'd never know there had been anything wrong with it.

They completely disassembled and blasted the frame, straightened that rear bow, painted it, and reassembled. They installed a new well (yay! a well that finally fits my top!) and replaced the rear "flap" behind the rear seat (mine was original, and really in need of replacement), as well as the top pads. The rear window is amazingly clear (hopefully, it will stay that way for a long time).

I had new inserts for the header pins from Ames (which I picked up 15 or so years ago), as well as new weatherstrip all around, including the fronts of the rear windows. They installed all of that for me.

The top fits exceptionally well, and even comes down around the frame on both sides, as it should. There is some sag in my frame over the doors (normal for 60 years old - and turning 63 myself next week, I understand what "sag" really is), but they managed to adjust the frame as well as I could expect.

Apologies for the dirty upholstery. I'm still cleaning up after the extended stay at the mechanical shop. The pics of the frame, however, should give you some idea of the quality of that restoration work, and the couple exterior shots should show some of the fit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2023-11-20_top_1.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	623640   Click image for larger version

Name:	2023-11-20_top_2.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	623641   Click image for larger version

Name:	2023-11-19_top_3.jpg
Views:	61