Pontiac Business Entities Exchange Sources, Compliments and Grievances in regard to Pontiac parts or services rendered by an individual or business.

Old 11-06-2003, 08:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to liljg

Has anyone had any dealing with the Power Exchange in Jacksonville, Florida. They have my 68 GTO right now, they are rebuilding my engine. Things stared out smoothly but are taking a turn for the worse. they told me my Harmonic balancer was good but it could stand to be replaced since the engine was apart. I told them to find one and give me quote for the part. i also looked at PY, Ames, Year one, and Autozone. The highest price i could find for a Genuine GM replacement was $125.00 + s/h. Well they told me their price was $270 and some change, for one from Pioneer inc. Part number DA-4551. I asked why since i found all these others places that were much cheaper and they said that they deal directly with the manufacturer and cannot afford to buy in large quantities. Needless to say i told them to forget it. They allowed me to bring some of my own parts to the build but now are refusing to allow me to bring this part. I did a little research and called Pioneer Inc., in Meridian , MS and asked them for a quote on the same part( i did not tell them what was going on) and the man there quoted me $69.28+ s/h. I understand people need to make money but almost 4 times the original price??? Come on!!! Anyone else have any similar experiences with them or anyone else?? I did not tell them that i got a quote directly from the manufacturer like they did. I will tell them after my car and my old parts are in my hand. I am so mad about this i can not stand it. Believe me, i will tell anyone that asks in the future about what i think of their business practices. there were a few other things but this was the biggie. SO FAR

Dave Whipple

Old 11-06-2003, 08:11 PM

Has anyone had any dealing with the Power Exchange in Jacksonville, Florida. They have my 68 GTO right now, they are rebuilding my engine. Things stared out smoothly but are taking a turn for the worse. they told me my Harmonic balancer was good but it could stand to be replaced since the engine was apart. I told them to find one and give me quote for the part. i also looked at PY, Ames, Year one, and Autozone. The highest price i could find for a Genuine GM replacement was $125.00 + s/h. Well they told me their price was $270 and some change, for one from Pioneer inc. Part number DA-4551. I asked why since i found all these others places that were much cheaper and they said that they deal directly with the manufacturer and cannot afford to buy in large quantities. Needless to say i told them to forget it. They allowed me to bring some of my own parts to the build but now are refusing to allow me to bring this part. I did a little research and called Pioneer Inc., in Meridian , MS and asked them for a quote on the same part( i did not tell them what was going on) and the man there quoted me $69.28+ s/h. I understand people need to make money but almost 4 times the original price??? Come on!!! Anyone else have any similar experiences with them or anyone else?? I did not tell them that i got a quote directly from the manufacturer like they did. I will tell them after my car and my old parts are in my hand. I am so mad about this i can not stand it. Believe me, i will tell anyone that asks in the future about what i think of their business practices. there were a few other things but this was the biggie. SO FAR

Dave Whipple

Old 11-09-2003, 08:09 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Dave, I live in jax also and had my 67 Gto engine built about 6 months ago. I used Ken AKA Pontiac dude in brooksville FL. I did a lot of research and found nothing but positive feedback on him. I dont know about the place you are having build your motor but hopefully you can work it out. If not give THe dude or mini dude a call and Im sure they will hook you up. They are very fair in their prices and go out of their way to do the right thing. They are the only ones that I will use to build my motors. Good luck. Mike

Old 11-09-2003, 01:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

never heard of this place. let me know if you end up not letting them build it. there are a few local people (including us) that can build you an engine for far less than a machine shop will charge.

97 Trans Am WS6
12.13 @ 114.6
M6, stock heads, stock bottom end
74 Formula 455
11.84 @ 116.33
3800 lbs., d-ports, 9" slicks

Old 11-09-2003, 02:53 PM

thanks guys for your comments. they actually have the car and have it torn apart. sooo, i will let you know how it all turns out. they seem to be good but they also seem to be trying to nickel and dime me to death. i am sure i am spending too much but it is too late turn back now. live and learn i guess. hopefully it will be worth it in the end. i will keep you posted. thanks again

Dave Whipple

Old 11-10-2003, 03:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Dave, if you get too uncomfortable while they have you bent forwards over the hood, I'd be telling them you have run out of cash. Just pay up to date, get the car and parts and get it outa there!!!

But whatever happens, be NICE to them. After all, they have your car and possession is nine tenths of the law wherever you are!!

Good luck

Experience is that marvellous thing that makes you recognise a mistake when you make it again.

Old 11-10-2003, 05:24 AM

hehe, i know i must be nice. and believe me, if i get bent over too much farther we are going to have problems. it is suppose to be done this week but i will be out of town. i will let you know what else transpires as it happens. and thanks again for your advice. live and learn i guess.

Dave Whipple

Old 11-20-2003, 08:51 PM

got the car back yesterday. seems to run great but because it is newly rebuilt i can not really test it out for awhile. i will keep you posted on that. however, i do have a few problems, tach(not working), heater fan(not working), and gen light(stays on but alt working fine). I have to take it back to them for the 500 mile oil change and they are going to "look" into it then. also, they painted the motor, it looks great, but they did not paint the new water pump. so that looks like SH%@! I will keep you posted to let you know what transpires.

i also got new tires today and new sway bar bushing.

Dave

Old 11-21-2003, 07:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Pioneer makes two different Pontiac harmonic balancers. One is a stock replacement piece, the other is SFI rated piece. It is possible that you were originally being priced a high retail price on the SFI unit.

Old 11-23-2003, 01:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ol' Pinion head:
Pioneer makes two different Pontiac harmonic balancers. One is a stock replacement piece, the other is SFI rated piece. It is possible that you were originally being priced a high retail price on the SFI unit.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Key word.........Retail

Nobody can sell retail anymore with big companys whoring the parts business. LOL.

That price is way to high.

Build it fast, build it right, build a Pontiac.

http://PontiacDude.cc