Pontiac Business Entities Exchange Sources, Compliments and Grievances in regard to Pontiac parts or services rendered by an individual or business.

Old 10-25-2003, 07:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi,

About a year ago, a guy in FL advertised a 4-bolt 455 block on Classical Pontiac for $500. He said he drove through my state often and would deliver if I would meet him along the interstate. I sent him $500 via Postal Money Order. He kept claiming his trip was delayed, then he would not answer the phone. I have called from other numbers, and as soon as family hears what it is about, they hang up. He has now installed a phone system that asks for a pass code before placing the call through.

After waiting a year, I've finally started the ball rolling in trying to report this as fraud. I contacted the sheriff's department in his home county, and they told me to contact the local police and pursue "obtaining property by false pretenses".

I also posted to this forum some time back, and several people recommended pursuing it through the US Post Office as mail fraud. I contact the mail, and they told me to file a claim.

I read the law and it sounds like the postal fraud laws are more aimed at businesses than individuals. The amount of money involved is $500.

I'd like to hear how some of you guys have dealt with issues where you sent the money and the seller failed to deliver anything. I have verification he received the money order (email) and proof it was cashed. It was sent certified mail and was a Post Office money order.

So, if you've had any luck recovering your money or goods, let me know.

Thanks,

Mike

Old 10-25-2003, 07:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi,

About a year ago, a guy in FL advertised a 4-bolt 455 block on Classical Pontiac for $500. He said he drove through my state often and would deliver if I would meet him along the interstate. I sent him $500 via Postal Money Order. He kept claiming his trip was delayed, then he would not answer the phone. I have called from other numbers, and as soon as family hears what it is about, they hang up. He has now installed a phone system that asks for a pass code before placing the call through.

After waiting a year, I've finally started the ball rolling in trying to report this as fraud. I contacted the sheriff's department in his home county, and they told me to contact the local police and pursue "obtaining property by false pretenses".

I also posted to this forum some time back, and several people recommended pursuing it through the US Post Office as mail fraud. I contact the mail, and they told me to file a claim.

I read the law and it sounds like the postal fraud laws are more aimed at businesses than individuals. The amount of money involved is $500.

I'd like to hear how some of you guys have dealt with issues where you sent the money and the seller failed to deliver anything. I have verification he received the money order (email) and proof it was cashed. It was sent certified mail and was a Post Office money order.

So, if you've had any luck recovering your money or goods, let me know.

Thanks,

Mike

Old 10-25-2003, 12:17 PM

contact the fla attny generals office.

they should be able to help you in the right direction.

mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 10-25-2003, 07:31 PM
Senior Chief

You sent a postal money order across state lines - that makes it a felony offense mail fraud. Sounds like you may have done this already but if not, you can go to www.usps.com and print out a mail fraud form, fill it out and send it to the postmaster generals office. Also, send a copy of it (certified mail) to the guy who owes you the money with a nice note notifying him that it is a FELONY offense.

I have had to do this once with an Ebay transaction and I had a refund within days.

Drag

"How to become immortal: Read this signature tomorrow and follow its advice"

http://webpages.charter.net/dragula7

www.dixiemusclecars.com
The Southeast's only online Community dedicated to the American Muscle Car!

2006 PBM GTO LS2
1995 Arctic White Trans Am LT1
1981 Trans Am Daytona Pace Car
1969 Gold Poly Firebird w/400
Old 10-26-2003, 11:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Does this apply to dealing with an individual, or just a business?

Mike

Old 10-26-2003, 03:52 PM

both.

mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 10-26-2003, 06:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree, it does not matter if it is a business or individual. Fraud is Fraud. Don't let him get away with it.
The Postal Service and the Atty. General's office should be able to help. A letter stating it is a Felony may also get some attention.

There is no excuse.

USPS Money Orders or Wal-Mart to Wal-Mart money gram wire transfer -preferred payments.

If Payment doesn't show up in 3-4 days, I move on to the next person that wants it.

Serious Inquiries Only - Shipping Isn't Free.
Old 10-26-2003, 08:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I sent a letter about a month ago stating I was going to start pursuing the matter in the courts. I have not gotten any reply at all.

He recently installed a phone system that requires a pass code. I contacted the local sheriff's department in the county he resides in, and they could not contact him.

I'm really getting frustrated with this guy. I filled out the form on www.usps.com last night, so we'll see what happens.

Mike

Old 10-28-2003, 02:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tell me who this person is... Email me offline if necessary, and I'll see if I can help you get your motor.

Old 10-28-2003, 06:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Andre,

Thanks for the offer. I'll email you separately.

I've started filing paperwork, so I'll see how far that gets me. Right now, about the only thing that will get through to him is knocking on his door, and I'm not sure that is the best thing for a third party to do.

I'm just wondering how quickly something happens once a complaint is filed.

Mike