Old 04-22-2011, 09:03 PM

Default A/C Liquid Line

Gents,
I have a 1971 Lemans Sport with A/C.
Can anyone tell me the inside diameter of their A/C liquid line? (The line from the reciever drier to the TXV at the Evaporator.)
I had one made up, but I think it's the wrong size. The tube coming from the reciever dryer looks like 3/8". (I have not measured). The hose that was made up fits at both ends but appears to be necked down after the fittings.It says 5/16" I.D. on the hose.
I think this will cause a restriction too early in the system.
I do not have the original hose to compare.
Thanks for your help in advance.
Nick

Old 04-23-2011, 01:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

3/8" aluminum tubing is usually around .035" wall, which makes it about .300 ID. 5/16" hose is 5/16" ID, which is .312". However, where the tubing is necked down to fit the hose, it will be .070" smaller ID than the hose, or about .240 ID. Not an ideal situation, but it should work adequately. I doubt the orifice in the TXV is any bigger than 1/8 dia.

You know, now that I think about it, it seems I remember our '76 A-body that had the VIR setup had a very small diameter hose in the liquid line, certainly no bigger than 5/16". But we junked that car back in the mid-90's, so my memory could be suspect.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:18 AM

Default Anyone else with factory A/C

Thanks for the response.
I was just wondering if anyone else with factory A/C in there car could have a look at their hose and see what size it says.
Thanks Guys.