Old 08-15-2023, 11:55 PM
Senior Chief

Default '63 Ignition Switch

I want to replace the ignition switch in my '63 Tempest. Ames shows a replacement for a '62. Does anyone know the difference? It shows to use the same lock cylinder as a '63, so that's good. I'm fine with changing out the electrical connector if it's different as long as the switch provides all the necessary contacts and will physically fit the same hole in the dash.

Any information would be appreciated!

1963 Tempest Convertible (195-1bbl, 3-speed transaxle. 428 RAIV, 5-speed, IRS planned) Pictures
Old 08-16-2023, 09:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

1966 Pontiac Chassis Parts Catalog says '62 Tempest uses 1116612, a "6 contact" switch while '63 uses 1116630, an "8 contact" switch.

There is a 1116630 listed here on eBay right now. https://www.ebay.com/p/1630175663

Old 08-16-2023, 10:09 AM
Senior Chief

Thank you - I found the NOS switch and bought it. Not much more expensive than an aftermarket with the wrong pinout. The part number was very helpful! Now I can try to disassemble the old switch and clean the contacts - worth a try to have a spare.

1963 Tempest Convertible (195-1bbl, 3-speed transaxle. 428 RAIV, 5-speed, IRS planned) Pictures
Old 08-16-2023, 04:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Glad I could help.

Old 08-22-2023, 02:47 PM
Senior Chief

NOS switch arrived yesterday. Ohmmeter check showed some contacts not consistently making a clean 0Ω connection. I practiced disassembling my old switch first to make sure I could do it without damage. I cleaned and reassembled the old switch and it performs pretty well. I can still wiggle the lock cylinder a little and make the connections somewhat intermittent, but I think it's good enough as a spare for backup.

I disassembled the new switch - it was indeed NOS with no wear on the inner contacts. The original contact grease had hardened to the point where it prevented solid contact. I cleaned the old grease off and applied a good silicone contact grease. Reassembled, and the switch is perfect.

Old 08-23-2023, 08:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Going through swap meet at Norwalk a few years ago I found 3 nos 63 ignition switches for Tempest Lemans.