Old 02-21-2006, 03:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default !970 formula steering wheel ?

Are the spokes on the formula wheel painted? If it is what type of paint - Flat or Gloss?

Thanks in advance,

Nap

Old 02-21-2006, 08:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It depends. Some were painted, and a lot more were anodized. The spoke material is, I believe, what determines the finish. If aluminum, it was anodized. If steel, then it would be painted with a rough textured semi-flat black. The texture actually ends up looking like extremely bad, dry overspray, but that's what was on those wheels that were painted.
By the way- the majority of these wheels were of the aluminum/anodized variety.

Old 02-21-2006, 11:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to link09

Heres a quick pick if it helps!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	70.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	43297  

Old 02-22-2006, 11:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That looks like an anodized aluminum Formula wheel. Only the aluminum were available in colors other than black (although, every Formula wheel that I've ever seen on A-bodies WAS black).
Reproducing that silver finish will be extremely difficult. The only way that I know to do it, is to strip the wheel of all foam, and re-anodize it. Then, you would need to re-cover the rim, using leather and padding to replicate the molded foam. Painting will not produce anywhere near the correct finish (unless someone has used one of the new translucent anodize-look paints with success).
I'd research to be sure that your wheel didn't actualy come from a Firebird. If the silver color is, in fact, corrrect, getting a new molded reproduction wheel (with the thicker style rim cross-section) may be the best option.

Old 02-22-2006, 11:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

By the way, even the aluminum-centered wheels that I've seen on A-bodies were anodized. They were just anodized in black, instead of silver (or gold, in some F-bodies).

Old 02-23-2006, 04:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

napster, if you are looking for more input on this subject you may want to send an e-mail to DENNIS W. @ denniswro@wowway.com >> I had very sad looking thick grip wheel for my 70 gto restored by him. it is holding up nicely and maybe the best thing going outside of n.o.s. TOM 4/6.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	restored rally #1.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	43506  

Old 02-23-2006, 05:14 PM
Senior Chief

This wheel has been off the car a long time but I'm sure it is faded but this is how it looks. I do like the darker look slah's has. The horn button on mine is for a '70 - mid '71 I believe. The button on yours is mid '71 -72. I'm putting this wheel on a '72 so if you want to work something out?.....................
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wheela.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	226.0 KB
ID:	43508