Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 02-08-2003, 08:53 PM

I am going to be putting together a Pontiac 400 engine to race in a 3/8 mile oval street stock class and I'm looking for info or suggestions from those who have experience with this type of pontiac racing.

Class rules limit CR to 10.5, must use factory cast iron intake and heads (no grinding of any kind), headers OK, any flat tappet cam, any rods & pistons. Spools OK now too so this should alleviate some tire spinning from excess TQ.

The car is currently geared to run from 3500rpm in the slowest corner to 6500 max.

I am looking for help especially in the following areas;

1 - Pistons - I'd like to run some lightweight flat tops with approx 6cc relief) The JE/SRP, Ross and Wiseco sites don't list too much variety or detail. Anyone know of a quality pistons that matches?

2 - Cam - Any suggestions (especially backed by oval track experience) will be appreciated. At first glance the Lunati 40710 looked close;
256/268 .550/.571 106-LS 104-ICL.

3 - Flywheel - The SBCs we have been running in the car are using the 15 pound GM HI-Perf 10.5" flywheels (in a lakewood Bellhousing), Does anyone make a light steel flywheel that will bolt up to the back of a traditional pontiac crank? I'd feel bad putting some light pistons and rods inside then bolting on a heavy hurkin' flywheel!

4 - Pontiac tricks - Anything that will capitalize on the strengths of a Pontiac engine in this type of racing.

The local street stock series has turned into an almost all chevy show and I'd like to shake it up a bit. We race at Evergreen Speedway in Monroe, WA.

http://www.evergreenspeedway.com/

Thanks in advance for any help and information you can offer

Old 02-08-2003, 08:53 PM

I am going to be putting together a Pontiac 400 engine to race in a 3/8 mile oval street stock class and I'm looking for info or suggestions from those who have experience with this type of pontiac racing.

Class rules limit CR to 10.5, must use factory cast iron intake and heads (no grinding of any kind), headers OK, any flat tappet cam, any rods & pistons. Spools OK now too so this should alleviate some tire spinning from excess TQ.

The car is currently geared to run from 3500rpm in the slowest corner to 6500 max.

I am looking for help especially in the following areas;

1 - Pistons - I'd like to run some lightweight flat tops with approx 6cc relief) The JE/SRP, Ross and Wiseco sites don't list too much variety or detail. Anyone know of a quality pistons that matches?

2 - Cam - Any suggestions (especially backed by oval track experience) will be appreciated. At first glance the Lunati 40710 looked close;
256/268 .550/.571 106-LS 104-ICL.

3 - Flywheel - The SBCs we have been running in the car are using the 15 pound GM HI-Perf 10.5" flywheels (in a lakewood Bellhousing), Does anyone make a light steel flywheel that will bolt up to the back of a traditional pontiac crank? I'd feel bad putting some light pistons and rods inside then bolting on a heavy hurkin' flywheel!

4 - Pontiac tricks - Anything that will capitalize on the strengths of a Pontiac engine in this type of racing.

The local street stock series has turned into an almost all chevy show and I'd like to shake it up a bit. We race at Evergreen Speedway in Monroe, WA.

http://www.evergreenspeedway.com/

Thanks in advance for any help and information you can offer

Old 02-08-2003, 08:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

Call Ken's Speed and Machine in Fl. He builds a lot of round track motors, a few of then Pontiacs. He knows what will work and what won't.

1-352-796-8800 or
www.pontiacdude.cc

Old 02-09-2003, 07:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Another point of contact is Jim Lehart. He owns a machine shop just outside of Richmond Va. and a has expirience with using Pontiac 400's for circle track racing. jlpbody@aol.com .....Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 02-09-2003, 11:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have 4.160 bore Cometic Head Gaskets for Pontiac just like Winston Cup Cars. Email for Sponsorship price!

-Rob

Old 02-10-2003, 08:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks like you need to get them to approve the stock Pontiac valve sizes.

http://fiedlerh.home.att.net/

Old 02-10-2003, 04:53 PM

Thank You guys for your input and the contact information. You're right about no listing for Pontiac valve sizes in the rules however...
We know the track manager and the tech guys and they desperately want more variety in the show.

They too are getting tired of 60 small block camaros chasing around each saturday night. We are being encouraged to try different formulas (no pun intended) to spice up the show, so I don't anticipate any problems with the details as long as we stick to the spirit of the rules.

I know there are some others on the board who have some oval track experience with pontiacs, how about hearing from you... Pdude, b-man, Tom V.

Thanks again for your help in all pontiac eneavor

Old 02-10-2003, 06:41 PM
Senior Chief

-----

Old 02-11-2003, 08:33 AM

We know a little bit........

I will get PD to look at this one... maybe we can help ya out a bit.

My daddy can do donuts at 105 mph can yours?!?!?