Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 10-07-2022, 05:35 PM

Default Firebird turn signal switch

Hi All,

I think the turn signal switch in my 68 firebird, floor shift, non-tilt column is suspect. The DS blinker started going off by itself, even with the car shut off, great way to kill a battery. Only way to keep it from happening is to put pressure on the hazard switch in the up or down direction.

If it is the switch in the column how is the one from Ames? I know I have to figure out which type it is first before I order. Is there a best brand? I am not sure if the one in there is a cheap brand.

Also, any tricks to replacing it and getting the connector in there?

Thanks!

Old 10-07-2022, 07:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This is likely not going to be a shared opinion.

But I fought with mine some in my 67. Honestly? If I were going to replace the whole switch assembly I would probably just buy an aftermarket steering column. You have to do pretty much the same stuff to replace the switch as you do to replace the whole assembly. So I would just buy a new column and get myself tilt or maybe telescoping action.

In my case while the switch it worn out and will stick on sometimes, my major problems were at the wiring harness. I replaced some of the female pins in the connector and solved it.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 10-08-2022, 03:24 PM

Wouldn't mind tilt, would just want rebuilt factory one but those are big bucks. I just noticed that its only the DS front blinker that goes on by itself, the rear does not.