Old 07-08-2002, 01:35 PM
Senior Chief

greetings..at the hinge joint of the front and center side rails there is a small threaded screw (without a head, Allen key type.)that is to adjust some aspect of the conv. top mechanism--but what part?? The body manual just tells you that it's an "adjusting" screw and leaves it at that. I'm trying to get my top to be a little more water-proof than it is and perhaps this mystery adjustment would do the trick..does anyone know what it's function is?? (I've tried screwing it to full in/full out but it doesn't SEEM to alter anything..any ideas?) Thanks, Jim.

Old 07-08-2002, 01:35 PM
Senior Chief

greetings..at the hinge joint of the front and center side rails there is a small threaded screw (without a head, Allen key type.)that is to adjust some aspect of the conv. top mechanism--but what part?? The body manual just tells you that it's an "adjusting" screw and leaves it at that. I'm trying to get my top to be a little more water-proof than it is and perhaps this mystery adjustment would do the trick..does anyone know what it's function is?? (I've tried screwing it to full in/full out but it doesn't SEEM to alter anything..any ideas?) Thanks, Jim.

Old 07-09-2002, 08:38 PM

Jim,
First off, WELCOME!!! I went out and looked at my 67 convert, found the screw you mentioned. Funny, I never noticed it before. I looked it over and can only guess it has something to do with how far the front bar comes down; the farther in it is, the more it would appear to hold the rear of that bar down. Mine both seem to be almost flush at the head, and I agree, did not seem to really make any difference. I recently had a new top installed and I was told there are two types of convertables; those that leak, and those that leak alot. I did it all, new cylinders, pump motor, weatherstrip, alignment cables, top and professionally installed. Still leaks like a 6 month old baby. I think that screw was a way for the factory to align the joining of those parts with the window. Geez, now that I know they gave us an alignment screw, I wish it would actually align stuff!! Sorry I couldn't be of more help Jim!! If you keep posting, I'll keep trying!!

Again, welcome...these guys (though a little zany) really are a great bunch. Glad to count you among us!

Happy GTO'ing
Doug [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-09-2002, 10:25 PM
Senior Chief

Doug..thanks for the reply..I'll mess with that screw and see what happens. The Fisher Body book actually gives pretty good directions for adjusting the top to get it to seal ( as long as it doesn't rain too much.)Mine has had a half inch gap above the drivers window for the last 23 years which I've ignored (S.California weather!)but I've now cured it,and most of the other mis-alignments,by removing the rear upholstery and adjusting everything from the anchor plate behind the 1/4 trim panels. Works like a charm. If you've got the '67 Fisher manual you might want to check out that chapter. Now, if I can just master the Mystery Screw up in the rails....

Regards and thanks for the welcome. Jim.

Old 07-10-2002, 06:52 AM

Thanks Jim,
Maybe I can get mine into that "leaks" area instead of "leaks alot"!!! Let me know if you solve that mystery of the little screw.

I think I just added another person to my "friends made here" list!

Have a great day Jim!

Old 07-10-2002, 07:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

And you did it within Jim's first two posts on the board!!!

Old 07-10-2002, 07:23 PM

Hey Champ!
Sure, we are all friends (unless you really try not to be!)
Champ, meet Jim... Jim, meet Champ!
Jim, watch this guy ....just kidding, Champs a great guy!
Later Gators

Old 07-11-2002, 01:13 AM
Senior Chief

Thank you for the welcome...I have posted a couple of pics in the readers rides sect which I guess will be up a day or so so if you want to see my '67...
I was a regular with PY parts about 10 years ago but I'm probably long forgotten by now as I haven't really done much since then with my car..I'm now ready to hop back into it and get some of the new items in the catalog..all my previous buying was well before there was any On-Line Anything! I hope the forum will be helpful and friendly and it's shaping up that way..I do my own engine/driveline/electrics/susp/brakes but I leave tranny internals and upholstery/exerior painting for the pros. Have to know your limitations. When I bought this car in '79 I could go and visit any of the DIY junk yards that were operating in LA then and they might have a dozen or more GTO/LEMANS/TEMPESTS just sitting there waiting for you to start taking off the goodies.Not to mention a heapin' helpin' of the big old Bonnies/Cats etc of which we would happily swipe any A body fitting parts off! It was sad to know that they'd all be hauled over to the CRUSHER after a couple of weeks and be squished beyond recognition. Gone forever. SHOULD have bought every dang one of those cars!! Too late. I went over to the local Ecology junk yard(First time in maybe 7 years) a few weeks back to get a tail light for my everyday 94 Buick Skyhawk and I realised that there was not a single 1960s vehichle in the whole 2000 car yard. I'd sure hate to be starting out with a tired old '67 beater these days..(Sorry this is so long,got carried away dreaming of GTO-infested junk yards...)Regards to all, Jim.

Old 07-11-2002, 10:22 PM

Jim,
Those where the days weren't they...sad that they are gone. I'm glad I got my 'beater in '80 so I've had many years of getting it to where it is. I even went to technical college for autobody just so I could do my own paint work. To bad we are so far away as it sounds like my weak areas are your strong ones and vice/versa. I like interior/bodywork and enough mechanics to get me in trouble, but like you stated, I have to know my limitations! Wish we could hang out, swap stories/tell lies while we help one another with the areas we fear to trend. Always lots of good free advice around here and just enogh razzing to make it fun! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Give me a hollar now and again, let me know if I can help ya with anything..... of course I may pick yer brain a bit here and there along the way too!

Take care!!