Old 07-11-2002, 02:52 PM

Ok...Everyone tells me it goes along with owning a Pontiac,, but I jusst stated having this problem. When car is hot...(say 180 to 200) and I turn it off..It just won't start again for
about 15 - 30 minutes. I have an electric fan so thought that was drawing on the battery and causing it....But I put in a 100amp cranking battery and its still the same. Its not the battery because I noe realize that the fan was still operating when it wouldn't start...So it must be something else. In looking through AMES book,
I looked at the new starters which state they "cure" the hot start proble. They claim to have 560 lbs of torque vs the normal 190lbs in the standard starters. I am considering ordering one to give it a try.
Any experience with this problem. By the way..The hot start problem is when I turn the key there is just a click or nothing at all. Just like the battery was stone dead. It does not turn over at all. (But the electric fans keeps on BLOWING!!!)

What do you think??/

Thanks for any help you can provide//

Tom

Old 07-11-2002, 02:52 PM

Ok...Everyone tells me it goes along with owning a Pontiac,, but I jusst stated having this problem. When car is hot...(say 180 to 200) and I turn it off..It just won't start again for
about 15 - 30 minutes. I have an electric fan so thought that was drawing on the battery and causing it....But I put in a 100amp cranking battery and its still the same. Its not the battery because I noe realize that the fan was still operating when it wouldn't start...So it must be something else. In looking through AMES book,
I looked at the new starters which state they "cure" the hot start proble. They claim to have 560 lbs of torque vs the normal 190lbs in the standard starters. I am considering ordering one to give it a try.
Any experience with this problem. By the way..The hot start problem is when I turn the key there is just a click or nothing at all. Just like the battery was stone dead. It does not turn over at all. (But the electric fans keeps on BLOWING!!!)

What do you think??/

Thanks for any help you can provide//

Tom

Old 07-11-2002, 03:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you get no click from the starter at all, the starter solenoid is the problem. It can be a faulty solenoid aggravated by heat, or it is getting too hot to pull in completely. Since you say the problem just began, I would check for a malfunctioning/worn solenoid first.

Regards, George

Old 07-12-2002, 02:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

OK I'll chime in and say that the consensus seems to be to try a Good quality mini starter. GPE, Tilton, etc.. we all have had this problem it seems and the mini starter and / or the remote solenoid (which I have done and can vouch for)seem to cure it. I'm going for the Mini starter myself now. GPE has a good rep, jim butler sells them. Wondering....Has anyone tried the mini starters the guy on ebay sells?? What do they look like to you who are more knowledgeable?
Thanks!

Work
'67 GTO Convertible "Koerner Built 413 500 hp with a Victor!.. I'll run a stock intake."
'75 Formula 400 - Daily Driver -
Running with my Home Built 455 and TH400

Details here:
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=588372
Old 07-12-2002, 09:49 PM
Senior Chief

Tom...I'd be looking at the solenoid/starter first too but if that checks out okay then you might want to check the wiring that runs down to the starter.. both the bat. cable and esp.the other two. I had similar probs and sorted it out eventually be replacing the entire forward engine harness (about $120 for the correct replacement from M&H Electrics in LA but hopefuly PY has a better deal??)The wires get damaged by the constant heat from the motor..often the small tube that protects them as they pass by the exhaust manifolds is missing..and they won't carry enough current to crank it all over. It also wouldn't do any harm to add a stainless steel solenoid shield (I'm sure PY has them but don't have the catalog with me)as a bit of extra protection. Mine used to pull this trick every time it got a little hot after a run...drove me nuts. No problems since. (and a new harness might forestall a few other potential elec. problems as well..)
Regards, Jim.

Old 07-13-2002, 06:20 AM

I'll chime in and agree that if you are getting no sound, nothing, it is probably the solenoid or wiring. If the starter turns real slowly and sounds like it's struggling, then you may need a high torque unit. I had the same problem with the wiring described above, and mine's original and had never been touched; the heat just finally killed it.

Old 07-13-2002, 09:48 PM

Thanks Guys.....I think all of your suggestions make sense. Siince I have never replced the starter, I have decided to put a new one in. I purchased a Hi Torque IMI starter from Ames. It claims to have 570 lbs of cranking power..It should at $200!!!...it is being installed on tues night so I will let you know if it works or if I need to start tracing worn wiring harnesses...

Thanks for all the help so far..

Tom Calo
Oakville CT

Old 07-15-2002, 05:02 PM

Jim67 had the same cure as I had on my 67.
The wires that go to the alternator were burned
almost all the way thru you couln't tell by looking. I had put in a new battery, high torque starter $250.00) and still had the problem. I replaced the wires and it starts great now. 1$ worth of wire.
Walt

1967 GTO Convertible Tyrol Blue
1967 GTO Hardtop- Fathom Blue
"Got Pontiac"
Old 07-15-2002, 06:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What kind shape are your battery cables?I replaced mine a couple of years ago but I didn't
think about the size of the cable.I was using 06,
I changed to 04 and it really helped.Since you are changing the starter you might as well replace the cables too...Eric

Old 07-15-2002, 06:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't forget the various "ground" cables. Cables are very easy to check. When having the problem, simply bypass the cables by using a good set of jumper cables. If the starter turns, you have found your problem. Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 07-19-2002, 04:07 PM

purchase a high quality tilton starter, replace all wires, check grounds. worked for me.
-s