Old 06-30-2002, 11:21 AM

I plan to replace the trans. cross member on my 67 GTO convert. I know repro's are available but I havn't heard any comments on the quality. I'm looking for opinions, find an original or buy a new repro. Thanks guys.
Jim

Old 06-30-2002, 11:21 AM

I plan to replace the trans. cross member on my 67 GTO convert. I know repro's are available but I havn't heard any comments on the quality. I'm looking for opinions, find an original or buy a new repro. Thanks guys.
Jim

Old 07-09-2002, 08:58 PM

Jim,
First off WELCOME!! Now are you replacing it due to rust/damage to the end where it inserts into the rubber mounts? Maybe you want a perfect restoration, and if so, skip this. If you are after a nice driver( like mine), then I have a suggestion to save you some cash. My 67 convertable crossmember had rusted away on the ends over the years and was too short to safely support the tranny under load(if you catch my drift ). I simply took it to my trusted weld shop, had them beef up the ends, ground it down, painted it and it has worked flawlessly for 11 years. The ends are hidden in the rubber mounts so the only one who knows it's repaired is me, and it's one more original piece I kept on the car. I agree that repro's are often lesser quality than original so I always try to save the part. Best part, it cost $20 to have done. Hope this helps and again welcome to the party!!

Happy GTO'ing
Doug [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-09-2002, 09:27 PM
Senior Chief

doug i did the same thing but i did it myself like you said can't even tell.
Don