Old 07-27-2002, 11:22 AM
Senior Chief

Got the 66 Tempest home last night, talk about fun with an antique chain fall and wooden ramps that did not fit. Oh well, there are some very neat things that I didn't even realize about the car. It only has 36000 original miles on it and the engine bay doesn't even look dirty. The interior is dirty but I took a little cleaner to the seats and they came out looking new. Put a battery in it and all the electrical seems OK, brakes lights etc, etc. The starter did not click so the solenoid is probably frozen. Looked down the carb and it still nice and clean. All the A/C components look good. All the sticker from the factory are still there including the dealers oil change warranty sticker (metalic on the radiator core). Its the stock OHC 6, I'll be pulling this before long. Lots of little things that I won't be using or keeping around.
Oh well time to go play.

Old 07-27-2002, 11:22 AM
Senior Chief

Got the 66 Tempest home last night, talk about fun with an antique chain fall and wooden ramps that did not fit. Oh well, there are some very neat things that I didn't even realize about the car. It only has 36000 original miles on it and the engine bay doesn't even look dirty. The interior is dirty but I took a little cleaner to the seats and they came out looking new. Put a battery in it and all the electrical seems OK, brakes lights etc, etc. The starter did not click so the solenoid is probably frozen. Looked down the carb and it still nice and clean. All the A/C components look good. All the sticker from the factory are still there including the dealers oil change warranty sticker (metalic on the radiator core). Its the stock OHC 6, I'll be pulling this before long. Lots of little things that I won't be using or keeping around.
Oh well time to go play.

Old 07-27-2002, 12:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Oh the feeing of bringing a new ride home ! There's not enough hours in the day to do all the things that you want to do to it right away . Good luck and have fun with it .

Old 07-27-2002, 09:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via Yahoo to 1-GTO

Only 36,000 original miles!
I think I'm gonna cry.....!
Does it have a 1-bbl or 4-bbl carb?
How about a picture Dryseals??

Old 07-27-2002, 11:05 PM
Senior Chief

SWEET! Good luck! We need pictures!!!

"It beats pickin' cotton and waitin' to be forgotten"

Old 07-28-2002, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by retrojoe:
SWEET! Good luck! We need pictures!!!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Ditto

Old 07-28-2002, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 1-GTO:
Only 36,000 original miles!
I think I'm gonna cry.....!
Does it have a 1-bbl or 4-bbl carb?
How about a picture Dryseals??
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Looks like the Tin Indian gods have smiled upon you, Dryseals...

Is it a base Tempest or Tempest Custom? Either way, you have hit on a great deal. Keep us posted....
-------------------------------------------------
"The road goes on forever, and the party never ends." - Robert Earl Keen

Old 07-28-2002, 05:30 PM
Senior Chief

It's a one barrel, I dont know how to tell if its custom, doesn't have any special emblems. Its spinning over real well but has not fired. The neutral safety switch was bad so now I have fire to the coil, looks like the points could use some refreshing. I'll get it to fire tonight though, just finished pressure washing the back patio and now I need a small rest.
I'll try to get some pictures this week. Its kind of funny, I've had computers in the house since the early 80s (TI4A) and I've yet to post a picture of anything.

Old 07-28-2002, 08:46 PM

Hey Dryseals, (Mike?)
I believe I talked to you last weekend at the car show in Orange. Good to see you got the Tempest. Let me know if you want that 400 short block. ($75.) Drop me an e-mail.
Dan

Old 07-29-2002, 09:43 AM

It sounds like you have a base Tempest there, Dryseals. If it has 3 horizontal chrome ornaments behind the front wheel openings, it's the base model. If it's a Custom, It will have chrome strips along the upper portions of the body, which really accent the Coke-bottle lines of the body. But since you mention that it does'nt have any special ornamentation (small "Custom" badges below the Tempest emblem on the rear quarter panel, as well as "Custom" badges on the door panels), it's probably a base model. (For a base model, the first 3 digits of the VIN will read 233, as opposed to 235 for the Custom)

If it is a base model, you have a car that is VERY hard to find these days, since there were less base Tempests than Custom models sold in 1966, and not many are still around today. My guess is that many of the base models became donor part cars for GTOs because of their lack of excess ornamentation. So whether you decide to keep it original or drop in a 400 or 455, that car is going to make a nice ride for you. (If you could only see the shade of envious green on my face).
------------------------------------------------
"The road goes on forever, and the party never ends." - Robert Earl Keen

Old 07-29-2002, 05:02 PM
Senior Chief

Yes the Indian Tin Gods have blessed me and for all of $850. Sixties Guy, this is Mike from the car show and yes I do want the short block. I still have your number and will call you soon.

Old 07-29-2002, 06:29 PM

Only $850??? Now I'm REALLY envious.

Old 07-29-2002, 09:03 PM
Senior Chief

I call it just plain lucky, I picked up an 85 Corvette about three years ago with 72K and paid $2900 for it. Needed shocks/paint and interior. I've been driving it since then, just took it off the road for an engine swap. Which brings up another thing, I have seem to become the "home for wayward motors". Had a 350 4 bolt main, never bore dropped off at the house a few weeks ago and then someone else gave me a whole Vortec engine thats never been bore. Of course for the last few years (many more than a few), I've paid my dues trying to be helpful and getting ripped off right and left. Hopefully the luck will keep running. Where that wood when you need it?