Old 07-14-2002, 09:27 PM

This has been going on for about six months and it is getting very frustrating. It started one day out of the clear blue, and I have been unable to cure it. If I try to wind my '66 Tri Power up on just the center two barrel, it falls flat on it's face about 3800 to 4000 RPM. I mean it really dies. If you let off it, it comes back in a few seconds. If you romp on the three twos, it winds hard to the redline like it should.
I have checked the spark, going so far as to run the timing light inside the car. I was pretty sure it was fuel anyway, but I wanted to be doubly sure. No ping. Sonoco higest grade and octane booster (genuine tetraethyl lead).
Fuel pressure is okay at all speed ranges and throttle positions, on the center carb or all three dueces.
I checked the float level, and it was okay, but I raised it a tad anyway' just to be sure the inlet was getting fully uncovered easily. Inlet needle and seat and their linkage looks okay too. Changed the fuel filter, and the inside of the carb was clean as a whistle anyway.
Today I took the center carb apart, AGAIN, and checked everything I could think of, and couldn't find a thing wrong. (PS- don't forget to hook the throttle return spring back up, or when you take off, you will really take off!)
I don't even know where to look now. I am about to either send this carb off for a professional rebuild (and the colors aren't even bad on it. My little tags are even all still in good shape.), or buy a replacement carb.
Any of you reasonably astute fellow Pontiac nuts have any ideas at all? I welcome any and all suggestions. Thanks.

[ July 24, 2002, 11:08 PM: Message edited by: Virginian ]

Old 07-14-2002, 09:27 PM

This has been going on for about six months and it is getting very frustrating. It started one day out of the clear blue, and I have been unable to cure it. If I try to wind my '66 Tri Power up on just the center two barrel, it falls flat on it's face about 3800 to 4000 RPM. I mean it really dies. If you let off it, it comes back in a few seconds. If you romp on the three twos, it winds hard to the redline like it should.
I have checked the spark, going so far as to run the timing light inside the car. I was pretty sure it was fuel anyway, but I wanted to be doubly sure. No ping. Sonoco higest grade and octane booster (genuine tetraethyl lead).
Fuel pressure is okay at all speed ranges and throttle positions, on the center carb or all three dueces.
I checked the float level, and it was okay, but I raised it a tad anyway' just to be sure the inlet was getting fully uncovered easily. Inlet needle and seat and their linkage looks okay too. Changed the fuel filter, and the inside of the carb was clean as a whistle anyway.
Today I took the center carb apart, AGAIN, and checked everything I could think of, and couldn't find a thing wrong. (PS- don't forget to hook the throttle return spring back up, or when you take off, you will really take off!)
I don't even know where to look now. I am about to either send this carb off for a professional rebuild (and the colors aren't even bad on it. My little tags are even all still in good shape.), or buy a replacement carb.
Any of you reasonably astute fellow Pontiac nuts have any ideas at all? I welcome any and all suggestions. Thanks.

[ July 24, 2002, 11:08 PM: Message edited by: Virginian ]

Old 07-24-2002, 11:10 PM

btt

Old 07-24-2002, 11:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

All I can imagine is that you have something impeding the fuel supply to the center carburetor. Run a pipe cleaner or something similar through the fuel line, and really check the needle and seat closely. Also check the jets and the carb under the jests to assure everything looks clear. If you don't find anything it would be interesting to swap a needle and seat between one of the end carbs and the center.

Old 07-25-2002, 12:05 PM

I knew someone would come up with something I hadn't thought of yet. Great idea Mr. Taylor, I'll try it tomorrow. Thanks.