Old 07-28-2002, 11:20 AM
Senior Chief

Almost by accident I disconnected my battery while the car was running and immediately the engine was running smoother. My lopey cam sound was less evident and the gas pedal response was alot more crisp. Also if I leave the battery connected for a few days, the battery will drain. What sounds wrong here? Thanks, Joe 66/67/70 GTO's

[ July 28, 2002, 11:22 AM: Message edited by: GTOJOE228 ]

1970 GTO Judge, PHS Doc. 4sp, #'s match, Ram Air III
2006 GTO Spice Red. M6,18" wheels, 400 HP LS2

richmondcountypontiac.com

Need High Quality Printing fast and reasonable?
www.farbetterprinting.com

Since 1974
Quotes at: sales@farbetterprinting.com
Old 07-28-2002, 11:20 AM
Senior Chief

Almost by accident I disconnected my battery while the car was running and immediately the engine was running smoother. My lopey cam sound was less evident and the gas pedal response was alot more crisp. Also if I leave the battery connected for a few days, the battery will drain. What sounds wrong here? Thanks, Joe 66/67/70 GTO's

[ July 28, 2002, 11:22 AM: Message edited by: GTOJOE228 ]

Since 1974
Old 07-28-2002, 02:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Possibly, your alternator output voltage begins to rise without the battery connected to filter out the alternator ripple.

Regards, George

Old 07-28-2002, 02:42 PM

I don't know why the engine would run smoother without the battery, but you've got a short somewhere in the system. Start by checking the alternator itself. If it is internally regulated you just need to replace it. If you have an external regulator (especially the old mechanical points type), check to see if it's working. If it's not the regulator, you need to chase down the drain.

Just thinking; if your battery is really weak the altrnator will be working hard to recharge it...better check that battery too.

Old 07-28-2002, 09:34 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks for your help, the alternator has a internal regulator. How do you test this other than the output voltage. The battery has a tender that gets connected every time the car sits, even for one day so the battery is always fully charged. If this is a short where do you begin?

Since 1974
Old 07-29-2002, 01:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I also can't fathom why it would run better unless something is wrong with your ignition system to start with.

Best way to chase down a leak (not a short; a short will blow fuses or burn up wiring) is to disconnect a circuit at a time by pulling fuses, while monitoring battery current with a meter. The reason to use a meter instead of a test light is that low levels of current draw will not light the bulb whereas a meter will show the current draw.

Regards, George

Old 07-29-2002, 04:59 PM
Senior Chief

Start the cra up, battery connected, and then take a voltage reading on the DC scale across the battery posts and note your readings. Rev the engine up a few RPMs and note the readings. Then add a load to the system by turning on the headlights, A/C and hit the brakes. Note your readings at idle and rev. For each reading you take, also switch to the AC mode on the meter and see if there is any AC floating around. If there is AC a diode may have gone south. The DC voltage reading should all be around 14.5 volts. Is there an underdrive pulley on the crank?