Old 07-23-2002, 12:00 PM

My 67 GTO has a spot in the steering box that slightly hangs up. I had a 57 Chevy with the same problem and they had a rebuild kit with new balls. One of the balls was really chewed up so I replaced them and even though there was slight wear on the worm gear, this really helped. I want to replace the balls in my 67 box but I can't find them. Is there a rebuild kit for steering boxes that has the balls, not just the seals ect.? Are these the same as the late 50s boxes, because I think those kits are still available. Thanks for any info.

Old 07-23-2002, 12:00 PM

My 67 GTO has a spot in the steering box that slightly hangs up. I had a 57 Chevy with the same problem and they had a rebuild kit with new balls. One of the balls was really chewed up so I replaced them and even though there was slight wear on the worm gear, this really helped. I want to replace the balls in my 67 box but I can't find them. Is there a rebuild kit for steering boxes that has the balls, not just the seals ect.? Are these the same as the late 50s boxes, because I think those kits are still available. Thanks for any info.

Old 07-24-2002, 10:44 AM
Senior Chief

I found a few local auto parts stores that carry rebuild kits for the steering box. Not sure what's included. You may want to check around locally. Not sure if you have Auto Zone Parts stores in your area but amazingly enough they seem to stock a lot of parts for older Pontiacs. Also several of the restoration suppliers offer a steering box rebuild service. So it's possible that they can get the parts or they may know of a supplier. Cliff

Old 07-24-2002, 11:09 AM

Thanks Cliff. I have gone to the local parts places and they have rebuild kits, but they don't include the balls like the kit did for my 57 Chevy. I am wondering if the box on a 57 uses the same guts as on my 67. I suppose I could bust open another box for a ball. I also was surprised to see how much stuff Pep Boys has for my car that the better local places don't. You do what you have to do on these old cars. Karl.

Old 07-24-2002, 12:56 PM
Senior Chief

Karl, Let me know if the Chevy ball works for your steering box. I'll keep my eyes open for any venders that sell some for Pontiacs. I'm thinking about going the quick ratio route on my '67. I need to consider the disk brake swap too. Sometimes those drums are just plain scary. But that's a whole other topic. cliff [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-24-2002, 04:55 PM
Senior Chief

When my box went out I replaced it with one from an '83 Buick...much better than the original. Looks and fits fine. It's a straight bolt-in swap but they switched over to metric fittings on the fluid lines somewhere around that time so be careful with the year you get or you won't be able to couple the lines from the pump without adapters.I paid about $20 for it from a Pick-a-Part yard. (At the same time I also put in a front sway bar out of a '79 Trans Am..huge thing the size of a python but it improved the handling 100%.) Jim.