Old 10-22-2022, 01:44 PM

Default Reset switch in driver side inner fender

Sorry for the double post. Pic didn't load on the first one.
Can anyone share what looks like some sort of reset switch is for that's located on the driver side inner fender? I've heard its so the car can be started by reaching in the window without sitting in the seat?
My car will not start (or even turn over) while sitting in the seat so I'm wondering if this might be the source of the problem and if so is there a way to wire around it?

TY
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220927-084054_Chrome.jpeg
Views:	195
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	600933  

Last edited by KSR74SD455; 10-22-2022 at 02:05 PM.
Old 10-22-2022, 04:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mine went bad. I just made a jumper wire and bypassed it.

Mike

Old 10-23-2022, 12:08 AM
Senior Chief

That is the seat belt interlock switch.

Old 10-23-2022, 12:39 PM
Senior Chief

Look under the driver's seat you will find that there is a set of wire that have a sensor in the bottom seat pad. When you get in your car and use your seatbelt you can start your car. When you get in the car and don't use your seatbelt the car will not start. The relay that you have pictured is in case the system is not working correctly you push the button on the fender, and it will reset the system. I hope this helps to explain the reset relay. By the way a SD-455 car? It looks as if the relay has been changed some time in the past.

Old 10-24-2022, 09:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I was using my 74 455 T/A as a daily driver back in the 1990s. The relay became intermittent, became very unpredictable. As I mentioned in the first post, I bypassed it. The relay has male spade terminals that go into the socket mounted on the fender well. I made a short jumper wire using two male spade crimp terminals, and tossed the relay. Here is a picture of what you need.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crimp.png
Views:	65
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	601053  

Old 10-24-2022, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula kid View Post
Look under the driver's seat you will find that there is a set of wire that have a sensor in the bottom seat pad. When you get in your car and use your seatbelt you can start your car. When you get in the car and don't use your seatbelt the car will not start. The relay that you have pictured is in case the system is not working correctly you push the button on the fender, and it will reset the system. I hope this helps to explain the reset relay. By the way a SD-455 car? It looks as if the relay has been changed some time in the past.
Yes it's a proper numbers matching SD-455 car verified by me and PHS.
I agree it does look like it's been changed or at the very least painted black but the base plug under it is the proper orange.
Thank you for the info on the switch and what it is designed for. I did try putting on the seatbelt but didn't change anything at the time. Now that I understand it's function I'll get it sorted.
Many Thx for the help.

Old 10-24-2022, 11:45 AM

TY!

Old 10-24-2022, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho-mike View Post
I was using my 74 455 T/A as a daily driver back in the 1990s. The relay became intermittent, became very unpredictable. As I mentioned in the first post, I bypassed it. The relay has male spade terminals that go into the socket mounted on the fender well. I made a short jumper wire using two male spade crimp terminals, and tossed the relay. Here is a picture of what you need.
Thanks for the info Mike. If I can't find the proper replacement thats what I'll do.

Old 10-24-2022, 02:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My recommendation is you make up the wire and keep it in your glove box.

We were using my car for a daily driver, and my wife probably drove it more than I did. Part of the problem may have been that she wasn't heavy enough to trigger the seat switch. She figured out that if it didn't start, she could sometimes get it to crank if she bounced up and down on the seat a few times. I finally got irritated enough to remove it and install the jumper. Incidentally, the seat cushion needs to be replaced.

Old 10-25-2022, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho-mike View Post
My recommendation is you make up the wire and keep it in your glove box.

We were using my car for a daily driver, and my wife probably drove it more than I did. Part of the problem may have been that she wasn't heavy enough to trigger the seat switch. She figured out that if it didn't start, she could sometimes get it to crank if she bounced up and down on the seat a few times. I finally got irritated enough to remove it and install the jumper. Incidentally, the seat cushion needs to be replaced.
Haha, thats pretty funny! I'm gonna try to wire around it under the seat so I can hide it but if not a spare jump wire is a great idea!

Old 10-25-2022, 11:25 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I've never heard of this switch - was it an option on the 74 SD only?

Old 10-25-2022, 11:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Relays go bad, especially those in a more severe environment like under the hood of a car. I would think the relay would be a higher failure rate item than the switch, unless the interior of the car is damp (which I assume it isn't).

I will also venture a guess that a skilled electronics technician would be able to jumper the two pins on the back side of the relay with a wire so nobody would ever know.

The random failures with the wife were pretty funny. We live fairly close to major shopping centers, so I would get random calls that the car wouldn't start. I drive over, hop in, and the car would crank right up. I had replaced the transmission a few years earlier, so I initially suspected the ignition switch didn't think it was in park. Eventually it decided not to start for me. I didn't have time to work on it, so I drove something else. Then later that day, I came home and the car was gone, apparently starting for my wife. That's when I made a temporary jumper that fixed the problem, and has been in there ever since. I planned to solder a bypass wire on the back of the switch, but I forgot where I put the switch.

Old 10-25-2022, 11:32 AM
Senior Chief

Default Seat belt interlock relay

If you have the 1974 service manual go to 12-10 chassis electrical section through 12-20 you will see test and how to fix the system

Old 10-25-2022, 12:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They were 1974 only. The public hated these switches, so they luckily went away for 1975 vehicles.

Here is an interesting article on them.

https://www.allpar.com/threads/the-r...-saver.236643/

Old 10-25-2022, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbuzzo View Post
I've never heard of this switch - was it an option on the 74 SD only?
I'm not the guy to ask but I would think not since it's a safety item.

Old 10-25-2022, 04:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

fascinating...learning something everyday about my car here lol