Old 12-14-2022, 08:11 PM

Default '67 GTO - Heater Fan Switch Issue

Hi guys. I'm trying to get the heater fan to work on my '67 GTO. I tore into it today and found what I hope is the solution. See attached photos.

The first photo shows the blower switch with what looks to be a missing 12 volt feed. If I'm reading it right, my wiring diagram shows that the feed should be a brown wire.

The second wire shows a "loose" DOUBLE brown wire with a connector that looks like it'll snap into place on the blower switch.

Can someone advise me whether this double wire belongs on the switch?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fan Switch Dec 14, 2022.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	603584   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fan Wire Dec 14, 2022.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	603585  

Old 12-15-2022, 08:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My recollection is that is correct. A note regarding these switches... the second part of the controlling of the blower speed is the resistor that is mounted on the top of the air box inside the cabin. Sometimes that goes bad, so if the blower only works at one speed, that is the place to look. It looks just like the resistors pictured in old school books and its fairly obvious if it has broken.

Old 12-15-2022, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
My recollection is that is correct. A note regarding these switches... the second part of the controlling of the blower speed is the resistor that is mounted on the top of the air box inside the cabin. Sometimes that goes bad, so if the blower only works at one speed, that is the place to look. It looks just like the resistors pictured in old school books and its fairly obvious if it has broken.
Thank you Andre! I do have a new resistor and found its location too. In fact, along with the car, came a new fan switch, a new resistor a new heater core and a new (NOS) heater box. Based on your advice, I'll examine the old resistor upon removal, looking for a visual defect/failure in it.

I doubt I'll use the heater box on this job, but I'll install the new switch and the new resistor. My lingering question to myself as I continue on today is why the power feed to the blower switch was unconnected. I hope it was just an oversight on previous maintenance or that it fell off on its own. Wish me luck...

Old 12-15-2022, 12:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's an illustration from the service manual if it helps...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20221215_083813.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	603621  

Old 12-19-2022, 09:56 AM

Good morning all.

Checking in here to share that I've completed the heater fan repair and gauge cluster lens R&R with success. Let me just say that if you ever get the chance to remove the gauge cluster from your car...DON"T. I've done alot of jobs on alot of classic cars but this one was a real PITA .

My only niggling task is to figure out why, after reassembly, the courtesy lights are constant ON. I checked the ground wires at each door plunger switch and don't see where they've been inadvertently grounded. I suspect the 55 year old headlight switch didn't survive the job. I'll likely pick up a new one and hope that this is the needed fix.

Regards

The Following User Says Thank You to GTOh! For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2022, 12:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Don,

Check your lower dash center courtesy lamp above the console and make sure the socket isn't cocked in the holder and grounding out against the side of the bulb.

Grant

Old 12-22-2022, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 428ho4spd View Post
Don,

Check your lower dash center courtesy lamp above the console and make sure the socket isn't cocked in the holder and grounding out against the side of the bulb.

Grant
Thank you Grant. My car has the factory 8 track tape player, therefore, I have under-dash courtesy lights on the LH and RH side. I looked into your suggestion and found that the LH bulb was indeed cocked against the light's mounting bracket. Thanks to you and your advice, I'm all fixed. The dash is back together with the heater now functioning at 100% and the rally gauge cluster's lens is new. Even the AM radio and tape players work. Not even a squeak or rattle issue. I'm so happy!!!

Thanks again!

Old 12-22-2022, 04:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Great! I've had that one get me a few times over the years. Much nicer having the dual lamps with the 8-track option. Nice work!

Old 12-25-2022, 12:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have the dual courtesy lamps under my dash too. Far better than the single, seeing I have an aftermarket Kenwood radio mounted under the dash, in the radio's mounting case.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.