THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-28-2023, 07:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default World largest Ice Fishing contest

Did anyone make it to our fishing contest today. Was held on Gull Lake in Brainerd MN. 14,000 people showed up as far away as Australia.

Old 01-28-2023, 11:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow, that's amazing. I loved ice fishing when I was a kid and lived in a town north of here. They had the hut on runners that they would pull out onto the frozen lake with the snowmobiles.
Lake trout and spring trout are about the only fish that I like. Light, white, and fluffy. Catfish too I guess. But whatever you caught, just cooked in a pan out on the lake with just butter, salt and pepper. It doesn't get much better. The colder the better too. Who cares, you're dressed for it.

Old 01-29-2023, 11:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I always thought that the Eel Pout Festival on Leech Lake was the biggest. I've never attended either one, but as I don't actually care for fishing (regular or ice) all that much, that's not too surprising.

I will admit my last real fishing trip with a group of 10 coworkers to Flag Island Resort up at Lake of the Woods was a great time. Interesting itinerary - starting out in MN, we had to drive 60 miles through Canada so we could put our boats in to get to an island in MN so we could fish in Canada... It's a pretty remote area off the NW Angle of MN.

Old 01-29-2023, 11:56 AM

Saw last night that a 13 year old won the new Ford or GMC pickup with a 9+ pound Walleye.
Guess daddy gets a new truck.
Atleast he was from Minnesota.

Old 01-29-2023, 02:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, he picked the Ford. 100 place won a new Ice Castle probably worth about $30,000.