Old 01-29-2023, 12:39 PM

Default Brakes on '67 GTO

Hi all. Feeling like I didn't have as much stopping power as I thought I should have, I tested the brakes by running the car (4 wheel manual drums) up to about 25 MPH and then slamming on brakes. Two nice skid marks from the back wheels but nothing from fronts. I see a distribution block under the Z-bar. accordingly, no F/R adjustment.

Any advice on where to start? Previous owner did invest in brake lines, etc. I'm still trying to define the "etc".

Any advice is much appreciated.

Regards.
Don

Old 01-29-2023, 12:48 PM
Senior Chief

I would start by checking the front brake linings and adjusting the front brakes. The rears would lock up when these cars were new. Have you driven a car before with manual brakes? They require quite a bit of pedal force especially drums. People drive differently now and the need to plan ahead for braking is lost with new technology.

Old 01-29-2023, 09:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Slamming on the brakes pretty well takes out any worry about distribution percentages since a pedal to the metal slam should lock up all four wheels. Basically even if the rears only required 400 pounds pressure to lock up, a good slam should at least double that and the fronts should be locking up regardless. If you can't get fronts to lock up, then I'd be investigating a possible blockage.

You are correct in that there is only a distribution block since Pontiac adjusted front to rear bias with smaller brake cylinders in the rear along with narrower brake shoes.

Old 01-30-2023, 01:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Brake shoes are available with different friction characteristics. Might pay to get new shoes.

Old 01-30-2023, 11:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've always wanted to try the Muscle Car Brakes option but never had a chance, as our Tempest is in "storage". I've heard good things about them, though. Otherwise, you could convert to disc.

Old 01-30-2023, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66sprint6 View Post
I've always wanted to try the Muscle Car Brakes option but never had a chance, as our Tempest is in "storage". I've heard good things about them, though. Otherwise, you could convert to disc.
Thanks to all for the advice so far. I was/am suspicious of blockage in front lines but remain hopeful it's just either worn out front shoes or front shoes in need of adjustment. I've gotten one car out of my shop so I now have room and time to investigate GTO brakes.

I would love to convert to disc brakes but it's a very original (Arizona) car so I don't want to modify from factory/original.

Question for 66Sprint6 - what is "Muscle Car Brakes"? I GOOGLED the name and found a site. That site shows drum braking products but when I click on them, it says they're not available. In fact, nothing on the site looks to be available.

Regards,
Don

Old 01-30-2023, 02:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, I just checked and see that they don't appear to be in operation anymore. Unless they have another site. The one that pops up is not a regular website. Maybe someone else knows?

Old 01-30-2023, 02:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just found this:

https://www.musclecarbrakes.com/