Old 01-31-2023, 06:47 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post

I worked there in ‘73 after Royal left and had those reproduced through the original vendor with Juniors permission. Had 250 made and sold them in just a few months. The demand was strong even back then.

Old 01-31-2023, 08:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoovDaddy View Post
I worked there in ‘73 after Royal left and had those reproduced through the original vendor with Juniors permission. Had 250 made and sold them in just a few months. The demand was strong even back then.
Dad always said if Royal had really sold all the cars with Royal license plate frames on them they would still be dealer prepping 'em.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Keith Seymore For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2023, 09:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A friend was selling his dads 64 Lemans, I was over one day an made a comment about the Royal frame and he gave it to me. He was a Chevy guy, so it didn’t matter to him, before the forums, in the poci days, a guy in Ohio got wind I had it and begged me to sell it to him for months, One year at dream cruise, the Royal gang was camped out by 15 mile, wangers was there, I stopped by to shoot the sh!t and asked what the frame was worth, no one would comment lol. I sold it to the guy, I figured it should go on a Royal car, rather than hanging on the wall. wish I’d a kept it.
My 78 is from Jim Causley, I started a nice hoard of frames, key chains, glasses, glovebox envelopes from years of scouring the local swaps. The dealer moved out of Detroit and now is a Buick GMC dealership.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱

Last edited by burd; 01-31-2023 at 09:52 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to burd For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2023, 10:51 AM

Found a pair of original license plate frames so I could put them back on the car. Didn't touch them, just put them on for originality. They were both in pretty good shape with the original paint.

The rear kicker is to find an original door plate from the dealer, much like a dealer trunk bezel. Luckily, my car still retained its original door plate from the dealer.

Old 01-31-2023, 11:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The use of diecast license plate frames didn't seem to have been used much in the central part of the country, ESP, in the Plains states, high percentage of Texas, etc. In forty five years of "antennas up", an obscene amt of boneyarding, & surveying time capsule type "original" cars, as well as hauling in a crazy amt of parts cars & projects, a potmetal dealer emblem affixed to the back LH of the decklid was typical. Another means of dealer identification that evolved into use was the decal. The large local Ford dealership in the city I grew up in the mid to late 60's, along with typ all the used car lots used a similar thick chrome mylar type decal with black border & lettering. Had to be cheaper than the nice chrome pot metal dealer emblems.

Eventually, by the early 80's, began to see many script only type transfer dealership decals. On those, the dealer script was typically in off white, other times black, or maroon. Know my Dad, in his many years w GMAC, when he soecial ordered a new Pontiac for our family, he always asked the delivering dealer to not add any dealer emblems or decals. Same way on his company car. There were times, as a family we were traveling in the state in our family car, & we'd stop at one of "his dealers" on a Saturday morning. Dad just had a funny thing about not wanting to advertise on the car what new car dealership he'd took delivery of his new Pontiac (GP's, TransAms) or if we in the Chevy pickup.

Old 01-31-2023, 07:38 PM
Senior Chief

I am not sure when Jim Causley moved out to Clinton Township but my father in law used to get his Pontiacs there. I used to like Noonan Pontiac. I grew up a few miles from there and loved to go window shop when we would ride our bikes up there and look around. I met one of the parts guys there, 1978-1982, and I bought a ton of stuff for my 1971 GTO from them at a pretty good price. I bought my 1978 WS6 T/A 6.6 Gold T/A from their used car lot. Wish I still had that car.

Old 01-31-2023, 08:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid View Post
I got this idea several years ago from a friend of mine down in Oceanside, CA. He has a show winning ‘68 GTO and one day he was raving to me that he had just found a license plate frame that came from the dealership where his car was originally sold. I thought that was pretty cool idea and have since been on the hunt for one from Beranack Pontiac in Berwyn, IL. Haven’t found that one yet, but I did find one from the former local Pontiac dealer here in Reno where I currently live. I had to refurbish the paint but it turned out pretty nice. Just curious if anybody else is OCD enough with their Pontiacs to worry about such details, haha. Top photo is refurbished and bottom photo is how I bought it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's another on eBay, if you're looking. https://www.ebay.com/itm/114877106844
Or, a variant. https://www.ebay.com/itm/125609980168

Old 01-31-2023, 08:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's hard when you've been looking for years and you find out there are variants on the one you're looking for. And, then you find the golden photo and you have to go down a whole new path.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DolmanPontiacHawthorneLicense.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	606429  

Old 02-01-2023, 04:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

And I'm forever indebted to Held For Ransom (Mike) for alerting me to a Dolman Pontiac Plate on eBay and then standing down so I could successfully bid on it.

I still had both my original Dolman Pontiac frames and then one brain-dead day I pulled a little too far forward on my trailer and the front frame caught on the trailer rail and the frame exploded into a dozen pieces when I backed up a little.

If it wasn't for Mike's generosity I'd still be looking for a replacement.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	License frame.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	606432  

Old 02-01-2023, 07:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes it's been a thing for years. I've bought a couple over the years and have searched on and off for a couple others. I've also bought a couple of the metal dealer decals they used to stick on (decklids mainly) those are made of pot metal generally and hard to find in good shape.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 02-01-2023, 11:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by lust4speed View Post
And I'm forever indebted to Held For Ransom (Mike) for alerting me to a Dolman Pontiac Plate on eBay and then standing down so I could successfully bid on it.

I still had both my original Dolman Pontiac frames and then one brain-dead day I pulled a little too far forward on my trailer and the front frame caught on the trailer rail and the frame exploded into a dozen pieces when I backed up a little.

If it wasn't for Mike's generosity I'd still be looking for a replacement.
That's cool.

Well done, HFR.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 02-01-2023, 11:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I raced out of Bill Barry Pontiac in the early 60s but just cant get my self to spend like $325 for the one on ebay.Tom

The Following User Says Thank You to tom s For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2023, 04:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Get the repop
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3CD0E4FA-7009-40FB-A6F2-334B7526C210.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	606470  

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
The Following User Says Thank You to burd For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2023, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gto4ben View Post
License Plate frame restoration is on my back burner. It's a nice artifact since many of the dealers closed up shop.

Company
Company name LOUIS FRAHM PONTIAC, INC.
Address *
Status FTB SUSPENDED
Company number C0402386
Company type DOMESTIC STOCK
Jurisdiction CALIFORNIA
Incorporation Date 14th September 1960
Last Statement Filed 11th April 1990
Updated at 6th November 2018
Agent
Agent name MITCHEL L FRAHM
Agent address 7345 E FIRESTONE BLVD
DOWNEY CA 90241
My Meridian Turquoise 1968 GTO came from LOUIS FRAHM PONTIAC when new. It still had the plate frame on it with WEH 688 California black plates when I bought it from the original owner in Downey CA. in 1981.
I sold the plate frame and another, from GAY HOOD PONTIAC, RIVERSIDE CA. on ebay a few years ago.

Old 03-03-2023, 03:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Plare surrounds started heavily just after WW2. many were adorned with " Art" on the top as these were on a rear fender bulge or trunk with no clearance issues at all.
Oddly Some dealers really went all out on promotion, while others not so much.
One of my cars came from Young Pontiac in Escondido and there was a broken plate surround in the quarter panel. Finding another was easy. But my other car is from Stan Wisnes up in San Rafael, and that has proved to be hard to find. ..the way things are going I should be able to 3D print one someday.

Old 03-03-2023, 04:36 PM

I bought a repop from "Greasepit Graphics". Price was right, looks great & suits me just fine. It doesn't have the raised letters like the originals tho.

Old 03-03-2023, 05:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's a nice option considering some of them may never be found

It's ironic that link was posted because I had ordered a couple from them already.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
The Following User Says Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2023, 09:54 PM

Stephenson-Wilson was the Pontiac dealer in Durham, NC. They used the rivetted lettering on the left of the trunk lid. I've only seen one car with this installed. It was restored and I have since lost track of it (was in Sanford, NC). Still looking, though!

Old 03-03-2023, 10:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG68 View Post
I ran across this the other day. Not quite the same as original but not bad from a distance.

https://greasepitgraphics.com/product-tag/pontiac/

They have quite a few frames in stock (mostly California) but will custom make one for your dealer of choice.
After seeing this in January I went to the site and had one made for Majestic Pontiac in LA where my GTO was originally sold. He did a fantastic job on it.

Our local (and now defunct) Pontiac dealer never had frames that I could find. Mostly small plaques and decals like "ol Pinion head mentioned in post #25. As a result I contacted greasepitgraphics and had one made. An older neighbor (a retired mechanic) saw it and thought it was original so it works for me.

"No replacement for displacement!"

GTOAA--https://www.gtoaa.org/
The Following User Says Thank You to 1968GTO421 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2023, 11:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here’s a good link for Pontiac plate frames.

https://picclick.com/Popular/vintage...se-plate-frame

Most are on eBay but this makes it easier to find them. I’m looking for Barber Pontiac in Bakersfield. One with the Indian heads on each side of the dealer name. May get grease pit to make one. There’s a set without Indian heads on eBay now but I think I’ll wait for the one I want.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1ACAF1DA-C5AE-4386-8EDE-9F174B0E3A45.jpeg
Views:	82
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	608293