THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2023, 05:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default ruh roh...wheels of justice after "no hands" elon

https://www.autoblog.com/2023/01/31/...f-driving-car/

Old 01-31-2023, 05:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
6,000 GALLONS of water to extinguish this blaze.
From the news report: "It's worth noting that the vast majority of vehicle fires reported on American roads involve vehicles powered by internal combustion engines, not battery packs"

Old 01-31-2023, 06:02 PM

Yep. Once they catch fire its very hard to put out (assuming uts the battery that's burning).
But, what's far more important, is 1) they burn 1/6 as often as a gas/ diesel car, and 2) the fire starts much more slowly so occupants escape.

You're much safer in an electric car from a fire perspective. National Fire Protection Association stats.

Old 01-31-2023, 07:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Holy Tesla thread resurrection, Batman....

Tesla stock having it's problems - 52 week high was $385, 52 week low was $101 and current price is $173 per share.

Lot's of options for those that want an electric car today.

Old 02-01-2023, 09:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've started seeing these guys on the road; I'd really like to check one out!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lucid.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	606442  

Old 02-01-2023, 10:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've seen a few Lucids running around here too, along with some Rivians.

Old 02-01-2023, 01:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
From the news report: "It's worth noting that the vast majority of vehicle fires reported on American roads involve vehicles powered by internal combustion engines, not battery packs"
To be fair,,,the majority of the cars on the road are ICE. Nothing like having a little thermite fire between your legs.

Old 02-01-2023, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott70 View Post
To be fair,,,the majority of the cars on the road are ICE. Nothing like having a little thermite fire between your legs.
To be fair, the fire statistics I have seen are fires per 100,000 vehicles. For whatever reasons, ICE burn about 10 times as frequently as battery electric vehicles. Hybrids are even worse. I suppose because they have both systems to fail and it all crammed together.

Last edited by Nobuddy; 02-01-2023 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-01-2023, 03:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobuddy View Post
To be fair, the fire statistics I have seen are fires per 100,000 vehicles. For whatever reasons, ICE burn about 10 times as frequently as battery electric vehicles. Hybrids are even worse. I suppose because they have both systems to fail and it all crammed together.
But what if you take Kias out of the equation?

Old 02-01-2023, 07:30 PM
Senior Chief

I would imagine the ICE vehicles that catch fire are older, with less than stellar maintenance records and there are a lot more ICE vehicles than EV's. You don't want to be around a battery fire. They are not fun and as previously stated, take a very large amount of water to extinguish. 1000's of gallons.

Old 02-01-2023, 08:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobuddy View Post
To be fair, what is the total amount of damage on an ICE vehicle vs an EV?

Many ICE fires be put out with a simple fire extinguisher.

Basically, talking about an ICE car fire vs an EV car fire is like comparing apples and oranges.

Old 02-02-2023, 01:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
To be fair, what is the total amount of damage on an ICE vehicle vs an EV?

Many ICE fires be put out with a simple fire extinguisher.

Basically, talking about an ICE car fire vs an EV car fire is like comparing apples and oranges.
Actually when the secret service turned in their rentals on Martha’s Vineyard one burned itself to the ground and 4 surrounding cars z it was an ICE vehicle .
That’s NOT yo say I dint worry about my telsa burning my house down more than I did my ICE cars. I DO. But it’s mainly because it’s new tech and not as well tested over. Along haul

I will say having owned both my Tesla destroys every car I’ve ever owned . On just about every front. It’s. A model X plaid and it runs 10 flat. Right from the factory . Love my Pontiacs and my hellcats but after driving the Tesla all but my turbocharged 455 69 firebird feels like a chevette . And my turbocharged 69 is like a race car and my Tesla I can take anywhere like. Regular car or drive it on long trips etc.

There may be OTHER EVs for choices but there’s only 1 original that changed everything forever and that’ll always be Tesla . Everything else is just a copy. Elon was the inovator even though there had been electrics before that market was dead and he brought it all raging back .
If I’m buying a EV it’s gonna be a Tesla.
If you haven’t driven a model X or model S plaid go drive one however you need to do it it’s well worth it.

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
Old 02-02-2023, 03:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If I was rich'ish I'd try one for sure. One reason I would is that Musk is just crazy enough to actually care how his car works. Yeah he wants to make money, everyone does ... but it's kind of like buying a Ford from Henry Ford .. when he cared about how well they worked. Like Henry ... Elon pioneered a lot of new technology and processes with his company.
At this point EVs are an option, not a solution.

Old 02-03-2023, 09:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
If I was rich'ish I'd try one for sure. One reason I would is that Musk is just crazy enough to actually care how his car works. Yeah he wants to make money, everyone does ... but it's kind of like buying a Ford from Henry Ford .. when he cared about how well they worked. Like Henry ... Elon pioneered a lot of new technology and processes with his company.
At this point EVs are an option, not a solution.
Thats right,,,a option. Which is fine,,if you want a EV then good for you. Im not interested,,dont care if it went so fast it took flight. Until further improvements they are not practical for towing,cold weather,long distances,etc to ME. Just dont try to cram EVs down our throats and say thats the only option. If I won the lottery a EV still wouldnt be on my list. Id buy a hybrid first.

The Following User Says Thank You to scott70 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2023, 02:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott70 View Post
Thats right,,,a option. Which is fine,,if you want a EV then good for you. Im not interested,,dont care if it went so fast it took flight. Until further improvements they are not practical for towing,cold weather,long distances,etc to ME. Just dont try to cram EVs down our throats and say thats the only option. If I won the lottery a EV still wouldnt be on my list. Id buy a hybrid first.
I absolutely agree 100% they shouldn’t be crammed down your or my or anyone’s throats. F them for doing that .

BUT they are relaible and viable for all those oops you mentioned except towing heavy loads

My car does pretty well still in cold weather. In fact il test it today w wind chill in the negatives . I’d say it eats more battery for sure but still gets me where I want to go. 330 miles on regukar weather , I’d plan for half that on super cold days but just like anything else there’s charging stations you just have to plan . I’d say it’s equivalent to driving a diesel and knowing where diesel stations are located. Most police stations will allow you to charge these days

It’s an amazing car . But agree no one should be forced into it. If it’s so good you shouldn’t hav ego be and they are NOT GREEN the rare earth minerals mining and the build of the car take 25 years to pay off in carbon footprint. Anyone says differnt they are lying.

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
Old 02-04-2023, 04:30 AM
Suspended

I would imagine the ICE vehicles that catch fire are older, with less than stellar maintenance records and there are a lot more ICE vehicles than EV's.

Old 02-04-2023, 11:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo69bird View Post
My car does pretty well still in cold weather. In fact il test it today w wind chill in the negatives .
A car doesn't react to "wind chill", only to air temps.

A car isn't human, no matter how much "artificial intelligence" it has.

Old 02-16-2023, 05:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default recall...better L8 than never...

https://www.autoblog.com/2023/02/16/...ficial-recall/

Old 02-17-2023, 10:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

"The word 'recall' for an over-the-air software update is anachronistic and just flat wrong," Musk tweeted.

The NHTSA defines recall as:

"A recall is issued when a manufacturer or NHTSA determines that a vehicle, equipment, car seat, or tire creates an unreasonable safety risk or fails to meet minimum safety standards."

I don't see anything in that wording that says how a manufacturer corrects the unreasonable safety risk.

Musk is a brilliant individual in many ways. But ego can be a problem. His word salad response is trying to deflect from the fact that Tesla screwed up.

Old 02-17-2023, 01:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

He is getting sued by everyone and their dog for all the autopilot mishaps.

He won't admit it's flawed or even beta 1.0 but backed into a corner.

Closed Thread