THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2020, 04:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There are a number of Tesla supercharger locations spread around major routes in Minnesota, there's a map on their website showing their locations. A person could get to most parts of the state without issue, except for maybe the extreme north part of the state around International Falls.

You're right that it's the long range model S that has a near 400 mile claimed range, others are less.

However, all this is not the point. Like mback12000 said above, a Tesla (or any EV for that matter) isn't for everyone, and no one is saying people have to buy one. If you find yourself making long distance trips often, particularly in areas where chargers aren't available, they're not for you. There's nothing wrong with that.

Old 06-24-2020, 05:54 PM

This fact many people miss is that EVs are not generally charged like a gas tank is filled. You typically don't wait till your battery is empty to plug it in. More like your phone, you plug in it every night regardless of what the "tank" is. And so for most people, most of the time, your battery is full every day when you leave for work. Is your gas car like that? I used words like "generally, typically, and most" because the statistics are clear on car usage - the vast majority of us drive short distances the overwhelming percentage of time. So the situation of needing to find a charger on the road during a 400 mile drive is a rare exception. If you're that exception, it's not for you.

BTW, you obviously need a convenient place to charge at home. If you have a garage or driveway, it takes about 10 seconds to plug in and charges while you sleep. Most owners spend less time charging an EV than refueling a gas car.

Old 06-24-2020, 07:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
There are a number of Tesla supercharger locations spread around major routes in Minnesota, there's a map on their website showing their locations. A person could get to most parts of the state without issue, except for maybe the extreme north part of the state around International Falls.
When you say major routes, for the most part, you mean the interstates.

Interstates don't go to many parts of MN. And remember - per EV Insiders, most Tesla's can't make it 250 miles without a recharge.

I'm from Hibbing, MN (100 miles SOUTH of International Falls). If I wanted to go to Glacier National Park (like I did when I went to the National Boy Scout Jamboree in 1969) - the shortest and fastest way to get there is Hwy 2.

There isn't a supercharger in Hibbing, there is one in Grand Rapids (only 2 chargers) and then there isn't another one until you get to Glacier - which is over 1000 miles from Grand Rapids.

I currently live near Rochester (which has one super charger location).

If I want to take Hwy 63 south - I don't find a supercharger until I get to Kirksville, MO - 300+miles away (only 2 chargers).

But let's say I wanted to visit my buddy Radar O'Reilly (MASH) in Ottuma, IA - It's 240 miles one way and I can't make it back to Rochester, so I need to drive 120 miles out of my way to Kirksville (roundtrip, assuming I can make it to Kirksville) to get to a supercharger so I can make it home, hopefully....

North on 63 - I won't find a supercharger on my way to Ashland, WI at all. Once I get to Ashland (240 miles one way), I either need to drive 70 miles west on Hwy 2 to Duluth (140 miles roundtrip) or drive 210 miles east on Hwy 2 to Escanaba, MI (420 miles roundtrip).

Interstates aren't the only places that take people where they want to go.

Tesla has a decent product. They are fast. But they still don't have the infrastructure to support their charging needs (if you want to use a supercharger) unless you only use the interstate system.

And assuming you find one that isn't being used, it's 75 minutes to "fill up".

Old 06-24-2020, 08:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There are many, many reasons to NOT buy an EV or even a hybrid for that matter. But having choices is a great thing and will actually help keep a lid on gas prices. If they really catch on, which is doubtful, expect electric rates to surge for grid updates and the like. When I get in a vehicle, I don't like to be overwhelmed by the technology and feel like you have to hold a degree in computer science to pick up a couple groceries at the store. Some people love that. That's fine for them. I also understand that the weak electronics in the EV's, Tesla included, will be the first thing that dies and leaves you stranded on the side of the road helpless. When a refrigerator, range, dishwasher or microwave is lucky to last 5 years, why would someone assume an electronic car would be any better? It's the same cheap, crap electronics, mostly made in China. Repairs will be astronomical as these cars age. Everyone is so worried about the batteries, but other major components such as the motors, controllers, inverters, and cooling systems are each thousands of dollars just for the components. If you mostly drive in a 50 mile radius of home, buy new or lease and keep it 3-5 years, an EV may be a very good deal.

Old 06-24-2020, 08:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
When you say major routes, for the most part, you mean the interstates.
That's why I said most parts of the state, and not all parts of the state.

But again, that's not the point. If a person wants to drive hundreds of miles at a time, particularly in more rural parts of the country, an electric vehicle is not for them. No one is denying that.

Old 06-25-2020, 07:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
That's why I said most parts of the state, and not all parts of the state.
Let me remind you what you previously posted and I quoted:

Quote:
A person could get to most parts of the state without issue, except for maybe the extreme north part of the state around International Falls.
You have one (1) north/south Interstate (35) that is mostly on the extreme east side of the state that only gets to Duluth, 1 true east/west Interstate (90) that runs about 30 miles north of the Iowa border in extreme southern MN, and then 1 northwest/southeast (94) that runs from the Twin Cities to Moorhead.

From Duluth to International Falls is 160+ miles - with no Interstate highway. From Moorhead to the Canadian border is 190+ miles

The total void of Interstates between I94 and I35 between Duluth and Moorhead represents about 60% of the state, so it's far from the "extreme north part of the state".

And let's not forget - if you want to go from the Twin Cities due west on US 12 - no Interstate system once you leave the metro area - all 180+ miles to Ortonville. How about Rochester due west on Hwy 14 through Mankato, New Ulm, Walnut Grove and on to the SD border - no Interstate system for 225+ miles.

Just look at the map of MN and see how much of the state has no Interstate system available for normal travel plans...

Not all of MN lives in the Twin Cities.

Old 06-25-2020, 09:28 AM

Isn't this a Pontiac forum ?
Maybe post this stuff on a coal powered forum somewhere ?
Or a ' I don't like to drive my GTO anymore ' forum ?
Or a ' I can't wait til the government dictates when and where I can use my autonomous transportation module ' forum ?

Old 06-25-2020, 09:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

In central California, the Walmarts are getting EV charging stations. IDK what the 'standard' is for an EV charger, but I believe there is some kind of standard because I've seen cars listed as having Level 2 or Level 3 chargers- Even Harley's Live Wire has a standardized charging system.
If Tesla is smart(and I'm sure Elon is VERY smart), their cars have an adapter to charge at any outlet from a 110V wall source, to a solar panel charging station, to a Walmart EV station, to a Tesla Supercharger.
One other note- I encountered a Tesla about 5 years ago. It was an early morning, I was on my way to work. I was riding my '03 Harley Nightrain (VERY hopped up engine), so I was fairly confident that I could outrun whatever that was in front of me- NOPE!!! Holy $h!T did that car accelerate!! I was dumbfounded by how fast it was!

Old 06-25-2020, 10:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
Let me remind you what you previously posted and I quoted:.
I don't know why you're so bound and determined to start a fight over minutiae, but I'm not taking the bait.

Old 06-25-2020, 01:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I don't know why you're so bound and determined to start a fight over minutiae, but I'm not taking the bait.
If it were "minutiae", I wouldn't be posting on this.

Like most people in the Twin Cities - you believe that anything north of the Twin Cities is "the extreme north".

The world does not revolve around the Twin Cities.

Old 06-25-2020, 01:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
There are many, many reasons to NOT buy an EV or even a hybrid for that matter. But having choices is a great thing and will actually help keep a lid on gas prices. If they really catch on, which is doubtful, expect electric rates to surge for grid updates and the like. When I get in a vehicle, I don't like to be overwhelmed by the technology and feel like you have to hold a degree in computer science to pick up a couple groceries at the store. Some people love that. That's fine for them. I also understand that the weak electronics in the EV's, Tesla included, will be the first thing that dies and leaves you stranded on the side of the road helpless. When a refrigerator, range, dishwasher or microwave is lucky to last 5 years, why would someone assume an electronic car would be any better? It's the same cheap, crap electronics, mostly made in China. Repairs will be astronomical as these cars age. Everyone is so worried about the batteries, but other major components such as the motors, controllers, inverters, and cooling systems are each thousands of dollars just for the components. If you mostly drive in a 50 mile radius of home, buy new or lease and keep it 3-5 years, an EV may be a very good deal.
I agree, 100 percent

Old 07-21-2020, 07:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Blum View Post
Why not have both? And they were both built in the same plant in Fremont. Long trips are not a problem. We have gone from So Cal to Dallas a couple time. Just have to stop 3 time a day. 20 minutes in the morning, 1 hour for lunch and 20 minutes in the afternoon.
+1; I have both. Driving the 1st or 2nd quickest car made in USA and having a 65 GTO to me is the perfect combo. For all the people who think Tesla ( 100% USA made ) is expensive, my M3 performance ( 310 range ) cost $55k;

Less than most of your pickup trucks;

2016 Chevy SS; Sold
2001 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
2008 Infiniti G35x
Old 07-21-2020, 07:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobahn View Post
THEN GO ON A 300 MILE TRIP WITH YOUR tESLA and have someone drive your GTO,, GTO gets there in 5-6 hours,tesla gets there in 17-19 hours with battery recharge YEP thats the way!!!!
Huh ? latest tesla is 400+ range; I regularly get 275 spirited driving in summer.

Don't confuse some Nissan Leaf with a Tesla long range.

2016 Chevy SS; Sold
2001 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
2008 Infiniti G35x
Old 07-21-2020, 10:31 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

How is it that these cars don’t have solar panels on the roof yet? Constantly recharging while you are driving cross country?

I’m sure there is a reason as this sounds like a simple thing for someone like Elon to figure out

Old 07-21-2020, 11:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

^

Solar panels wouldn't generate enough energy to justify the cost or the very few miles it would add to the range.

Old 07-21-2020, 11:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Not a dumb question at all.
Solar panels wouldn't even be a rounding error in the amount of power these vehicles store in the battery. Eventually there will be magnetic contactless charging strips in highways like modern toothbrush / cell phone chargers.

This is a good summary of what the current approach people use for charging. Pre-Covid, I drive 125 miles a day;

Interesting article that I agree with. Reminds me of the early days of cell phone charging or laptop; Now, people only seek long deep charges at most daily; Not the hourly slurps in the early days;

Most EV Charging Infrastructure Is Wasted Due To Lack Of New Thinking
https://www.forbes.com/sites/bradtem.../#7647fdf1195e

Most charging is done in people's homes. The other three places charging works are:

At hotels (or other places you stay the night.)
At workplaces where people park all day, especially for those who can't charge at home
High speed charging for special long trips

2016 Chevy SS; Sold
2001 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
2008 Infiniti G35x
Old 07-21-2020, 12:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Zero issues; 17k miles so far. I'm not a tree hugger in any way by the way. It makes me frustrated that so many of the other mfg don't do more with the s/w and customization. The performance / auto pilot stuff is one side, but alot of it is just people getting jazzed with having personal settings, auto AC/ heat on/off in parking lots, cameras, and iphone type of stuff customized. Which I like, but Chevy could do this with pickup trucks or anyone could.

I test drove on a tues. Paid with iphone $2500 deposit and drove it home on a Thurs. No drama. Never been back or spoke with dealer. Only fluid exposed in car is windshield washer.

The one game changer that I would miss in 5 minutes is 1 foot driving.

Youtube is your friend.

2016 Chevy SS; Sold
2001 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
2008 Infiniti G35x
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Doran For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2020, 01:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Doran View Post

Most charging is done in people's homes. The other three places charging works are:

At hotels (or other places you stay the night.)
At workplaces where people park all day, especially for those who can't charge at home
High speed charging for special long trips
Chargers at workplaces are getting more and more common. They added a row of them in my office parking garage a year or two ago and they're pretty much always occupied.

Old 07-21-2020, 07:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Ford is having some serious fun with their EV....
https://youtu.be/Y3846KFDmFQ

Old 07-21-2020, 10:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Great Video. Would luv it if my tesla had that kind of a sound 'switch' !

2016 Chevy SS; Sold
2001 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
2008 Infiniti G35x
Closed Thread