THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 07-01-2022, 08:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
Based on $44.00 for 330 miles in Kansas City - that equates to about 9.6 gallons of gas (based on gas at $4.60 per gallon in the KC area) - or about 34.4 MPG. Is that $44.00 based on charging at home?

Last year, in my 2019 Chevy Equinox, I drove from SE, MN to O'Fallon, MO on my way to the NASCAR Nashville Super Speedway on one tank of gas (about 500 miles and averaged 35.2 MPG and it cost me about $42.00 to fill up. Without the dramatic increase in gas prices over the last year (about $3.00 per gallon vs $4.60 in KC), it appears my Equinox is more energy efficient than a Tesla Model X Plaid. And I didn't have to go search for a place to recharge somewhere in the middle of nowhere in Iowa on the way. It only took 5 minutes to fill my tank and I continued on my way to St. Louis where we spent the night (had a wonderful dinner at Ruth Chris Steak House by the Arch).

No, my Equinox is not as fast a Model X, but for most people (not necessarily you), the reason to go electric is to be green and to theoretically save money. Of course, my Chevy Equinox Premier was well over $100,000 less than your Model X Plaid. I just traded in my 2019 yesterday and purchased an identically equipped 2022 Equinox and only had to write a check for less than $9,000 (including tax, title and license) after 4 years and 42,000 miles.

I have no experience with recharging an electric vehicle while traveling, but I've heard that many of the commercial recharge centers is much more expensive than charging at home and can't be done in 5 minutes.
Champ, look up the WSJ article on driving from Chicago to New Orleans in an EV. It only took four DAYS…

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 07-02-2022, 12:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Does it sound like the Rav4 in this video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvX7NnlhiOE
Sounds like a seizing alternator or water pump.

I wonder how they settled on such a strange sound?

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 07-02-2022, 08:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
Champ, look up the WSJ article on driving from Chicago to New Orleans in an EV. It only took four DAYS…
I saw that already. For folks that don't travel outside of major metropolitan areas, an electric car might be a good deal.

For those of us that actually drive around in rural America, the charging network is woefully insufficient.

And based on 2% market penetration, there is no justification to spend government money to bolster the charging network at this time.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Champ For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2023, 06:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Yoda fighting back the FUD...

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/autos/news...D?ocid=BingHPC