Old 12-26-2022, 06:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 68 vs 69 Hideaway Headlight setup

Folks,

I recently gathered up all of the the parts to convert my 68 Wagon to a hideaway headlight setup with the factory type vacuum actuators. I looked at the electric conversion setups, but never game them serious thought due to the cost. The kits that are popular from several sources are the ones below. I am curious about something. I noticed that the electric conversion setup in the link below for 68 GTOs is noted as NOT being able to work on an AC car. Moreover, the 69 electric hideaway conversion has different bracketry and doesn't say anything about not working with an AC car. Note that there are pictures of the actuators and brackets in the links. If you compare the two, you will see that the 68 electric actuators and brackets are reversed for opening and closing as compared to the 69.

This leads me to believe that the deeper grills in the 68 require mounting the electric actuators further inboard and would then interfere with the condensor. Is that correct? If so, is it also correct that I won't have a problem putting in my factory type vacuum actuated system even in my 68 though my car has A/C?

Thanks
Old Joe

68 Electric Hideaway Headlight Conversion
https://retro-electro.net/productGTO.html

69 Electric Hideaway Headlight Conversion
https://retro-electro.net/productGTO69.html

68 GTO Clone (Tempest) Wagon
Old 12-26-2022, 06:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I know on my 68 there is plenty of clearance between all the hideaway components and the condenser when using all OEM parts.

Looks like you are exactly right about the grills, they have to tilt the actuator backwards to clear the grill and it would hit the condenser.

Never understood why those electric systems used such over powered actuators. Could easily open the doors with a smallish servo motor, or even using super affordable electric window motors (although both these solutions would require some weather proofing)

Old 12-26-2022, 10:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

https://dicksterssmartpants.com/store/