Old 12-31-2022, 05:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Question on rear quarter windows for post coupe

I snagged the rear quarter windows out of the shed today to clean them up and get ready to install into my '66 post coupe. When looking at them, I noticed that the forward metal strips on each window are misaligned with the glass edges and also positioned at different heights.

Are the metal parts supposed to be positioned so they line up evenly with the edge of the glass? If so, any tips for removing and reinstalling them?

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 12-31-2022, 11:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Did you get your car together ,and drive it this summer/ fall ?

Old 01-01-2023, 01:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just checked my Tempest, they're both flush with the top.
FWIW, hardtop quarter glass also uses a piece of brightwork

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...d.php?t=784341

Old 01-01-2023, 12:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSLCAH View Post
Did you get your car together ,and drive it this summer/ fall ?
Ha! No... That timeline was wishful thinking on my part. It's taking me a while to get through all the fiddly little things. I am still working on it every week though, and it's running, driving, steering, and stopping now. I was able to take it for a low-speed drive around the block about a month ago, just fast enough to confirm that the trans would go into all gears. Engine & trans work great, and there are ZERO leaks anywhere (a feat I'm rather proud of ). Still lots of work left to do, but realistically I'm targeting getting back on the road this spring or early summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 242177P View Post
Just checked my Tempest, they're both flush with the top.
FWIW, hardtop quarter glass also uses a piece of brightwork

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...d.php?t=784341
Thanks! Being flush with the edge of the glass certainly makes sense to my mind, so I'm glad you were able to confirm it. Having read the thread you posted, it looks like Ames sells rubber "tape" in two thicknesses to install the metal onto the glass, so I'll order some of it.

One of the issues I was facing with this task is that my rear quarter windows never worked correctly before I took the car apart, so I never knew how they were supposed to attach to the forward channel of the body or articulate when rolling them down. They just kinda fell into the body before, so I always left them rolled up. Now that I am putting everything back together, I realize that plastic guide is suppose to slot into the forward channel and the glass is supposed to pivot from that plastic guide at the top as you roll the window down. By design, it seems like that puts a lot of strain on the plastic guides, so I probably won't want to risk breaking them by using the rear windows when the car is all back together anyway.

Last edited by ZeGermanHam; 01-01-2023 at 01:03 PM.
Old 01-02-2023, 10:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Have you tried to "tap" them lightly to see if they'll move? I had to reattach one of mine and I used some kind of epoxy. Of course I don't sit in the back and don't roll those windows down, but they definitely do work properly.

Old 01-03-2023, 02:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've not tried to remove them yet because I wasn't sure whether the factory glued them and I didn't want to risk breaking them. But it sounds like they are just press-fit onto the glass, so I'll remove & reposition them once I get the rubber from Ames.

Old 01-03-2023, 09:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Since they seem to have moved already(on their own?) I would try to move them before removing them.

Old 01-18-2023, 04:13 PM

I had that same problem with my rear glass. I held the glass wrapped in a towel and tapped on the end of the metal with a plastic hammer till it moved back in place.