67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 01-07-2023, 04:29 PM
Senior Chief

Default 69 Dash Pad Removal

Need to remove my dash pad to take it to my upholsterer for repair. I have removed the two nuts from the studs that are accessible with the glove box insert removed. I also have removed the 6 or so screws holding the front of the dash pad and I see the two push pins on either lower sides. That leaves the two nuts above the dash carrier. I'm assuming the dash carrier has to come out somewhat to access these two nuts. My question is what needs to be removed to remove the dash carrier? I'm assuming the nuts holding the headlight switch, the radio knob nuts and the lighter assembly. And I see a few screws at the bottom of the carrier and probably lower the steering column. What else needs to be removed. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-07-2023, 06:39 PM
Senior Chief

I see a GTO pic, but you are asking in the Firebird group, '69 Bird right?

You'll need to remove the carrier to get the LH dash pad nuts off. Remove the lower column cover and drop the column. Remove all the upper and lower carrier screws and ash tray. There is a nut on the back of the carrier between the radio and glove box. Remove the radio. Without A/C you might be able to get your hand up the LH side to push in the headlight knob release button. If not, pull the headlight knob out and unscrew the retaining nut, this will allow the carrier to come out far enough to get your hand to the button. Unplug the wiper switch and remove power top switch if you have one. Disconnect the speedo cable and inst cluster connector. I would unscrew the heater control from behind and leave the cables connected. You should be able to get the carrier out with the gauges attached. If not there are 6 screws holding the cluster to the carrier. Remove the windshield pillar trims. If the dash pad is original it might be stuck to the steel pretty good and will need gentle prying to break it loose.

Old 01-07-2023, 06:57 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks for the info guys. Looks like another back breaking experience under my dash. It's an non A/C car btw.

Yeah, I just recently picked up the 69 Firebird, haven't had time to add any pics to my signature. I still the 68 GTO.

Old 01-09-2023, 08:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Little tidbit, the 69 Firebird switch knob has a unique part number (compared to the other 69 Pontiac's) because it is designed that the knob is designed to pull off from the knob shaft to get the carrier off without needing to try to reach up to the release button from below (almost impossible). Instead of being permanently press-fit into a knurled shaft there is a spring steel thingy in the knob that grabs the shaft knurls. You just pull very firmly on the knob and it will pop off the shaft. This is of course assuming your car has the original knob-shaft which you can't tell when installed. The repro knob sold everywhere is the standard pontiac knob and does not have this pull-apart feature.

1969 LeMans Safari 2 seat Wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 Hardtops & Judge Hardtop)
1969 Catalina (3 Cvt’s & a 2dr hardtop)
1969 Ventura 2 Seat Wagon
1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
1969 Bonnie 3 Seat Wagon (2 of them)
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr Hardtop & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix SJ (2 of them)
1969 2+2 2dr Hardtop (Canadian model)
Old 01-10-2023, 04:54 PM

After all these years I did not know that. I've cut, jammed, tweaked fingers raw trying to get that button pushed in to release that light switch rod n knob. I'll check my spare parts and see if that works.