Old 01-29-2023, 01:45 AM

Default trying to put a fair pricceon a a car, please help?

i have my eye on a 69 lemans convertible that has a 6 cylinder motor that was turned into the sprint with the 4 barrlel'

the car is in very very very good condition.

i would just like to know how i could figure out what a fair price would be.
any help is appreciated

thanks

Old 01-29-2023, 12:46 PM
Senior Chief

I average 3 price guides to value a car to buy or sell. CollectorCarMarket, Caaarguide, and Hagerty are my current choices. These are mostly based on past or recent auction sales. Hagerty will be inflated so you need other values to come down closer to reality. They sell insurance, so high values are in their best interest. Hagerty is useful though especially to see the value trend of a vehicle over a span of time.

In reality, most "very, very, very," nice cars fall somewhere within the #2 and #3 condition range, most vehicles are closer to #3 regardles of what their owners may think. I'll average the the 3 values to get a fair selling price or buying price, and adjusting high or low depending on various condition factors. Sight unseen and using your description I find the LeMans to be worth around $21k. It's all subjective with old cars though, lots of factors can alter the personal connection or value and adjust the price you are willing to pay.

Old 01-29-2023, 02:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is that Rolland's old car? BUY IT !
Should you pass, PM me.

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
Old 01-29-2023, 02:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Being a Conv, and a LeMans, the OHC-6 with 4bbl help, rather than hinders the value. Auto or stick is in the thigh of the beer holder.

Old 01-29-2023, 04:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I would say 25-28k.

I have a nice survivor 68 LeMans convertible 350 car and I wouldn’t let it go for less than 25. I don’t think the ohc sprint motor hurts the value- it’s probably a blast to drive with the 4 barrel.

Old 01-29-2023, 04:15 PM

who is rolland?

Old 01-29-2023, 09:46 PM

i found out some more about this car.

it was not a sprint option to begin with, it got the intake and exhaust and carb later but is still the original head, although it was rebuilt.

the car was restored in the early 1980s. from what i can gather, it was a rust bucket, so most of the sheet metal is not original.

i think it was put together by amateurs, the gaps arent anything close to what they should be.

the chrome isnt perfect, tiny black spots here and there, not pitted at all, but certainly not anthing close to "show" condition. maybe a local show, but thats it.

the inside of the car is all moldy from sitting, but is in decent shape and could be cleaned up.

i noticed some palatic pieces were cracked, and all the dash lights arent working.

the top looked nice, but i didnt see it in the down position, dont know if the automatic works, i can guess that it does. i would actually rather have a manual up and down, less to worry about,
having said all this, its still a really nice car and i would love to have it.

the owner showed me this price guide, which is for a V8.

he mentioned a price to the right of this chart, which to me doesnt seem anything based on reality.

the owner just threw the number out, maybe he was hoping i was a rich idiot>? he seemed like a nice guy, and said he was open to offers. I told him i would look into a fair price.

using the chart he showed me, i would place ths car somewhere between the $15,300 and the 23,800, only because i like it.

i know i will want to sell it sooner or later, i really want a manual shift car, but this could tide me over for a while. and the lady could drive this too. so i dont want to lose my shirt overpaying

i would love to buy the car, at a fair price, so what say the experts now that i have a better idea of what the car is?

i wish i took some pictures, but it was inside and there wasn't a lot of room.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	values.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	606317