Old 04-09-2002, 06:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I wonder why the "SR" was installed?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1818755578

69 Gto, 390 posi gears,th400 w/jim hand converter/406 pontiac/#64 HEADS/ 10:1 compression/ 190 PSI with/ TRW 160 thou domes / hooker headers 1 7/8, PRW 1.5 rockers, 405 Crower Springs, Holley 750 vac with proform upgrade, Performer RPM on points / 284 H Single Pattern Crane
Old 04-09-2002, 06:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I wonder why the "SR" was installed?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1818755578

69 Gto, 390 posi gears,th400 w/jim hand converter/406 pontiac/#64 HEADS/ 10:1 compression/ 190 PSI with/ TRW 160 thou domes / hooker headers 1 7/8, PRW 1.5 rockers, 405 Crower Springs, Holley 750 vac with proform upgrade, Performer RPM on points / 284 H Single Pattern Crane
Old 04-10-2002, 07:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I didn't think that they painted the scoops black until 70? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Old 04-10-2002, 12:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yah that was the only thing I found and the gas tank looked like some leakage from storage or something. What a beautiful car none the less, like he said it's not perfect but wow!

Old 04-10-2002, 01:26 PM
On Vacation

It has a lot of potential to be a nice car, but its still has a long way to go. The bidding is up to nearly $25,000 and the reserve hasn't been met. Just from the pictures I'm guessing that it will need and least $10K to $15K+ in restoration costs. According to NADA the auto trans. cuts the value by 15% compared to a 4 speed. Is this guy trying to say it has 50K miles, or is that a smoke screen? This car looks like its been "rode hard and put up wet". Does anybody think that this car when completely restored would be worth $40K to $45K? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Old 04-10-2002, 05:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Some good points there, by long way, what do you mean exactly? Just asking here so I know what your getting from the pics.

Paint looks good, engine looks good, appears to be numbers matching, the same type of gto but 4 speed went for $35k. (http://www.barrett-jackson.com/aucti....asp?id=170527) [ although barrett jackson looks into the car more than just build sheets I assume ]

The 50k thing has me going to, I noticed that. IT didn't quite mention it was for sure 50k but could very well be. I assume sometimes the seller just may not know period. Where does one draw the line, you draw it at the reserve.

How can you tell it's been driven hard, just by the "50k" type thing? I'm not sure what car of that stature wouldn't be driven hard as well as that gtx-lol.

I think the car is worth it if all is in line with the BJ auction house selling price.

Assuming this gto went through the same "appraisal as the BJ auction did"

Your comments? I'm curious.

Old 04-10-2002, 08:51 PM
On Vacation

You obviously haven't been to a Barrett Jackson auction. The cars that are sold there are usually totally restored vehicles. Condition is everything. The Pontiac's that have sold at BJ for more than $30K have all been recently restored vehicles. This car looks like a everyday driver, that hasn't been shown very good care. The engine compartment shows neglect, but the underside show down right abuse. I'd bet a buck that the car also needs a paint job. A quality paint job, properly blocked and sanded is going to run $6000 to $8000. Having a SR block doesn't add to the value.

The seller is probably a guy just wanting to make a quick profit on both of these cars. Don't let me talk you out of bidding...if its worth it to you, go for it. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-10-2002, 09:01 PM
Senior Chief

It probably doesn't have much more than 50k you would have to see the car in person to tell but if the paint is original I would tend to belive the 50k the other thing is the picture of the rear wheel well you can see the factory spot welds and if a car of that vintage had seen any Calgary winters in its life that panel would be gone do to rust or rust repair I would think it would be worth 30,000-35,000 you only have 58 auto RA IV judges to choose from and how many are left? The SR was probably installed because someone had a heavy foot on a friday night downtown Calgary

Old 04-10-2002, 09:21 PM
Senior Chief

I don't belive its neglect rather someone who for whatever reason is no longer interested in old cars if I had that judge for 3 weeks it would look entirely different it just needs some TLC

Old 04-11-2002, 12:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The guy could at least clean the engine compartment and rid it of the "flash rusting".This guy has no clue how to market a car.How about an interior shot or two.As for the SR block,the original went kaboom.All the best bigpop

Old 04-11-2002, 01:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Glenn - > K yah I haven't been to BJ personally. I'm not interested in buying that GTO, just proud that vehicle resides in my home town. I spoke with the owner via email, I think he's just seeing what it could fetch. He just doesn't want the matching # vehicles any more.

Now condition, a good paint job up her in Canada is around 6k Canadian not 6-8k US and this neglect under the car? A clean up & repaint of the gas tank is all that seems underneath that has to be done. The engine compartment has dust on it.

Granted obviously a frame off would make the frame look a little nicer. The underneath looks fine, what gross neglect do you speak off?

True a "SR" block wouldn't add value it would probably decrease a little in my opinion unless it was the original owner and a valid papers showing why it was installed. A "SR" block is better than any other block installed in the original's place I would think...

I agree with Darren, 3 weeks with that and I would have it mint. The owner probably has many cars like this and is more of an collector item for the sake of having one then a "oh my god would I love to own just ONE car like that"

Good conversation guys!