Old 05-30-2012, 12:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default aftermarket hood tach differences, Dont let this happen to you

I don't know if this thread is out of bounds in any way but I would just like to share an experience with all so you don't make the same mistake. First of all ,I became a member here on PY while trying to sell a car on Ebay and was introduced to the forum through Emails. And didn't even know aside from the words(Performance Years) that it originated from a knowledgeable pontiac parts source. I guess I need to expand my horizons, LOL. anyway that being said I purchased a aftermarket hood tach from The Parts Place, because a member here on the forums had one that came from that source and was correct. I went to Ebay and ordered from the Parts Place a 5100 rpm tach that was described as " Accepts factory heater vent" and is {100% correct in fit and finish) what more needs to be said right? well upon arrival I noticed that the bottom of the tach is completely different, has the light sockets spread further apart, and does not have the nipple to hook up the factory heater hose, Instead you are supposed to carve your opening in the hood larger and drill another hole up near the front to install the "vent hose kit" which is nothing like the original, the parts place claims they have sold thousands with no complaints, because "it does have a hole for a vent hookup". And that they sell to ALL THE SUPPLIERS without issue. I called Ames whom I have had a lot of help from over the years and have nothing but good intention, and they took one out of the box and said its supplied from the parts place and does not have the proper vent connection, ( same as mine) so informed him that his catalog was not accurate either and he is looking into it. It seems maybe they changed something along the way and people are not really aware of it yet?? After the Parts Place told me they will take it back but they will not refund shipping cost, and they "don't care" Yes thats what they said, I found that right here at PY I can purchase the correct part with the correct connections. In short "if its not to late for that", if you are buying a tach just "stay here", they are all mostly misrepresented, or make sure its not supplied by the people who . " Don't Care" Sorry stuff like this just ruffles my feathers, its all about profit and loss these days and some people just refuse to do the right thing. Its just $17.42 shipping and my time of packaging it right, and paying to send it back. If you buy one just buy it from someone who does care and will fess up if they are wrong. small problem,, Its the principle of it. sorry,, Shuttin- up

Old 06-01-2012, 08:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Good info to know. So PY sells the correct one?

Old 06-01-2012, 09:57 PM

It's sad what customer service has become these days... thanks for taking the time to spread the word on both the good and bad.

1970 Pontiac GTO
Orbit Orange Judge Re-creation / YZ RAIII 400 / M21 4-Speed
1985 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS
5.7 LITRE / TES Headers / SShaker Hood / WCT5 5-Speed
Old 06-02-2012, 07:51 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwankers View Post
Good info to know. So PY sells the correct one?
I have not held it my hand yet because I am waiting to get refund from The Parts Place before ordering it. But I spoke with someone at PY who was very nice and helpful, listened to my questions, and story and concerns , took one out of the box for me and looked it over and confirmed that is is like the original ,with the proper heater connection ,in the right location. and confirmed theres does not come from TPP,
Big difference from the people at TPP who don't know what they sell and don't care what they sell as long as you buy it, It cost me a total of $34.00 for shipping for something that was not as described right. They refuse to acknowledge the problem, and they said "We will not refund shipping" I said I have never left Neg feedback on Ebay before but you will have earned it, The said " I Don't Care"
I think most have more integrity than that, But I just thought that all should know that the parts place is not only selling something that will not work for a (restoration) part. But they are passing it along to unsuspecting suppliers to sell with misleading descriptions in there catalogs.( I believe without knowing it sometimes) So If you just need a tach to put on the lemans you drive its a great part, but if you have a top dollar show car, be sure you ask questions first,because if you get one of these TPP tachs you won't be a happy camper. I think Ames , Year one, Etc. Need to find out where PY gets the proper part and tell TPP, we don't need your tach anymore, "AND WE DONT CARE"

Old 06-02-2012, 07:57 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

People who care more about money than honesty and integrity and put it above all else, should stay out of the supply business and get a job in a bank !