Old 07-17-2013, 05:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 'nother one....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fireb...orcev4exp=true

Beautiful car.......but really WANTS to be a W72......

Probably worth 20K if it was.

Eye Candy......garage band?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUPcHxHRx3s

Go full screen & turn it UP!
Old 07-17-2013, 07:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I wonder if late 70's birds will ever be worth the price of a show quality
paint job. A beater 60's mustang that needs everything is worth more than a perfect
T/A.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtohurstjudge View Post
I wonder if late 70's birds will ever be worth the price of a show quality
paint job. A beater 60's mustang that needs everything is worth more than a perfect
T/A.
It wasn't THAT long ago that 70-73 T/A's were worth very little...so there IS still hope.

20 years ago,a Judge could still be had for cheap.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I remember looking at a '70 T/A at a POCI show in '93....nice car, thought the guy was crazy for wanting 11K!

As for this Formula, the red int. and sbc kill it for me. While it is nice, gettin a trophy at the Nats carries no weight.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Interesting to see the air cleaner setup on the Chevy engine. Strange how they crushed the air duct hose on the overflow bottle.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

wow very clean indeed

Old 07-18-2013, 06:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

***Note...I have the ORIGINAL Goodyear tires that came with the car in excellent condition on their Ralley Wheels. WOW! Their are in magnificent condition with over 90% tread on them and cannot find any signs of dry rot.I drove on them to the Trans AM Nationals last year and they rode fine.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by W72-Bandit View Post

As for this Formula, the red int. and sbc kill it for me.
Me too.....Not a BIG fan of red inside anything....

It doesn't flow well with the gold graphics on the car.

A Pontiac V8 & Camel Tan deluxe interior would have really made this one special.

I'll bet it was a customer order car....

Old 07-18-2013, 11:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by abefromen View Post
***Note...I have the ORIGINAL Goodyear tires that came with the car in excellent condition on their Ralley Wheels. WOW! Their are in magnificent condition with over 90% tread on them and cannot find any signs of dry rot.I drove on them to the Trans AM Nationals last year and they rode fine.

I agree with your .

Old 07-18-2013, 12:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice car ...just the interior....I've never understood why someone would order a SE or Black with a Gold bird and accents and red interior..just throws it off...red looks great with black with the right bird and accents.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

gm should have offered this combo...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1851A.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	330201  

Old 07-19-2013, 12:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You probably could have ordered one like that. In 77, I ordered a brand new 77 Malibu Classic just like I wanted it. Black with Firethorn red interior by the way .

Old 07-19-2013, 09:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

from what i have read & seen.. those decals were never offered or available for a black car, only on the white & silver t/a's. but as mentioned above, the gold decals clashed with the red interior too much for me, i had to do a custom look when it got repainted.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There were the standard factory combinations, but if you were aware of the decal color choices, I believe you could check off the color of decals you wanted on the order form to get what you wanted...as long as you left a cash down payment .

Old 07-19-2013, 10:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

i dont doubt that... but in all my years of this t/a hobby (25+) i have never seen an original 73-78 black t/a with any other color decals than gold. regardless of interior color. not in real life or on any of the multiple forums i have been a member of for 10+ years. which leads me to believe that pontiac just didnt allow or offer that on black t/a's. or people back in the 70's were too wrapped up in the "bandit craze" that they only wanted black & gold cars, or the select few "disco" people that ordered red interiors with their black & gold cars.

if you were buying a black t/a in 73-78 you could have any color decals you wanted... as long as they were gold!

Old 07-19-2013, 11:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I tend to agree on that........Been looking at these cars,BLACK ones,especially since I got mine in April 78.

There were several variations on the gold bird on black T/A's...non S/E's had some orange in them,as I recall...

I'll have to dig up my 78 dealer album & see if it specifies "chicken on paint colors".

I DO know that in 79,they loosened things up ALOT & you could get RED,Blue,Silver AND Gold on non-S/E black cars...

Old 07-19-2013, 11:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

yes, 79-81 gm woke up & offered other decal combos, the 79-81 charcoal/red decals looked great on black t/a's, although still a very rare color combo.

Old 07-19-2013, 12:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Off the top of my head I don't recall seeing any black 77-78 with silver decals but I've seen a couple 76 with them over the years.

Edit: I have a friend in Georgia with a black 78 that has silver decals but not sure it came that way....he has owned it for 25yrs though.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The original owner of my 79 Trans Am with white paint, red interior and orange and red decals tried to special order the car black with the red interior and orange and red decals
and Pontiac refused to build the car that way. He reordered the car in white instead.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Never wanted a "Bandit", I still cringe when I hear that name, to me they are SE's. When I first tried to order my '80, I wanted a turbo car in nocturn blue with gold graphics & dlx camel hobnail interior. "No could do, ext color wasn't available". Next, tried to order a '80 SE LU8 with black dlx interior & camel hobnail seats. Really liked the contrast of the camel hobnail & the black dash & black interior trim. Also had a friend with a loaded '79 SE with the black hobnail seats & we both hated the the way it showed lint on the seats. He was vacuuming it out nearly as much as he was at the carwash. Anyway, Dad worked for GMAC & ran the SE order through zone & they kicked it back twice. We should have kept ordering it, as it was "priority 1 sold", all they had to do was get a memo to Van Nuys & build the d#mn thing.

In October when the '80 SE finally arrived, two zone reps came down & wanted to drive it as it was the first turbo car in the state. I quickly remembered how they hadn't gone to bat for us (my Dad had always been good friends with zone guys) & told my Dad, there was NO way they were going to be out thrashing it before the engine was broken in. I took delivery a day later & three days later the same zone reps came down when Dad's Fiero Bronze LU8 came in. His mistake, he let them test drive it. They took it out west of the dealership on Hwy 62 & proceeded to mess up something in the top of the engine. Dad's new bronze turbo T/A set up at Weldon Cox for over 2 months waiting on parts. It was a p!sser, & he ended up trading his in late in '80. Still have mine, though its been mothballed, last project to be completed.