Old 10-11-2021, 08:09 AM

Default 66 Bonneville - how do I remove the dash pad?

Like the title says... Where are all the fasteners I have to remove so I can take the dash pad off? I know there are screws in the front that go up through the instrument panel ad into the dash pad. Are there any others I need to remove? I don't want to remove all those screws and start yanking on it and risk damaging something, so I figured I would ask first.

The service manual is a little light on details here.

Thanks!

Old 10-11-2021, 08:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's a recent discussion on removing the dash pad in a 1965 car, it should be pretty similar. https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...d.php?t=846968

Old 10-11-2021, 10:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just quickly, you are familiar with the phillips screws in the front around the perimiter. Then one phillips screw through the pad at the lower corners on each end of the pad. They are deeply recessed. Then the one hidden nut on a stud close to the radio speaker grille, to the firewall. That's the one that gets missed often. The spring clips , one at each corner of the pad is metal on a 66 vs plastic on a 65. The 66 will take more force to remove. I would use a plastic prying tool and be careful. If it's really stuck, you may have to work it from the backside. If you break a clip, I have a few spares in my weird clip MSC junk drawer. PM me and I will send you one or two as needed. It's a one year clip.

Last edited by mgarblik; 10-11-2021 at 10:14 AM.
Old 10-11-2021, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Here's a recent discussion on removing the dash pad in a 1965 car, it should be pretty similar. https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...d.php?t=846968
Thanks! Looking at that thread, I have a couple questions...

How do the wiper arms come off? Are they just pressed on, or is there a release tab somewhere that I have to press to get them off? Looking at them I don't see a tab to press...

Once the arms are off, are all the bolts for the cowl visible? Does the windshield trim have to come off? If so how does it come off without damaging it?

I know these sound like stupid simple questions to be asking but... I can rebuild an engine, tune a carburetor, rebuild a suspension etc... Under the car stuff I'm good with, body and trim not so much. And the last thing I want to do is go out to the garage and start forcing stuff and break a part that will be difficult or impossible to replace. Better to ask and look dumb in my book...

Thanks!

Old 10-11-2021, 06:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My experience is that all the above is making it sound VERY complicated. I own a 1966 Grand Prix and have had the dash top off several times and it was NOT difficult.

Working from memory, you need to remove the windscreen garnish on either side on the car. That's on the INSIDE of the car.

Unscrew the self tapper screws across the front of the dash plus the map light and lift off the top. I don't remember having to unscrew anything near the radio speaker but I might be wrong on that part.

But what I definitely do remember is I never had to work on anything outside the car. NOTHING to do with removing wipers or any such associated parts.

Old 10-11-2021, 07:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I might add to my earlier post that there are some significant differences in the assembly of a 1965 full size compared to a 1966 full size. I own one of each model.

Just for example, to remove the 3 round dash gauges (Battery, Fuel & Clock) out of a 1965 is a real task. got to take the dash top off, fiddle with the tiny nuts holding them in and replacing them is even a greater fiddle. On a '66, they are just held in with spring clips. Gently pry them from the front and out they pop.

I recall pulling the top off my 1965 dash top and it was a pain but it was so long ago I can't quite remember why? My car has been converted to Right Hand Drive so that might (or might not) have had something to do with it.

Another noticeable difference I remember is the assembly of the front door windows and their installation. The '65 was quite difficult yet the '66 was somewhat simpler.

I guess its all to do with progress..... as the production of these cars was running, the designers were always working out a way to make things a bit easier and therefor cheaper to build.

I went to a lecture here once where the guest speaker was a fellow named Leo Pruneu. He was a senior body designer for GM and I recall his last big car design was a the 1965 B body Chevrolet. After that car he was transferred to Australia to work at Holden design. He retired here. But one point I clearly recall from his lecture was the mantra that with every new car design, it had to be cheaper to build that the previous model. A 1965 car had to be cheaper to build than a 1964 model. A 1966 model had to be cheaper than a 1965 etc. And I am sure that was the same with Pontiac. Easier assembly = cheaper assembly.

Old 10-11-2021, 07:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heybuck View Post
My experience is that all the above is making it sound VERY complicated. I own a 1966 Grand Prix and have had the dash top off several times and it was NOT difficult.

Working from memory, you need to remove the windscreen garnish on either side on the car. That's on the INSIDE of the car.

Unscrew the self tapper screws across the front of the dash plus the map light and lift off the top. I don't remember having to unscrew anything near the radio speaker but I might be wrong on that part.

But what I definitely do remember is I never had to work on anything outside the car. NOTHING to do with removing wipers or any such associated parts.
There is a nut under the cowl on the passenger side that has to be removed.
Someone may have already removed it.