Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 10-25-2021, 05:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I8, we have gotten soft in our old age! And have you tried to find anyone that you would trust with a carb lately?

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
The Following User Says Thank You to 694.1 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2021, 06:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vckline313 View Post
Rms lighting... Hector Vega on Facebook.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Doesn't he have a website?

I don't do fascist book

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 10-25-2021, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
Doesn't he have a website?

I don't do fascist book
No website that I know of but you can give him a call and I'm sure he will take care of you. I rarely will promote someone like this but the quality price and service he gives is outstanding.

Old 10-25-2021, 06:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've been buying the glass housings that accept an H4 style bulb, and then installing LED's.

The glass housings look stock but the LED light output is way beyond anything a halogen can produce. Of course you can buy all kinds of different output LED's to suit your liking. I find the housings on the internet and usually grab them from Amazon for less than $20 or so.

Some may not like the idea but I think I'm one of the only people on this forum that actually drive the cars daily, and my wife really needs the extra lighting when it's dark outside driving to work. For me it's a matter of safety living outside the city where wild animals running everywhere can ruin your day quickly, and I want the best chance to see it before it causes any damage. I also like the idea of people not being able to say "I didn't see you coming"

Old 10-25-2021, 06:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vckline313 View Post
No website that I know of but you can give him a call and I'm sure he will take care of you. I rarely will promote someone like this but the quality price and service he gives is outstanding.

Thanks will do Always like checking out what others have to offer. If I had one complaint (and it's minor) of the housings I've been buying from Amazon it's that they are flat faced. Not convex like an original glass headlight. It appeared in your photo that they are in fact convex. Do they accept a typical H4 type of bulb?? What I mean is this isn't an LED housing all one piece, it has a replaceable bulb?

Old 10-25-2021, 08:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by i82much View Post
you guys drive me nuts with your fancy-schmancy fuel injection, overdrives, and now freaking headlights that work. whaddya want, a freaking car that’s safe and comfortable to drive? FOR CRYING OUT LOUD! THESE ARE FREAKING HOT RODS! YOU’RE SUPPOSED TO OPEN THE DOOR, BURN YOUR *SS ON THE HOT VINYL SEAT, CRANK THE CAR OVER REAL SLOWLY, BREATH A SIGH OF RELIEF WHEN IT FINALLY FIRES UP, CRUISE AT 3000 RPM AT 50 MPH ON THE HIGHWAY, PULL OVER TO COOL DOWN EVERY 30 MINUTES, AND NOT BE ABLE TO SEE A GODDAMNED THING MUCH LESS ACTUALLY STOP IN TIME TO AVOID HITTING IT WHEN YOU DRIVE A FREAKING OLD HOT ROD!!!!

sheesh. some people. THE NERVE!
Ha! That pretty much describes the experience of driving my '66 before restoration began. Add to that brakes that pull hard to the right, a dead blower motor (i.e., no defrost), and a brake light perpetually out due to bad wiring in steering column. All that definitely taught me how to be a cautious driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocktimusPryme View Post
My dad was aghast that I had the nerve to go out of my way to install a normal retractable three point harness seat belt in my 67. Because he doesn’t like to wear his seat belt. I was like, you can die in a deer strike if you want to. I’ll pass.
I'm with you there. I just bought some 3-point retractable belts from Morris Classic Concepts. They seem pretty nice, and it's great that they just bolt in with no drilling. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
The Following User Says Thank You to ZeGermanHam For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2021, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Thanks will do Always like checking out what others have to offer. If I had one complaint (and it's minor) of the housings I've been buying from Amazon it's that they are flat faced. Not convex like an original glass headlight. It appeared in your photo that they are in fact convex. Do they accept a typical H4 type of bulb?? What I mean is this isn't an LED housing all one piece, it has a replaceable bulb?
They are convex and they can accept other bulbs. As far as what kind I don't know, I bought entire setup but the bulbs were separate and had to be put into the fixtures

Old 10-25-2021, 08:18 PM

Quote:
This should give a better idea of the shape

Old 10-26-2021, 02:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 694.1 View Post
I8, we have gotten soft in our old age! And have you tried to find anyone that you would trust with a carb lately?
i hear ya. and i'm completely full of it. my car has a carb and no overdrive, but i only drive it on cool evenings on eastern WA country roads. so there's no traffic, no overheating, no sitting on hot seats, no worries about making it to work or appointments on time.

i love my car and i love driving my car. but there's no way i would rely on it as a daily driver again!

Old 10-26-2021, 02:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just reached out to the RMS guy. I like the idea of LED if I can get it for a reasonable price. See where it leads.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 10-26-2021, 02:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
My dad was aghast that I had the nerve to go out of my way to install a normal retractable three point harness seat belt in my 67. Because he doesn’t like to wear his seat belt. I was like, you can die in a deer strike if you want to. I’ll pass.
the guy i bought our place from used to plow our very steep driveway with a 1949 Oliver 77 tractor, no roll bar, two wheel drive, and very marginal brakes. I was like, no way - I put a snow plow on my pickup and bought a brand new JD tractor with ROPS for everything else. Every generation gets a little more safety conscious.

My brother, myself, and a few of our friends used to beat each other's heads in after school with boxing gloves. After all this CTE stuff going on with football players and boxers, there is no way on earth I would let my son do that.

I guess my grandkids (if i have them) will probably just live in germ-free bubbles or something.

Old 10-26-2021, 03:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by i82much View Post

I guess my grandkids (if i have them) will probably just live in germ-free bubbles or something.
I kinda think we are going to revert to some sort of gross/dangerous mean eventually. My girlfriend gets grossed out by restaurant tables that are still wet from wiping them down. We got sat at one the other day, and I licked the table just to prove it wouldnt hurt her. Tasted really bad but I got a laugh out of her, which was the goal.

FWIW I talked to the RMS dude, asked the basic questions. Its a bolt in kit, nor harness relay required. There was a basic instruction sheet on how to install the bulbs but thats really it. Comes with a secondary jumper harness to adapt the factory harness into the bright side LEDs.

Hes out of the 4x5.75s until November 8th projected. I think Im going to take a stab at them. That is a pretty reasonable price, and he has lots of pictures and comments of success stories on his Facebook page.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 10-26-2021, 03:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I kinda think we are going to revert to some sort of gross/dangerous mean eventually. My girlfriend gets grossed out by restaurant tables that are still wet from wiping them down. We got sat at one the other day, and I licked the table just to prove it wouldnt hurt her. Tasted really bad but I got a laugh out of her, which was the goal.
I, too, have licked things that tasted really bad just to get what I wanted out of a girl

The Following User Says Thank You to i82much For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2021, 04:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
FWIW I talked to the RMS dude, asked the basic questions. Its a bolt in kit, nor harness relay required. There was a basic instruction sheet on how to install the bulbs but thats really it. Comes with a secondary jumper harness to adapt the factory harness into the bright side LEDs.

Hes out of the 4x5.75s until November 8th projected. I think Im going to take a stab at them. That is a pretty reasonable price, and he has lots of pictures and comments of success stories on his Facebook page.
Thinking about these also...did Hector mention about any modifications required?
  • Sounds like the harness doesn't need to be altered, what about the buckets?
  • I am assuming that they would accommodate any LED bulb?

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 10-26-2021, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigto View Post
Thinking about these also...did Hector mention about any modifications required?
  • Sounds like the harness doesn't need to be altered, what about the buckets?
  • I am assuming that they would accommodate any LED bulb?
Nothing needs to be altered or cut. They went right in like a factory sealed bulb and harness plugs into factory harness

Old 10-28-2021, 09:52 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

So back to the original question...can anyone with the Lectric Limited T3s comment on how bright they are compared to OEM, halogen or even LED.

Obviously they are brighter than stock to meet current regulations (as advertised), but how much of a difference than 1970?

Old 10-28-2021, 11:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Since they are a sealed beam that doesn't look like anything special other than a T3 designation, I wouldn't expect them to be any brighter than a typical sealed beam halogen bulb. Especially since there is no mention of lumen output. That's my take on it anyway.

Certainly they aren't going to be brighter than a good quality LED. I haven't seen a sealed beam yet that puts out the light quality of a good LED.

Old 10-28-2021, 12:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thx Formulajones...that is my estimate also.

Since I probably won't be driving much at night and want to avoid relays, I'm wondering if those upgraded T3s would be sufficient and maintain the OEM look. All things considered though (i.e. no harness/bucket modifications required), I prefer as bright as possible (and am leaning toward LED). The only possible concern left is possible overheating/melting fans mentioned in a previous post by a member. I'm guessing this is a rare occurence with LED headlights?

Old 10-28-2021, 12:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigto View Post
Thx Formulajones...that is my estimate also.

Since I probably won't be driving much at night and want to avoid relays, I'm wondering if those upgraded T3s would be sufficient and maintain the OEM look. All things considered though (i.e. no harness/bucket modifications required), I prefer as bright as possible (and am leaning toward LED). The only possible concern left is possible overheating/melting fans mentioned in a previous post by a member. I'm guessing this is a rare occurence with LED headlights?
We are running LEDS in a few cars here now. I'm using a specific H4 style LED that I've found I like best, and they use fans. Most all of the good ones will use some sort of fan these days. Never an issue to date with mine. They are just small fans that run so quiet I can't even hear them come on.

What I've done is bought the glass housings from Amazon that I mentioned earlier, and I can run any style H4 LED in there I want. I've experimented with a few until I found one that puts out good lighting I was happy with.
The LED already comes with a short adapter harness so it's plug and play, and the glass housings I buy from Amazon bolt right into the factory headlight buckets with no modifications. It's really made the night time driving a much better experience, to the point I really don't like getting in the other cars at night that have sealed beam halogen bulbs, they are dull in comparison, lol.
Eventually I'll get them all switched over.

Old 10-28-2021, 12:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

May not be directly related but it was interesting. Note the amount of light reflected onto the carpet....

https://www.camaros.net/threads/t3-h...ations.366577/

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE