Old 01-24-2014, 09:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Question I can't make up my damn mind...

Decided to move forward with restoring the Judge. I originally was planning to put it back to the original Grenada Gold. Now I'm getting wishy-washy. Common sense says put it back to stock color, it's a numbers-matching driveline car. But I really like Orbit Orange and I am planning to keep the car and drive it/enjoy it, so why not paint it a color I prefer?
I also like Atoll Blue a LOT.

An Orbit Orange Judge would be damn cool. It would still be a real Judge and not a clone, just the wrong color, which is is right now. I am for sure not leaving it yellow. Does incorrect color really kill the value that much? I've seen some high end restorations where the color was changed and the car still sold for big $$$...

I think I can guess what some of you will say, but I am interested in hearing opinions...

1970 GTO Judge
RA-III, 4-SPD & A/C. Power Windows, Power Seat, Power Brakes, Steering, AM/FM, 8-Track, Formula Wheel, Rallye Gauges, Remote Mirror, Numbers Matching. Assembled at Pontiac, MI Plant 5/26/1970.

1968 GTO
461 CI, RA-III heads, Hotchkis springs, UMI suspension, Bilstein shocks, 12-bolt 3.73's.

1966 GTO Ragtop
4-Speed, AM/FM, Original driveline.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

golds and browns dont really thrill many..

id go orbit for sure...but then again i dont give a flyin' f what anyone else thinks...

crdinal red just works for a 70 too

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 01-24-2014, 09:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The more you love it - the longer you'll stay married to it.
Do what you would have done in 1970
Then enjoy it like its 1980 again

Old 01-24-2014, 10:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Zeppelin View Post
Do what you would have done in 1970
x2.

But I would go with Atoll before OO. Too many OO clones out there. Kind of like having a '69 Camaro - too d@mn common.

My $.02.

Scott

Old 01-25-2014, 12:01 AM
Senior Chief

Although its a nice problem to have

The Following User Says Thank You to grrrrregg!!! For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2014, 09:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You'll likely increase the value by changing the color... as the size of the market for the car goes up significantly when you move from an undesirable color to something more flashy.

Old 01-25-2014, 09:16 AM

OO is very eye catching. I would go with just about anything but red. It's your car, do as you like.

Old 01-25-2014, 09:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The market tends to look down it's nose at Grenada Gold for whatever reason - I doubt it would hurt the value of the car to paint it OO & if you enjoy it more - go for it.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 01-25-2014, 10:02 AM
Senior Chief

Default Granada Gold

It is also refreshing to see the odd ball, not so common colors on a real Judge. Presented as ordered sometimes has a bigger impact than the popular "impact" colors. Granada Gold is a nice period earth tone from the 70's, done properly would be very classy. But go with what your gut tells you, its not all about what makes the car worth $$.

Old 01-25-2014, 10:11 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My 68 GTO {Certified GTO Gold level} looked great in K2 Meridian turquise, but I feel the value was compermised when I sold it. Should have stayed with T code Beige.

Last edited by red1975pacer; 01-25-2014 at 11:07 AM.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:01 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Saw a 70 Judge at Mecum yesterday that was supposed to be Cardinal Red with a white painted top. It was restored with Cardinal Red top and bottom. I would have liked to seen it restored "as built" but that is just me. I used to hate Verdoro Green. However when you get tired of seeing so many of the more popular colors a car in a color not often seen attracts more attention.

Bottom line is you have to do what you want. As mentioned the color you are choosing won't hurt the value in the general market.

Mark C

Old 01-25-2014, 03:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My advice is to only switch colors if you are fairly certain that you will keep the car for a "long time." After a "long time", it may need to be painted again anyway.

With mine, I enjoy seeing that it is as close to correct as possible, which includes the paint. But mine is CR so that might be an advantage over some colors.

I appreciate nice paint--whatever the color. My Firebird is Mayfair Maize, and I would not change the color.

Some people know all of their rights, but none of their obligations.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You will devalue that Judge by not restoring it correctly with as built factory built color combo.
Simple fact.

Owner/Operator of Pure Stock Auto Restorations Inc.
www.purestockauto.com

1969 GTO Judge Ram Air IV M21 4 speed 3:90
1970 GTO Judge Ram Air III M21 4 speed 3:90 Oshawa Built
1970 GSX Stage 1 M21 4 Speed 3.64 # 67 of 678 Original Paint
1970 GSX Stage 1 Auto 3.64 # 603 of 678 12.44@109.73 mph 2011 Buick GS Nats Pure Stock, 12.71@110.64 mph PSMCDR 2011
1970 GS Stage 1 Convertible Auto 3:64 12.71@109.15 mph PSMCDR 2009
1970 GS 455 M21 4 Speed 3.42
1987 GN Astro Roof
Old 01-25-2014, 06:38 PM
Suspended

Default The Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishieldchief View Post
You will devalue that Judge by not restoring it correctly with as built factory built color combo.
Simple fact.
Rich how did I ever guess you would have said that.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You seem to be proud that you have a Judge. Now you can easily have it all correct and number matching the way it should be.

I think with GTO's: Judges, RAIV, 455HO or convertibles should be restored to original. Especially if your "restoration" is a frame off, detailed chassis, correct nuts and bolts, suspension, bushings and all that stuff, then just go with original colors.

Once you start changing exterior and interior colors your car looses its born-with personality. You may as well pickup a lemans with a 350, swap, paint and build what you want and drive it how ever you want.

Ultimately its your decision, which ever way you go with it you're going to enjoy it.

Last edited by rustedgoat; 01-25-2014 at 07:36 PM.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:51 PM

and when u drive it some where u are going to get asked a couple of questions. is it a real judge? is it number matching? and is that the original color? at least that's what I get asked

Old 01-25-2014, 10:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Financially speaking....If you want to restore a Judge, and you want it to be OO when it's done.... sell the one you have, and use the cash to buy an OO car needing a resto.

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
Old 01-25-2014, 10:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Paint it pink if ya want,its your car.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

heres a $100k resto..lets see what it brings....i bet it not what an OO color change done the same way would bring..

devalue because of a bad color changed to a desirable? doubt it...know your market..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pontiac-GTO-...US_Cars_Trucks

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 01-25-2014, 11:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxjunk View Post
heres a $100k resto..lets see what it brings....i bet it not what an OO color change done the same way would bring..

devalue because of a bad color changed to a desirable? doubt it...know your market..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pontiac-GTO-...US_Cars_Trucks
X2.