THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-03-2017, 11:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Security Camera

I'm looking for an autonomous and self sustaining (battery) security cam for a property that I just bought north of here. I like the look of the dome camera as a deterrent. When I get the power on I'll install a hardwired unit. Until then, I'll go up every few days and review the chip card. Anyone have any experience with something like that? I just want to see if anyone is skulking around, as I've moved some toys up there already. A friend suggested maybe a game camera, but I'm not sure if that is the right solution.

Old 01-03-2017, 11:57 PM
Senior Chief

Default Security Camera

I was playing with some webcams in my garage and it's a little tougher than I thought to get something that triggers upon movement and actually captures pictures that can identify someone. Then you have to trade cameras that store locally vs. uploading to the web (which likely isn't an option in the stix). I think the best solution includes multiple cameras and motion sensing lights.

1. Motion sensing lights and a visible camera may serve as a deterrent.
2. Motion sensing lights may serve to trigger other cameras, hopefully with higher resolution.

Why is it tough?

- my cameras would trigger with every lighting change (100 per day) but wouldn't notice me riding a motorcycle into the garage
- ever try to ID someone in a hoody using a crappy camera?
- thieves can steal the camera and data along with your junk

Since you don't have power, I'd recommend a solar powered motion light, cheap or fake, visible security camera and a hidden game camera to catch people while they're focused on the plainly visible camera.

I should caveat this by saying I have no idea what I'm talking about. By far, the best way to keep stuff from getting stolen is if they don't know you have it. Visible eye candy will always be enticing to low-life scum.

"Individual results may vary..."

Last edited by trailwing; 01-04-2017 at 12:21 AM.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Take a look at Ring,might work for you.Tom

Old 01-04-2017, 09:33 AM

ARLO Pro camera, wireless and battery operated.
Added bonus is they are weather proof and motion activated.

I mounted mine after Thanksgiving and the batteries are still charged up well.

I can log into them from any where on my phone to turn off or on and or to view a live feed plus I have internet storage.

I had them out of the box and up and running in less than 25 minutes, they work on wifi and have a far range.
I didn't want to have to deal with all that hard wire mess.

Last edited by Mattman; 01-04-2017 at 09:40 AM.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:03 AM

Whoops, just remembered you don't have power.

Never mind.

Old 01-04-2017, 10:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That's OK, I appreciate the suggestions. I'm trying to expedite getting the services back on. In the meanwhile I can put the hardwired camera in a conspicuous spot to show at least a presence there, even if its not operational. The solar powered motion light is a good idea as well.

Old 01-04-2017, 11:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My buddy bought a system that uses an app that uses batteries and his cell phone..someone was taking his electronics from his cars etc..which in 45 years they never lost anything..suddenly all kinds if stuff was missing..he hid a few cameras and figured out it was his favorite nephew and his little thug skate boarding buddies...but mostly his nephew..he was crushed..

it records everything on the cloud, when the motion detector fires off, it notifies him on his cell and he can watch it live...etc..no power needed..around 300 bux...he has one at the door to watch deliveries etc..loves it, and he researched it a bunch..got it at wallyworld..

he caught me in his scrap metal pile and called me and said "what ya doin' ? " and i told him rumaging thru some idiots good trash and gonna make a million bux..i turned around and waved at the camera, and he showed me the tape, and as far away as i was, i could recognize it was me, great resolution...and i scored an LS1 oil pan and exhaust manifolds for free too..lol

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 01-04-2017, 12:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

wildlife camera?

where I used to work the environmental group would put it by the water pond up in the mountains, they would get cool photos/videos of mountain lions stalking their techs on the mornings that they would go test the water. Pretty crazy

I believe the used SD cards and D sized batteries

68 Firebird 400, YC 400, Hbeam rods, ported 670 heads (2.11i, 1.77e valves), 1.65 RRs, Torker 2 intake, Nodular Crank, Eaton Limited Slip, Richmond 3.55 gears, M-20 M4
97 Trans Am WS6, LT1, M6, FLP LTs, Cutouts, Flowmaster catback, Jet Airfoil, K&N air filter, MSD Opti and Coil
14 Fiat 500e 83kW motor, 24kWh lithium ion battery, +2 sized summer tires
Old 01-04-2017, 12:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was thinking trail cameras

http://www.opticsplanet.com/trail-cameras.html

Old 01-04-2017, 01:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Mark what brand are these?

Old 01-04-2017, 02:04 PM

I have the Ring system at my house, it self contained battery powered, motion detection, can access via my cell phone or computer. But it does require a wifi connection. I love it, and it sets up in about 15-20 minutes, and can be moved around if desired. Picked it up at Best Buy for $199. I am impressed with quality and operation.

https://ring.com/stickupcam

Old 01-04-2017, 02:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i will ask him tonight...he told me but i cant remember

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 01-04-2017, 02:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dennis, how many units in the box for 199.00?

Cool you can talk to them..... "Please take one step back" and a net drops on em. Got ya ya filthy animal! LOL

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post

Cool you can talk to them..... "Please take one step back" and a net drops on em. Got ya ya filthy animal! LOL
$199 a camera

Old 01-04-2017, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post

Yea, it is $199 per camera, and there is a yearly fee of $32.00 if you want to keep history via the cloud, that you can access any time you want. If you don't care about keeping history there is no charge. I am going to get a 2nd or 3rd camera soon. I wanted to start with one to see if I like it or not. I was able to conceal mine, so when someone comes to the door they never see it. Battery power lasts about 2-3 months, and recharges just like a cell phone.

Old 01-04-2017, 10:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I checked out the ARLO Pro cameras tonight at Best Buy. They have a four pack for $499.00.

Old 01-05-2017, 12:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well I'll definitely be getting a Ring or an Arlo for my home. I'll swing by the Best Buy and grab one or the other. Sometimes the decision is made easy when one brand is out of stock.