Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-25-2002, 12:09 AM

On the way to work tonight, my car would start to die whenever I came to a stop. It did this for a few blocks, then stalled out. It started up again long enough for me to pull out into the intersection, then died again. Now it won't start. I pushed it into the nearest parking lot and took a quick look to see the problem - no fuel is getting to the carb. I pushed the throttle arm a few times and no fuel squirted out into the carb. I checked the lines and didn't see any problems, no leaks. I couldn't spend any more time on it 'cause I had to get to work. It's in a place that I can't stay in past Monday, and I don't think I'll be able to get a tow truck on base so I need everyones input as to what would be the easiest things/what to check first. Thanks!
P.S. it's a '75 T/A, 400/th350, Carter 750 carb, everything is pretty much stock.

Old 03-25-2002, 12:09 AM

On the way to work tonight, my car would start to die whenever I came to a stop. It did this for a few blocks, then stalled out. It started up again long enough for me to pull out into the intersection, then died again. Now it won't start. I pushed it into the nearest parking lot and took a quick look to see the problem - no fuel is getting to the carb. I pushed the throttle arm a few times and no fuel squirted out into the carb. I checked the lines and didn't see any problems, no leaks. I couldn't spend any more time on it 'cause I had to get to work. It's in a place that I can't stay in past Monday, and I don't think I'll be able to get a tow truck on base so I need everyones input as to what would be the easiest things/what to check first. Thanks!
P.S. it's a '75 T/A, 400/th350, Carter 750 carb, everything is pretty much stock.

Old 03-25-2002, 12:18 AM
Senior Chief

sounds like fule pump to me. safly pour a little gads in the carb and see if it starts. could be the filter also.

Old 03-25-2002, 01:15 AM

I really hope it's not the fuel pump, it's about 8 months old so it shouldn't be. Pulling that thing would be a real PITA.

Old 03-25-2002, 03:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Out of gas? Fuel pump shot. Filter plugged. Bad line leaking. There's a small section, about a foot, of rubber line on Fbodys about midway up from the tank that often deteriorates.

Old 03-25-2002, 03:47 AM

Well, I've got gas, pulled the filter, it's good. I know the place you're talking about, I replaced that about 6 months ago. I disconnected the fuel line from the carb and cranked the engine - no fuel came out. All the lines from the tank look good and I didn't see any evidence of leakage so I'm guessing it's the pump. Any way to tell if it's bad for sure? I just don't want to spend the time and money on a new pump if it's not the real problem. If anybody cares, I did manage to get the car moved to a better spot (don't ask me how...). It was parked next to a General's parking spot, not a good place to be doing engine work. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

[ March 25, 2002: Message edited by: Reed '75_T/A ]</p>

Old 03-25-2002, 08:03 PM
Boost Engineer

Did you check the filter sock in the TANK? If you
have no fuel, the gas gage shows fuel and none
comes out the fuel line from the pump, disconnect
the line before the pump and see if gas comes out. Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 03-25-2002, 08:08 PM
Boost Engineer

To save your A$$ from the General, if the pump
checks out ok, Wire a 2 gallon gas tank to the grill, stick hose in tank, hook up other end to
fuel pump inlet, get car started, drive off base,
to place where car can be repaired. Have done it
before. Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 03-26-2002, 08:30 AM

Thanks guys. Tom, I think you had it right. I pulled the lines feeding into the pump - no gas. Pulled the line mid-way down the body - no gas. Pulled the line going out of the tank. It was dark out and my flashlight went dead so I don't know if the line was clogged or the screen had a problem or what but when I hooked it back up, poured some fuel into the line from the carb, it sputtered back to life and drove home fine. Only problem, I think I messed up the sending unit at the tank when I was fumbling around with it 'cause now my fuel gauge is way off. Aaahhhh yes, that's why I love these cars, always something new!

Old 03-26-2002, 09:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

...sounds to me like the dry-rotted rubber fuel hose coming out of the gastank was letting the fuelpump suck air rather than fuel.

H.I. Stud

Sold 2003: 12.00/112MPH/1.61 60'/26"x3.31:1/10"/469 #48/245-255-110LSA/Q-Jet-Torker/3650Lbs//18MPG 94oct
Sold 1994: 11.00/123MPH/1.50 60'/29.5"x4.10:1/10"/469 #48/245-255-110LSA/Dual600s-Wenzler/3250Lbs//94oct