Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 12-10-2018, 10:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default OP Gauge issue revisited

1969 GTO, 468 stroker........ car developed an issue with OP gauge not working correctly....... sent gauge to Pete S to rebuild...gauge came back looking great. Upon installing the gauge, it responded well, going to zero with ignition on.

Once the car was started needle went to past 80psi. Needle would go to about half once engine is warmed up....any touch of the gas pedal needle goes to past 80psi. changed op sending unit several times with new and old units...older one seem to work slightly better.

Installed a mechanical gauge.....OP was perfect at all times....

With ignition in the on position needle to to past 80psi, once and a while if I wiggle ignition or shift trans back and fourth needle goes to 0 with ignition on.

While driving, the op gauge reads perfect at idle like at stoplights or stop signs but once accelerlator is touched needle returns to +80psi.

I plan to ask Pete S. very nicely if he would mind checking the gauge again with my supplied op sending units. But before I do that want to check all I can on my end..... seems like when the ignition on position is sending some kind of ground signal to op gauge......

any ideas where I could begin my search for this gremlin ? Thanks.......

Old 12-10-2018, 10:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ground issue? What about your printed circuit board, new or original? I think when I did my gauges I added a chassis ground. Just a couple of thoughts...

Old 12-10-2018, 11:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mook View Post
Installed a mechanical gauge.....OP was perfect at all times....

With ignition in the on position needle to to past 80psi, once and a while if I wiggle ignition or shift trans back and fourth needle goes to 0 with ignition on.

While driving, the op gauge reads perfect at idle like at stoplights or stop signs but once accelerlator is touched needle returns to +80psi.
Define "OP was perfect". How much pressure is "perfect"? What does the electric gauge read when the "mechanical" gauge is "perfect"?

Wild Guesses based on not enough info: You have two separate problems.
1. Wrong sending unit
2. Fault in the power supply for the gauge--possibly in the ignition switch. A wiring diagram would help to locate the power fault.

Old 12-11-2018, 06:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponchjoe View Post
Ground issue? What about your printed circuit board, new or original? I think when I did my gauges I added a chassis ground. Just a couple of thoughts...
Good question... yes new circuit board....!

Old 12-11-2018, 07:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurkey View Post
Define "OP was perfect". How much pressure is "perfect"? What does the electric gauge read when the "mechanical" gauge is "perfect"?

Wild Guesses based on not enough info: You have two separate problems.
1. Wrong sending unit
2. Fault in the power supply for the gauge--possibly in the ignition switch. A wiring diagram would help to locate the power fault.
Yes I need to add more info....
Tried several sending units... plan to send them out to
get checked with OP gauge

I will try looking in the shop manual to see what wires are are in that switch that could affect op gauge and take a look at those wires when I take the dash out

“Perfect oil pressure”... probably wrong term.... reading with mechnical gauge seemed right ... about 80psi when cold.... 30-40psi at idle warm... with a 80lbs Oil pump

Thx for your input!!

Old 12-12-2018, 05:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The shifter wiggle brings two things to mind..

(1) Missing ground strap from engine to firewall.

(2) Wires touching/moving when backdrive linkage twists the column.

Clay

Old 12-13-2018, 11:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Good reading here...

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...84#post5850584

Old 12-16-2018, 01:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by "QUICK-SILVER" View Post
The shifter wiggle brings two things to mind..

(1) Missing ground strap from engine to firewall.

(2) Wires touching/moving when backdrive linkage twists the column.

Clay
I will check ground straps... and for wires around the trans linkage and column area......thanks

Old 12-16-2018, 01:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Thanks..... for the link... very interesting......

I did check the blue wire to sending unit noticed, when that wire is unplugged from the sending unit and quickly plugged back, the gauge responds correctly (going to zero) with ignition in the on position for up to two or three on off cycles........then the needle goes back to 80psi as if the wire is grounded or unplugged form sending unit.

I was thinking if I remove the harness from the fuse box and run an independent wire from op sending unit to fuse box.....or just run the independent wire to the front of fuse box to the fuse for the op gauge........

Would this help eliminate the blue wire in the harness as the culprit?, even though that harness was installed new about 2 years ago.......

thanks........

Last edited by Mook; 12-16-2018 at 02:16 PM.
Old 12-23-2018, 09:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Update

Took a close look at the plug to OP switch, could see bare wire at the base of the plug. For the past week, the OP gauge has been responding correctly to keying the ignition on and off.

Attempted to sure up the connection with electrical tape. So far gauge still responding to "0" with key on. Will check operation with car running, maybe tomorrow.

Thx.....