THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 05-21-2015, 01:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default My sons car in Mopar Magazine

My Son just got back from the Motor Trend/Hot Rod Magazine Headquarters in LA. They interviewed him and shot his car to be on the cover of the November issue of Mopar Muscle Magazine. The car is not the run of the mill nor traditional type of build that most guys here would like. But it is still quite an accomplishment and as a car guy, it makes me so very proud of him. The car is a 2006 Chrysler 300 SRT8. But it is flat black, lowered and built in the Mad Max look. The big draw is the original 6.1 Hemi, topped with a fully operational 6-71 blower, twin throttle bodies, but running underdriven to about 6-7 lbs. The original Hemi is a higher compression motor so he needed to stay in the lower boost area for longevity. This is a pic of the car.

He has removed the rear door outer door handles and added electric door openers located on the posts between the doors. So you just reach in and trip the switch to open the rear doors.
For the photo shoot he cut his hair in a tall spiked Mohawk and dressed in a beat up old leather bikers jacket and old jeans. So, I just wanted to tell everyone how proud I am of my Son, car or no car, and if you are into Mopars at all. Take a look at the November magazine.

Side note. He has been working his way towards a full engine build since the original engine has near 190,000 miles on it. He wants to build it to handle much more power provided by the blower. I just got off the phone with him (now the day after getting home from LA), while under full throttle passing a truck on the way to work this morning, the motor just let completely go. He found aluminum parts from piston/pistons in the tail pipe. He said it started to shake and shimmy and the power dropped off the like he let off the throttle. He looked in the rearview mirror and saw nothing but white smoke. He said he felt like the Blue Angels trailing the smoke.
Time for the new bullet!!!!! He planned to use the block and heads form his motor for the new build so I hope they weren't hurt. But when pieces of pistons are coming thru the exhaust system out the tail pipe. Well we'll see.

Mark

Old 05-21-2015, 02:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pretty cool! Congrats on him gettin in the rag!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Treat Me Good, I'll Treat You Better; Treat Me Bad, I'll Treat You Worse"
Sonny Barger
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 05-21-2015, 02:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That's a cool car.

Back in high school, we used to put turbochargers on our grocery-getter 4 cyl Hondas, then go out and spank 5 liter Mustangs all day long. Even at 9.7:1 compression and "only" 6 pounds of boost, those engines didn't last very long. (but longer than the clutches.)

Old 05-21-2015, 05:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris65LeMans View Post
That's a cool car.

Back in high school, we used to put turbochargers on our grocery-getter 4 cyl Hondas, then go out and spank 5 liter Mustangs all day long. Even at 9.7:1 compression and "only" 6 pounds of boost, those engines didn't last very long. (but longer than the clutches.)

Yeah, I had buddies big into DSMs (turbo eclipses and talons) Very easy to get those little AWD cars into the 12s, which was faster than stockish LS1s in the early 2000's. Engines were shaky on reliability, but nothing compared to the 5 speeds. The aftermarket just wasnt there for them, I saw one car go through at least 6 transmissions.

And to the OP thats awesome. Super neat car. I would love to make the cut for a magazine

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 05-21-2015, 07:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Very cool Mark!! Maybe he can pick up a pull-A-part motor to get him by for a bit??

POCI.org
Old 05-21-2015, 10:37 PM
Suspended

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by marks73ta View Post
My Son just got back from the Motor Trend/Hot Rod Magazine Headquarters in LA. They interviewed him and shot his car to be on the cover of the November issue of Mopar Muscle Magazine. The car is not the run of the mill nor traditional type of build that most guys here would like. But it is still quite an accomplishment and as a car guy, it makes me so very proud of him. The car is a 2006 Chrysler 300 SRT8. But it is flat black, lowered and built in the Mad Max look. The big draw is the original 6.1 Hemi, topped with a fully operational 6-71 blower, twin throttle bodies, but running underdriven to about 6-7 lbs. The original Hemi is a higher compression motor so he needed to stay in the lower boost area for longevity. This is a pic of the car.

He has removed the rear door outer door handles and added electric door openers located on the posts between the doors. So you just reach in and trip the switch to open the rear doors.
For the photo shoot he cut his hair in a tall spiked Mohawk and dressed in a beat up old leather bikers jacket and old jeans. So, I just wanted to tell everyone how proud I am of my Son, car or no car, and if you are into Mopars at all. Take a look at the November magazine.

Side note. He has been working his way towards a full engine build since the original engine has near 190,000 miles on it. He wants to build it to handle much more power provided by the blower. I just got off the phone with him (now the day after getting home from LA), while under full throttle passing a truck on the way to work this morning, the motor just let completely go. He found aluminum parts from piston/pistons in the tail pipe. He said it started to shake and shimmy and the power dropped off the like he let off the throttle. He looked in the rearview mirror and saw nothing but white smoke. He said he felt like the Blue Angels trailing the smoke.
Time for the new bullet!!!!! He planned to use the block and heads form his motor for the new build so I hope they weren't hurt. But when pieces of pistons are coming thru the exhaust system out the tail pipe. Well we'll see.

Mark
Congrats and Luv It! Keep us posted on the replacement Bullet

Old 05-22-2015, 08:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep, it looks cool!

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:19 AM

I like the Mad Max scoop very cool and retro. Now all he needs is a button to turn the supercharger on and off.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Very nice! I always likes old school blowers on top of modern power plants.

The scoop is very cool. I always say if I ever build an engine with a blower it'll have that scoop!

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 05-22-2015, 11:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Mark you created a monster in your son who has followed in your footsteps congratulations

Congrats on your son's two minute fame in motor trend / hot rod magazine

Custom Roller Cam, 1.52 Roller Rockers
Quadrajet done by Cliff
3:42 gears

12.075 @ 112.70
12.092 @ 112.43
12.128 @ 111.71

Old 05-22-2015, 12:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Very cool!

68 Firebird, trying a q-jet now. 434/10.5:1/997's/240-242 HFT/4L80E/2800 Yank/3.42's/ Vintage Air/ 13.0 @105 mph
70 Lemans, 350/350, A/C, mostly stock
14 Ram CC, 5.7 Hemi, 8-speed, 3.92 lsd
97 Trans Am, HPP Aug 2012 http://www.highperformancepontiac.co...tiac_trans_am/ ***Sold***
Old 05-22-2015, 05:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by form74 View Post
Mark you created a monster in your son who has followed in your footsteps congratulations

Congrats on your son's two minute fame in motor trend / hot rod magazine
Hey Gary. Good to see your name pop up. Yeah, he's a chip off the ol' block. He's one heck of a kid (38 years old but I still have to call him a kid, ya know). He has more great ideas such as Gatling gun front turn signals in the lower valance and he has a second trunk lid that he wants to modify to look like twin round gas tanks like the original Mad Max car.

Now he can go ahead and build a motor worthy of the blower.

Mark

Old 05-22-2015, 10:06 PM

Congrats to your Son on the Mag.

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 08-24-2015, 08:47 AM
Suspended

Proof you are proud

1 http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=774418