THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 05-06-2023, 11:14 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default $93 Freezer Light

I have a Kitchenaid fridge/freezer. It's about 6 years old. The Freezer light went out. I discover it's a LED light. Not a bulb but a light assembly. $93 dollars for the part. That's ridiculous. And not only that, but I wonder at what point it won't be available anymore?

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share
The Following User Says Thank You to jhein For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2023, 12:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

For the limited amount of time the light is on (only when the door is open) it's a little surprising it failed, I assume it was considered a lifetime part. Having said that, if the replacement also only lasts six years that will mean the fridge will twelve years old, and chances are many other parts will no longer be available by then and/or it will be time for a new refrigerator anyway.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2023, 12:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If you can, try and get a type and part number for the light. The light may be much less expensive from other sources ,most likely chinese. May be from china anyway.
I have an IKEA oven made by Whirlpool. From Whirlpool, the light bulbs were/are $40. Using the bulb type and number, after googling for a bit I managed to find it for $5. I bought four. So far I have at least the same amount of time on them as the originals.
As a side note, on my first attempt I found the proper type but the wrong wattage.

66 Chevy II 461 Pontiac in AZ
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tooski For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2023, 01:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhein View Post
I have a Kitchenaid fridge/freezer. It's about 6 years old. The Freezer light went out. I discover it's a LED light. Not a bulb but a light assembly. $93 dollars for the part. That's ridiculous. And not only that, but I wonder at what point it won't be available anymore?
Like most LED's the bulb is probably fine. The tiny ac dc converter probably burned out

Old 05-06-2023, 01:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooski View Post
If you can, try and get a type and part number for the light. The light may be much less expensive from other sources ,most likely chinese. May be from china anyway.
I have an IKEA oven made by Whirlpool. From Whirlpool, the light bulbs were/are $40. Using the bulb type and number, after googling for a bit I managed to find it for $5. I bought four. So far I have at least the same amount of time on them as the originals.
As a side note, on my first attempt I found the proper type but the wrong wattage.
I do this ALL THE TIME on appliance parts, all appliance parts. Get a part number, then Google or go on EBay for a replacement. Heating elements, igniters, ect. The China made replacement lasts as long as the original, and a fraction of the cost.

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 67drake For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2023, 02:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yeah, I found it for a little less on ebay but I decided to get it direct from the manufacturer because I was worried about getting an inferior part. I realize they could be identical but it wasn't worth the difference to take a chance.

Old 05-06-2023, 05:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67drake View Post
I do this ALL THE TIME on appliance parts, all appliance parts. Get a part number, then Google or go on EBay for a replacement. Heating elements, igniters, ect. The China made replacement lasts as long as the original, and a fraction of the cost.
X2

Most of the original equipment is made in China anyway. They're probably coming from the same factory.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
The Following User Says Thank You to 72projectbird For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2023, 05:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

EReplacementparts.com
https://www.ereplacementparts.com/?u...placementparts

Old 05-08-2023, 04:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Light should outlive the refrigerator. New appliances these days have a 7-10 year service life.

Old 05-08-2023, 08:57 AM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Wink

Solution: Harbor Freight $1 tiny LED flashlight.

Don't encourage them.

~Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Dillon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2023, 12:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We had to replace our five year old Maytag ( made by Whirlpool) washer last year because the main PC board shorted out due to Duke Energy being able to keep the power on our trunk on reliable. Had two replacement boards shipped in; the primary board and the motor control board, both made in China.Turns out the main power supply is what was affected, but that wasn’t available so we replaced the Maytag with a Speed Queen; made in Minnesota, not in Mexico with Chinese parts.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
The Following User Says Thank You to hurryinhoosier62 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2023, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhein View Post
What is the model number of your refrigerator and the part number of the light assy. I used to repair appliances and would like to look it up. Electronic part obsolesces seems to be a problem.

Old 05-09-2023, 02:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A little over a year ago, the evaporator fan/motor was randomly making a RACKET in our downstairs fridge. I took it apart, checked for a problem I could fix and found nothing that stood out. I put it back together. It still would sound like it was coming apart from time to time, so I ordered a new fan/motor from Amazon.

It hasn't made a sound since I placed the order.....but I'm ready when it does.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 05-09-2023, 07:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Almost as a big a rip-off as the $50 water filters that supposedly need replacing every 6 months. One of the biggest scams going...

2015 Challenger R/T Plus, hemi, Sublime
Old 05-09-2023, 08:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

It gets even better. So I got the light today and I replaced it. Still doesn't work! LOL. Oh well, I'll just eat more carrots.

Old 05-09-2023, 11:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Have you checked to see if power is getting to the light? I imagine the power goes through a door switch, which could be suspect too.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2023, 11:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Have you checked to see if power is getting to the light? I imagine the power goes through a door switch, which could be suspect too.
That's the next thing I thought of, the switch. I checked that with my finger. I was being lazy and tried swapping the light fixture while the fridge was still hot. As I was trying to disconnect the tiny little terminals on the board, I got a little buzz from something I touched, so I know it has power.

So It's either a defective new light assembly (unlikely) or there's something else going on other than the light assembly or the switch.

Whatever, maybe this is the beginning of the end. For now it's still doing it's most important job which is cooling and freezing, so I'll see if I can figure it out. If not the carrots are cheap and they're otherwise good for you.

Old 05-10-2023, 12:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

New stuff is complicated junk. In some/most cases.. Technology is more trouble that its worth.

It seems they pay people to complicate the simplest things.

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
Old 05-11-2023, 08:56 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

We have a Whirlpool Gold side-by-side that I discovered has a known design flaw that they won't fix/take accountability for. The freezer door cuts through the wires running through the bottom hinge over time (literally just after the 3 yr warranty expired). Ice maker is fubar. Not saying this is your issue, but check for anything.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400